Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The iPod Generation are worse off. Discuss.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    BlackArab wrote:
    Well its not rocket science, if young people can show half the enthusiasm for voting in an election as they do for Big Brother politicians will take them seriously. If you were a pol who would you listen to the electorate or those who can't be arsed?

It was amazing how many young people who complained about Blair (and even Bush!) getting re-elected but didnt bother vote themselves. :rolleyes:

I hate the "you must vote or you have no right to complain attitude". When there's the choice of bad, worse and horrific then is there a choice at all?
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    Well its not rocket science, if young people can show half the enthusiasm for voting in an election as they do for Big Brother politicians will take them seriously. If you were a pol who would you listen to the electorate or those who can't be arsed?

It was amazing how many young people who complained about Blair (and even Bush!) getting re-elected but didnt bother vote themselves. :rolleyes:

What difference does voting make?
  • Options
    I hate the "you must vote or you have no right to complain attitude". When there's the choice of bad, worse and horrific then is there a choice at all?

Hate it all you like mate but the fact is pols listen to the electorate, harsh but true. I wonder just how many people are interested in actually finding out which party's policies they consider 'bad, worse or horrific'.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    Hate it all you like mate but the fact is pols listen to the electorate, harsh but true. I wonder just how many people are interested in actually finding out which party's policies they consider 'bad, worse or horrific'.

The thing is, there is very little difference between the political parties, so why should people bother trying to find out what the miniscule differences are?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What difference does voting make?

Andrew Haldenby, director of Reform, blames policy-makers who "ignore the interests of young people in favour of appealing to pensioners and those more likely to vote". (taken from original story)

It makes more of a difference than apathy IMO.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    The thing is, there is very little difference between the political parties, so why should people bother trying to find out what the miniscule differences are?

Are you talking all parties or just the main 3.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    Are you talking all parties or just the main 3.

None of the others are really that relevant.
  • Options
    Well I hate to be terribly unfashionable and disagree with the majority but I reckon we're pretty well off. Not to say its perfect or that we're not getting shafted in some areas but i think we're doing alright. For every hurdle that's placed in front of us that another generation didn't have to deal with there is another possibility that the same generation lacked so its all swings and round abouts.

Having said that I'd have loved to be going through my 20s in the 60s but i've not too much to complain about and i'll make the most with what i'm left with!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Blagsta wrote:
    True. Under hte current system, A vote on a minor party is a vote wasted.

Voter Apathy is a problem, it means a large number of people don't gt their views heard, and as it gets worse as the three main parties get closer, an icreasing percentage of voters will be those with extremist views, probably of the right wing.

Then we end up with the BNP in.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Voter Apathy is a problem, it means a large number of people don't gt their views heard, and as it gets worse as the three main parties get closer, an icreasing percentage of voters will be those with extremist views, probably of the right wing.

Then we end up with the BNP in.

Well I wouldn't go that far mate. The BNP are pretty much a protest vote, they'll never "get in" As for Uk politics, it's a case of voting for the lesser of three evils.
  • Options
    This is all bullshit. We, the iPod generation are better off simply because of the fact that we have iPods. Jesus tapdancing Christ...
  • Options
    Voting makes no difference if the choice is between Howard and Blair.

Voting for either only encourages them, it makes them think that they have a mandate. Look at Blair- he got 1/3 of the votes, but thinks the country has decided to throw themselves behind him as leader.

Voting makes no difference.

I voted. It made no difference. I might as well have stayed at home. My vote was for a minority party in the area, and so it was effectively flushed down the loo.

The marginal constituencies tend to be grey, middle-class and white. The only one I can think of that isn't is Shipley- half of it is rural, and half urban. Therefore if you aren't one of those people then nobody gives a cack about you.

Young people don't vote because none of the parties relates to them. The Tories relate to old people, Labour blame the young for everything. There are more older people than there are younger people.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Why?

It wouldn't be because people don't vote for them, would it...?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I hate the way they contribute nothing and get in my way. And then whinge that they don't get to tax me more to pay for their pensions. They should have saved up, the brainless mongs.

I'd like to think that this was all said with tongue firmly planted in your cheek, but I don't think it was.

The generation which currently contributes "nothing" helped build this country, sure they weren't perfect but you are a damned sight better off because of them, not in spite of them.

As for saving, why should they? They were told that, if they paid NI, the Govt would look after them in their old age. Don't blame them because the Govt lies.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Voting makes no difference if the choice is between Howard and Blair.

Voting for either only encourages them, it makes them think that they have a mandate. Look at Blair- he got 1/3 of the votes, but thinks the country has decided to throw themselves behind him as leader.

Voting makes no difference.

I voted. It made no difference. I might as well have stayed at home. My vote was for a minority party in the area, and so it was effectively flushed down the loo.

The marginal constituencies tend to be grey, middle-class and white. The only one I can think of that isn't is Shipley- half of it is rural, and half urban. Therefore if you aren't one of those people then nobody gives a cack about you.

Young people don't vote because none of the parties relates to them. The Tories relate to old people, Labour blame the young for everything. There are more older people than there are younger people.

The youth vote made a difference in Bristol West and in the Cardiff and Manchester wards heavily populated by students. It made a difference for George Galloway in the East End. Where it doesn't make a difference is where people fall for the 'nothing will change' line.

Talking off Georgie Boy there is always the choice of starting your own party or standing as an independant if you have the chutzpah and the imagination.

A week ago I was in Romania reading the names of young people on a memorial who were murdered in the streets by a totalitarian regime because they wanted the same rights we choose to ignore. Use your rights people as the alternative can be a lot worse.
  • Options
    This is all bullshit. We, the iPod generation are better off simply because of the fact that we have iPods. Jesus tapdancing Christ...
    :thumb:

please remember ...you youngsters did not invent the world ...not even sex drugs or rock and roll.

the roofs you have had over your heads ...the warm blankets ...the beans on the table and the diesele in the tanks ...the shoes on your feet and the bridges you cross ...were mostly put there by the old people ...now worn out and nackered.

but saying that ...the complete economic cock up over the years is to blame ...not the living longer people.
    how come none of our great leaders or thinkers can ever see beyond next week ...or in more stubborn people ...the end of their term in office?