Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The pure evil that is the Death Penalty

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Because the guy had a low IQ doesn't mean that he doesn't know right from wrong. .
    besides the point ...the law of the land there says you can't fry a retard end of.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    the death penalty would help the overcrowding problem.... :confused:
    the overcrowding problem is not due to killers but petty thieves ...petty crims ...the sad and the desperate the weak and broken.

the jails are full to bursting with people who shouldn't be there.

i'm commiting a prisonable offence right now whilst typing this ...smoking the wrong plant material ...am i a threat to society?
  • Options
    i'm commiting a prisonable offence right now whilst typing this ...smoking the wrong plant material ...am i a threat to society?

no but you are making baby Jesus cry :crying:

;)
  • Options
    no but you are making baby Jesus cry :crying:

;)
    the way things are going that'll be punishable too!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    the way things are going that'll be punishable too!

Damn. Im going in for life then... my life would make baby jesus clinically depressed.
  • Options
    He should be judged according to his mental ability at the time of the offence, not subsequently.

I am against the death penalty becaudse I don't trust juries or judges to make the right decision 100% of the time. I don't trust the police not to make things up or force confessions. Many juries really are demented. The police are human.

There is also the fact that making these vermin live with what they have done, and live forever in prison, is more of a punishment than the death penalty ever would be. Which is why the list of murderers who've committed suicide is quite extensive.

I have no moral problem with executing murderers and rapists.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I am against the death penalty becaudse I don't trust juries or judges to make the right decision 100% of the time.

I have no moral problem with executing murderers and rapists.

You would have murders and rapists put to death if it was possible to be 100% sure of guilt?
  • Options
    looks like somebody forgot there is a law against cruel and unusual punishment.

Actually hanging is amoung the most humane ways of killing someone, if it is done properly the neck breaks and the person dies instantly. Something that does not happen with the injection or the electric chair.

But, I am totally against the death penalty because it is just plain wrong, there can be no arguement, if murder is an offence then it makes no odds who does it.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The definition of murder is "unjust killing". I think there ca nbe justified killing, so not all killing is murder.

The people I would have put to death (By a firing squad, imho, it is far more humane.) would be the kind of guys you get... who get some sortof sick enjoyment out of killing people slowly, torturing them. You know, the people who feel no guilt for it at all. Because then, what is jail to them? They are not going to regret what they did, at all. Ever.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    How?
    Premeditation. Or the fact that they have full mental capabilities and are trying to kill someone who doesn't, and certainly didn't when he commited the crime.
  • Options
    I think he deserves all he gets.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    The American system is wrong in so many ways.

Do you honestly believe the British system is any better? :rolleyes: please look at our own country at the moment.
  • Options
    I think he deserves all he gets.

his fault for being mentally ill if theres a lack of menta health provision at the time?
  • Options
    You would have murders and rapists put to death if it was possible to be 100% sure of guilt?

I'm not sure, really.

Yes, I would have rapists put to death if I was sure they were guilty. I'd fire the gun myself.

But then at the same time, I wouldn't. Life is life. It's better to let them rot forever.

On balance I would have the death penalty if there was a way of knowing who was guilty. people like Antoni Imiela and Rose West should die a terribly slow awful painful death.
  • Options
    Do you honestly believe the British system is any better? :rolleyes: please look at our own country at the moment.

of course it's much better!
    have you ever heard of this country hanging the wrong man?
    are there any rumours let alone evidence ...that innocent members of the public have been set up by the police and then jailed for years?
    of course not. this is not some banana republic.
  • Options

What about specifically about our country? Can you draw a correlation between what you specifically mean and our criminal justice system? Or might it be a tad more complicated than that?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What about specifically about our country? Can you draw a correlation between what you specifically mean and our criminal justice system? Or might it be a tad more complicated than that?
    she was trying to keep it simple me thinks ...
  • Options
    she was trying to keep it simple me thinks ...

Yes, so simple as to be meaningless.
  • Options
    Er... yes. For starters we don't have the Death Penalty any more. Together with every other civilised nation on earth, we got rid of that archaic and barbaric punishment decades ago.

Time the US catched up...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Time the US catched up...

I think most of the States have, or at least put a stop to actually doing it, if not taking it off the statute books.

There will be a tipping point, the US can not keep locking up an increasing number as its doing, they physically wont be able to afford it.
  • Options
    yes. For starters we don't have the Death Penalty any more.

Unless you are on the tube.....
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I think most of the States have, or at least put a stop to actually doing it, if not taking it off the statute books.

There will be a tipping point, the US can not keep locking up an increasing number as its doing, they physically wont be able to afford it.
    They don't seem to be in a great hurry to put a stop to it though.

- 38 out of 50 States still have the death penalty

- There were 59 executions in 2004

- Since 1976 the god-fearing, deeply Christian Texas has killed 376 people

- California has an incredible 648 people on Death Row. The number for the whole of the US is 3,415

- 88% percent of those are ethnic minorities

- 22 people who were minors when they commited their crimes have been killed since 1976

factsheet
  • Options
    Yes 38 states still have it on the books, but many of those dont do it anymore, I'm not defending it, I'm just saying that statistic is somewhat misleading because although the death penalty is there its not used.

Thats probably why California has so many on death row.
  • Options
    his fault for being mentally ill if theres a lack of menta health provision at the time?
    It doesn't say that he was mentally ill does it? Just that he had a low IQ.
    Do you honestly believe the British system is any better? please look at our own country at the moment.

Uhm... yeah. What?
  • Options

For a start theres the fact that in the USA innocent people have been put to death for crimes they didnt commit. At least here if there is a mistake the person will still be alive and freed, while you can't pardon someone and bring them back from the dead.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Unless you are on the tube.....

Topical. Not funny but topical.
  • Options
    The death penalty is wrong, for every reason, even if you can prove someone is quilty beyond all reasonable doubt (which i don't believe you can) how can you justify the decision to take someone else's life? I am a true believer in karma, and that everything exists by a flow of energy between it's parts. To take someone's life is to force them to face their god in a way that I believe would be truly terrifying, imagine knowing you are going to die - and the terror that would give you. This isn't right, i don't care what someone has done, it isn't right. Everyone should have the right to die as dignified a death as possible, and putting people down like this goes against everything that we as humans should strive to be. To let someone die in such a barbaric way can only be bad for society and create negative energy.

Does the death penalty solve crime? does it disproportionately affect balck and ethnic communities? wouldn't it be better to sort these problems out from the route, by sorting out society rather than just frying offenders? surely this just perpetuates the problem rather than solving it?
  • Options
    batfink wrote:
    even if you can prove someone is quilty beyond all reasonable doubt (which i don't believe you can)

I´m sure if you examine their feather content, you could find most people to be quilty or not.

batfink wrote:
    Everyone should have the right to die as dignified a death as possible, and putting people down like this goes against everything that we as humans should strive to be. To let someone die in such a barbaric way can only be bad for society and create negative energy.

But most people are sentenced to death, at least in the Western world, for having taken someone elses life. I can see where you´re coming from but, with what you say, don´t you think an argument exists for saying that "since you have denied someone a dignified death by killing them, why do you deserve one?". And don´t you think it may go some way to righting the wrongs that society had endured in the first place?
  • Options
    I´m sure if you examine their feather content, you could find most people to be quilty or not.

Okay, maybe I didn't word this as I should have done, yes you can prove someone is guilty but the fact remains that many people are sentanced to death who aren't proved to be guilty beyond reasonable doubt, it has felt like in the past that judgements were rushed through just to shed some blood and feel as if justice has been served, which is pretty barbaric in my opinion.

But most people are sentenced to death, at least in the Western world, for having taken someone elses life. I can see where you´re coming from but, with what you say, don´t you think an argument exists for saying that "since you have denied someone a dignified death by killing them, why do you deserve one?". And don´t you think it may go some way to righting the wrongs that society had endured in the first place?

Right, as for this my point is that it is simply wrong for a human being, or a committee of human beings, to decide whether someone else is going to live or die, whether this is in the case of a murder by an individual or a murder by tthe state (which is what capital punishment is really). Just because it is trussed up in officiality does not suddenly make it okay, sending someone to death is barbaric, i don't care in what form, how can it be excused? especially by states in allegedly the most "democratic" country in the world. It is playing at being god and really makes the punisher no better than the perpetrator. I don't think it sets a very good example to society.
  • Options
    Isn't murdering a person, taking away there human rights, their right to life, their right to see their family, friends, kids, grand kids, isn't it messing up the lives of the people who love thie guy.

Now if a murderer has taken someone elses life, and it's been proven, using all the new tecnology that we have, that he did what he was charged with, then why should he have human right himself, why should be be allowed to eat, sleep, watch tv, read books, see his family even breathe.

The crinimal justice system in America at least takes punishment seriously, look at the sentences that are often given out here, how would you as the victoms wife/husband feel about seeing the person that murdered your lover back on the streets.

An eye for an eye.