Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Help - Decisions...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I really hope this thread doesnt come off as being really up myself or whatever.
Basically ive been musical since i was about 8/9 [im now 19].I say musical but up until the begining of this year i have never recived any tuition or proper teaching musically.Then in february i found the most amazing singing teacher [cos i sing innit] who made my dreams of being a singer very obtainable.
When i say a singer i dont mean no britney spears or KT tunstall,i mean classically and according to my teacher id make a very good opera singer.Ive always been told i can sing and that i should pursue it but always put it off because i didnt think much of and thought "oh well its only a dream"....
Anyway.
My teacher really believes i can go really far with my singing and that id definatly get into the royal scottish acadamy in glasgow if i put my mind to it.I was/am terribly excited at this prospect and we came up with a plan that i would learn some languages,do some music exams and generally get classically trained then apply after a year or 2 doing that.
This was all going to be great if i had got my highers.
I didnt.
So during this summer [ i dont have singing lessons in the summer holidays] i got unmotivated concerning music and decided that i would apply for an HND in something writing/english related.Ive always been told that i have a real flare for writing and should pursue that also.
After i failed my exams i thought there would be no hope in hell in getting into the HND in journalism that i had applied for becaus i didnt have 2 highers.But to my surprise the woman i saw for my interview was very understanding and said she could see i was very able and that the course seemed to be ideally suited to me.I was pretty chuffed about that and couldnt believe that someone had given me a chance.
Then i went back to my first singing lesson since may last wednesday and realised i might have made a massive mistake.Music teacher was really bouncing off the walls about all the things i could be doing over the next year in terms of my singing and i too got really excited.
My dilemma is this:
There is no way i can follow my music to the extent i want to if i do my HND.I dont want to NOT do my HND because then id still have no qualifications and it would be much more difficult to get into uni.Going back to college to do even more highers apart from english is NOT an option.However if i let my muisc go on the back burner i know in 6 months time im going to get really resentful towards my HND and probably fail it.
I wish i could do both my HND and music but i wouldnt be able to handle the level of work that would be coming my way.I also work p/t and need to have a social life.
Im so confused.I need to make my mind up really soon because my course starts on monday to the place ive already excepted.
What the hell should i do?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Go with your heart not your head.

Do what you believe in, you won't regret it later on in life.
  • Options
    try your singing, you can go back to degree's at any point!
  • Options
    if singing is what you want to do... do it!
    you don't want to be looking back on your life when you are 30 or 40 or so and thinking "what if..."
    and, well... if music doesn't work out, for whatever reason, you could do something else with your life... even take that HND at a later date. and at least you could say then that you gave it shot. no regrets. :)
  • Options
    You got a singing lesson last tuesday? My school didn't return until Thursday :|
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    You got a singing lesson last tuesday? My school didn't return until Thursday :|

Im not at school i left 3 years ago!!!!
    My snging teacher is someone i pay priavtly for who takes 6 week break from lessons in the summer...