Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The iPod Generation are worse off. Discuss.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    I think there is an element of truth in that. There are more pensioners, we are expected to pay more for them and with rising house prices we need to pay more for our mortages, and while we may have many luxuries and as life may seem brilliant, we are more in debt than ever. Plus with social pressures like appearance and stature, it's not too good for the mind either.
  • Options
    i think i agree with a lot of points.
    as for young people paying for everyone else just a reminder ...when mrs hatchet was in power there were NO jobs for young people.
    whenever something similar has happened there has always been some kind of support network.
    under mrs hatchet ...no one was allowed to pay for the young without hope.
    causing an explosion of homeless youngsters.
    we have moved on from those days ...young people are more than ever in work or education ...helluvan achievement ...but at what social cost?
  • Options
    They are paying for the welfare state "without being able to expect many of the benefits", Reform says.

I agree with this statement, also the fact that many young people are offered credit as soon as their eligiable dosent make matters worse. My mum got married at 18 without a penny to her name and got her first credit card at 40, a lot of people my age will have loans etc and will be paying them back until they're 40.
  • Options
    First of all I resent my generation being named after the ipod. :rolleyes:

But aside from that I generally agree with the statement. Credit really is getting to be too much a part in the lives of young people. Credit cards, loans, consumerism, and a dedication to current media flow aren't doing people in my generation any favors. But we still do have a choice. I try to live simply, ride my bike, don't go for new cloths, I only recently opened a checking account because I need to use it to pay rent... hell come to think of it I don't even have an Ipod, I'm still using a walkman tape deck.
  • Options
    im a zentouch user, make a difference

the names ironic, cause iPods are overpriced and not actually that good compared to their competitors, yet it does well cause of marketing, sums up young peoples attitudes to buying things these days

i come from a family where you only borrow when you need to, otherwise save up for it - so i have my student debt, and about £50 on my overdraft but thats about it thankfully
  • Options
    Char_Baby wrote:
    I agree with this statement, also the fact that many young people are offered credit as soon as their eligiable dosent make matters worse. My mum got married at 18 without a penny to her name and got her first credit card at 40, a lot of people my age will have loans etc and will be paying them back until they're 40.
    the sad thing is ...you have been sold a lie.
    an illusion that can only sustain itself for as long as ...we all keep our eye on the ball.

if our gaze were to be broken for long enough ...the whole thing would collapse.

it will collapse.

big style!
  • Options
    hell come to think of it I don't even have an Ipod, I'm still using a walkman tape deck.

Its retro-chic ;)

I agree with parts of that. I've been concerned about the way demographics has meant that we are being taxed to pay for the current generation of pensioners, but there will no paying for us, even though we have contributed. We are expected to do everything that the last generation did and more for the same rewards later in life.
  • Options
    the debt situation is a bit obscene, i do resent having to pay for an education which potentially means higher earnings, but also means higher taxes, so i'm getting shafted both ways.......i've been bombarded with credit cards since turning 18 but have avoided them like the plague, try to live cheaply as possible because the plan is to save for travelling, but since working i havent actually managed to put aside a penny, which is weird cos i budgeted really well at uni despite being a stoner, now i don't even spend anything on drugs but i still have a massive hole in my pocket........but sticking on topic, i think the future is looking a bit grim and i dont think we'll have it as good as our parents, real wages have actually dropped since then.........i think the real problem is centralisation of power and wealth, there's no reason why we can't be prosperous it's just a few greedy bastards at the top keeping the rest of us down........imo.
  • Options
    Its ever so depressing though knowing I'm going to be in so much debt to do the career I want.

That's kind of fair enough IMHO. You pay for what you want.

The more general problem is that it's almost impossible to live without credit (leaving out the fact that it's a totally debt based money system) at the lower end of the spectrum.

Of course, the whole thing is by design. Make it so you can't get a decent job without government approved papers and then make you get into debt to obtain them. Guess what, oh smart people from the universities....you've been suckered.
    the sad thing is ...you have been sold a lie.

Too true Rolly.

Anyone with half a brain can see that the rug is going to be pulled at some point in the near future, if not by the "government" then by events in the middle east. Let's see our wonderful systems survive with 20%+ interest rates etc. :no:
  • Options
    every generation has to make sacrifices ...to and for the nation.
    my fathers generation and his fathers generation fighting the first truly mwchanised industrial global wars.
    some of you are now complaining about the cost of your comfort.
  • Options
    That was fairly true. We have to take into consideration, however, that there are more people around now than half a century ago. The fact that a couple of the major world powers are letting people into the country like flies on shit is none too comforting either.
  • Options
    junker wrote:
    The fact that a couple of the major world powers are letting people into the country like flies on shit is none too comforting either.
    which countries are those man?
  • Options
    There really is only one reasonable answer - soylent green.
  • Options
    A completely accurate statement.

I can't save up because I have to pay the lazy thieving cunts at the council a thousand pounds every year, for absolutely nothing. I have to pay extortionate tax on travel, I have to pay extortionate tax on heating, I have to pay an extortionate tax so all the old codgers can get free bus passes. What benefits do I get from the old codgers getting free bus passes and free telly licenses? Why should I subsidise their bus costs?

Tax is far too high in this country. Nearly seven months of my work every year goes straight into Tony Blair's grubby little hands. And what do I get in return? A war I don't want, a corrupt cabinet I don't want, a transport network that doesn't work, and hospitals that will kill me if the police don't do it first. I get an education system that doesn't teach people anything, and then if I get anywhere near a decent standard of education I have to bankrupt myself to acheive it.

Bargain.

I can't afford to buy a house. I can't afford to buy a car. I'm pouring money away on rent. I'm pouring money away on bank loans that I've had to take out to pay off my student debts. After all the tax that Blair takes off me, and the useless council takes off me, I don't have anything left for myself.

The article is completely right.
  • Options
    But old people vote more, so their needs will always be catered for over young people.
  • Options
    Tax is far too high in this country. Nearly seven months of my work every year goes straight into Tony Blair's grubby little hands. And what do I get in return? A war I don't want, a corrupt cabinet I don't want, a transport network that doesn't work, and hospitals that will kill me if the police don't do it first. I get an education system that doesn't teach people anything, and then if I get anywhere near a decent standard of education I have to bankrupt myself to acheive it.

Bargain.

QFT
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    But old people vote more, so their needs will always be catered for over young people.

And that si the entire problem with this country.

The moronic old codgers have far too much power, control and influence. It's why this country is a craphole.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I can't save up because I have to pay the lazy thieving cunts at the council a thousand pounds every year, for absolutely nothing. I have to pay extortionate tax on travel, I have to pay extortionate tax on heating, I have to pay an extortionate tax so all the old codgers can get free bus passes. What benefits do I get from the old codgers getting free bus passes and free telly licenses? Why should I subsidise their bus costs?

Bargain.

I can't afford to buy a house. I can't afford to buy a car. I'm pouring money away on rent. I'm pouring money away on bank loans that I've had to take out to pay off my student debts. After all the tax that Blair takes off me, and the useless council takes off me, I don't have anything left for myself.

and in london now under 16s get free bus travel, when i have to pay extortionate travel fares for something i need to use, if it was the 50% child rate on under 16s and people in fulltime education(when buying season tickets) and a lowered adult rate itd be perfect - but no they hike the price to pay for an overpriced upgrade system ala ppp

old codgers and suburbia get far too much help
  • Options
    Children should get free bus travel to and from school, though. If the Government want kids to go to school, the Government should pay for it.

So they do.

Old codgers don't need to go anywhere. It'd be better for the rest of us if they didn't.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Old codgers don't need to go anywhere. It'd be better for the rest of us if they didn't.

Do i sense a touch of gerontophobia Kermit? :D
  • Options
    as for young people paying for everyone else just a reminder ...when mrs hatchet was in power there were NO jobs for young people.

under mrs hatchet ...no one was allowed to pay for the young without hope.
    causing an explosion of homeless youngsters.

I remember only too well. Remeber the Board and Lodging Regulations? *shudder*
    we have moved on from those days ...young people are more than ever in work or education ...helluvan achievement ...but at what social cost?

Which is the lesser of two evils?
  • Options
    Do i sense a touch of gerontophobia Kermit? :D

Only a touch.

I hate the way they contribute nothing and get in my way. And then whinge that they don't get to tax me more to pay for their pensions. They should have saved up, the brainless mongs.

They can pay for the bus or stay at home, as far as I'm concerned. And they should be banned from driving.
  • Options
    Under 16's get free travel in London?

In my area they pay half fare.

from september, so not just kids who need to travel to school more than a mile away or something but all under 16s :s - lazy sods
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Children should get free bus travel to and from school, though. If the Government want kids to go to school, the Government should pay for it.

So they do.

Well they need to travel to get their pension and shopping?

I think it's unfair too... Plus taxes going to lazy people who refuse to work, wars that we voted against... And now we're going to be expected to buy ID cards... Either that or we'll end up being taxed so old people and lazy people can have them.

N.B. Not all people on the dole are lazy, a lot are genuinely looking for work... But a lot are, I know a good few.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Only a touch.

I hate the way they contribute nothing and get in my way. And then whinge that they don't get to tax me more to pay for their pensions. They should have saved up, the brainless mongs.

They can pay for the bus or stay at home, as far as I'm concerned. And they should be banned from driving.

After spending 40+ years of my life working and paying taxes i fully intend to be a miserable git. I'm going to moan about anything and everything, pop kids balls that come over my fence before giving them back, pay for everything with small change and sporadically piss myself when ever i think it might amuse me.

Being old is going to be awesome....
  • Options
    After spending 40+ years of my life working and paying taxes i fully intend to be a miserable git. I'm going to moan about anything and everything, pop kids balls that come over my fence before giving them back, pay for everything with small change and sporadically piss myself when ever i think it might amuse me.

Being old is going to be awesome....

Except you wont, unlike like those bloody Baby Boomers we wont get pensions or bus passes or any benefits at all from the government. This is the golden age for pensions, its a down hill slope.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Except you wont, unlike like those bloody Baby Boomers we wont get pensions or bus passes or any benefits at all from the government. This is the golden age for pensions, its a down hill slope.

It's all fuel for my big fat moaning bonfire!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Bargain.

I agree with Kermit, he is bang on here.

This country is a complete shit hole. I remember going on a course long ago and the guy talking to us told us he was on some sort of government pane and warned us that we should start saving our own money in an account because when my generation get old their wont be enough oney to give us a pension. It is absurd that this generation is paying for another generation, an older generation who have this so called " power ", realistically we are the next generation who should have a say in the matter, maybe it's because enough of us younger folk don't vote, whatever it is it annoys the hell out of me. What chance do we really stand to get anywhere if we have to pay sky high taxes, and continue to lose out in every situation whilst older folk gain from our extreme hard work, and it is extreme people working longer hours to provide for themselves, their families etc, and they arent getting a fair deal in life.
    The Reform survey suggests a programme of tax reductions as one way to help redress the balance.

All very well suggesting it but we know it will never happen, not really.

mmmm... i've added my piece
  • Options
    Poor people don't get tax breaks or tax reductions. Fact.

Any tax break wouldn't benefit me. It never does. It'd benefit the fat cats who can affoird to pay their way anyway.

I don't object to taxation, per se. I do object to it being spent on wars we don't want, soldier and police officers who torture and murder and then lie about it, a corrupt cabinet who takes a huge slice of the pie in backhanders, politicians who are on obscene salaries for a meaningless job. I object to the whole civil service gravy train. I object to the council gravy train. I object to the local council full stop, in fact. Thieving bastards.

I'd quite like to go to work each day and start earning some money for myself before dinnertime.
  • Options
    Well its not rocket science, if young people can show half the enthusiasm for voting in an election as they do for Big Brother politicians will take them seriously. If you were a pol who would you listen to the electorate or those who can't be arsed?

It was amazing how many young people who complained about Blair (and even Bush!) getting re-elected but didnt bother vote themselves. :rolleyes: