Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The pure evil that is the Death Penalty

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4657897.stm
The life of a convicted murderer is hanging in the balance while a US jury considers whether his intelligence has increased enough to allow him to be put to death.

Daryl Atkins was named in a landmark Supreme Court ruling in 2002 that said it was unconstitutional to execute the mentally retarded.

But the intellectual stimulation the killer got by constant contact with lawyers in the case is thought to have raised his IQ above the threshold of 70, which puts him in line for the death penalty in Virginia.

Atkins' IQ was tested in 1998, and was found to be 59, well below the level at which a person is deemed retarded in Virginia.

But when he was retested following the Supreme Court ruling defence experts found his IQ had risen to 74, while prosecutors said it was two points higher.

Words fail me.

I can only hope there is a Hell after all, so that those pushing to have this man executed can rot in agony for all eternity like the fucking cunts they are.

:no: :mad:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I hope that basted gets what he deserves.
    The American system is wrong in so many ways.
    Would they have done the same if he was white? Or Jewish? Wealthy or working class?
    Would they have done the same if he was white? Or Jewish? Wealthy or working class?

Probably, it wasn't a panicked shooting, but more a deliberate murder, and the person apparently had a string of crimes beforehand building up a picture. Not saying I'm pro-death penalty, just that some of the apparent institutional racism comes from the fact more black people come from difficult backgrounds in america (why that is is another debate) so proportionally they're more likely to go to crime, and hence more likely to end up with their neck in a noose, so to speak.

As far as I understand statistics, anyway. They rarely tell the whole picture, but evalutating the 'bigger picture' helps a lot of the time.
    Regardless of how appalling and barbaric the death penalty is, this case is particularly disturbing. If the man was considered unfit when he commited the murder, do they really think that years later it is justified to kill him because his IQ has risen above a certain level?

Such disgusting bloodlust makes them a million times worse than the killer himself.
    Renzo wrote:
    The American system is wrong in so many ways.

it isn't really the American system, it's the Virginia system. The rules for the death penalty vary from state to state. Some don't even have a death penalty.

Who cares if this guys IQ has risen during the process of the trial? Even if that is the case his IQ was low enough at the time of the murder that he can't be (fully) held responsible for his actions.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    Such disgusting bloodlust makes them a million times worse than the killer himself.

Indeed. Besides, even if he DID (unlikley) feign his low IQ, rotting whilst imprisoned is far, far, worse that Death, which is really the easy way out.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Indeed. Besides, even if he DID (unlikley) feign his low IQ, rotting whilst imprisoned is far, far, worse that Death, which is really the easy way out.

I love this lame argument. Wriggle out of this one:
    If "such disgusting bloodlust", or a quick and easy death as you put it, makes them a million times worse than the killer himself, then what makes people like you who want to lock criminals up, as it is "far, far worse then Death"?
    I love this lame argument. Wriggle out of this one:
    If "such disgusting bloodlust", or a quick and easy death as you put it, makes them a million times worse than the killer himself, then what makes people like you who want to lock criminals up, as it is "far, far worse then Death"?

Nice try Slippy, but you're failing to look at it in context. Stating that the people who wish this man dead are sick and full of bloodlust and then claiming that life in prison is a far worse punishment does not imply that Teh is in turn worse then the people who he has called sick.

What makes these people sick is that they wish to see this man dead for their own satisfaction, not because it will solve anything, not because it will bring closure to the matter, but because they want an eye for an eye. What Teh is suggesting is that a far better punishment is to deprive him of freedom, not simply killing the man because it would be satisfying.

Your argument doesn't add up.
    Nice try Slippy, but you're failing to look at it in context. Stating that the people who wish this man dead are sick and full of bloodlust and then claiming that life in prison is a far worse punishment does not imply that Teh is in turn worse then the people who he has called sick.

What makes these people sick is that they wish to see this man dead for their own satisfaction, not because it will solve anything, not because it will bring closure to the matter, but because they want an eye for an eye. What Teh is suggesting is that a far better punishment is to deprive him of freedom, not simply killing the man because it would be satisfying.

Yes it does. Your argument does not add up.

They do not want an eye for an eye, they want justice.

People who want to see him "rotting" locked in a cage for his whole life want that for thier own satisfaction. They are the sick ones.

Of course his argument doesn't add up.

"An eye for an eye, makes the whole world blind"

Wanting this murderer killed for personal satisfaction is quite falling down almost to the murderers level. (Of course not) On the contrary, wanting this man punished by the means of execution to void his freedom is a bit more logical since he hasn't earned it.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    quarfly wrote:
    Of course his argument doesn't add up.

"An eye for an eye, makes the whole world blind"

Wanting this murderer killed for personal satisfaction is quite falling down almost to the murderers level. (Of course not) On the contrary, wanting this man punished by the means of execution to void his freedom is a bit more logical since he hasn't earned it.

Precisley. Violate someone else's rights, and have your most valued removed from you. Get stuck in a jail with a bunch of other nutters.

Killing him solves little. Is justice served? No. He learns no lessons, society learns no lessons. If you kill someone, you can be put to death yourself. No need to worry about your life anymore and how bad it will be. Because you are DEAD!
    Economically speaking, if he's never going to be released into society again, then why let him be a waste of resources just keeping him alive, waiting on him hand and foot - even giving him security. Economically speaking, you may as well do away with the spectacle and throw him off a cliff.

:chin:

That's why economists don't make all the decisions, no doubt.
    People who want to see him "rotting" locked in a cage for his whole life want that for thier own satisfaction. They are the sick ones.

they support it because it is the most appropriate form of punishment, if it can even be called that. The idea of life behind bars is not necessarily punishment rather than protecting the rest of society.
    the guy was a retard when he did it ...therefore the law treated him accordingly.
    the fact he now isn't a retard doesn't alter the fact that he was when he commited his crime.
    yes society can learn a lot by keeping this man in jail ...about itself.
    the man will learn a lot more and maybe even come to realise how serious his actions have realy been.

they sound like vultures who have been circling all the time ...xtrians to the last man?
    the guy was a retard when he did it ...therefore the law treated him accordingly.
    the fact he now isn't a retard doesn't alter the fact that he was when he commited his crime.

EXACTLY :yes:
    For once I'm going to be very impollitically correct, Born Slippy, would you electrocute a fucking handicapped retard for doing something that in his mind he hadn't got a fucking clue what he was doing? would ya, if you would then your just as bad as any murderer you silly dick
    Because the guy had a low IQ doesn't mean that he doesn't know right from wrong. You can even teach a dog not to bite.

Your IQ is thought to be part genetics and partly environmental. He could have had more mental stimulation in prison and that's how his IQ was raised. It doesn't change the fact that he's a murderer, he isn't any less or any more capable of hurting somebody.

I disagree with the death penalty however as it tends to be about revenge rather than about rehabilitation, or solving the roots of crimes. I think it's like a spoilt child throwing their toys out of the pram.
    hhhm though tax payers pay to keep murderers alive in prisons, safe, bed, food, drink, entertainment....i personally think murderers are a waste of space, and the death penalty would help the overcrowding problem....but then i don't entirly agree with it either :confused:
    Ballerina wrote:
    hhhm though tax payers pay to keep murderers alive in prisons, safe, bed, food, drink, entertainment....i personally think murderers are a waste of space, and the death penalty would help the overcrowding problem....but then i don't entirly agree with it either :confused:
    Tax payers also fund people too lazy to work.

I personally don't see anybody as a 'waist of space'. A human being is a human being and capital punishment is hipocrisy in my opinion. It's a case of 'do as I say', not 'do as I do'. I'm not condoning murder at all, but I don't think there is a typical 'murderer' mentality, nor do I think that executing somebody would stop murder and violence in the world. It's just acting as revenge...
    Ballerina wrote:

not in american prisons with the amount of male rapes....

the point is that theres no way of ever being 100% someone done the crime so theres no way you can make up for that mistake if you got the wrong guy
    Aladdin wrote:
    How?
    Ballerina wrote:

So you don't think people are capable of redemption?
    Blagsta wrote:
    So you don't think people are capable of redemption?
    Not once they're dead.
    Not once they're dead.

Well, quite.
    I hope that basted gets what he deserves.

I know that the death penalty is sick, but I never realised that they basted before cooking the convicts... that truly is horrific...
    I know that the death penalty is sick, but I never realised that they basted before cooking the convicts... that truly is horrific...

Either that or they just lightly marinade them to mask the odour of burning flesh!

I say bring back hanging, it´s cheap and effective and would provide a good-quality family day out. Like Chessington.
    I say bring back hanging, it´s cheap and effective and would provide a good-quality family day out. Like Chessington.
    looks like somebody forgot there is a law against cruel and unusual punishment.
    looks like somebody forgot there is a law against cruel and unusual punishment.

Looks like somebody forgot to look up "irony" in the dictionary.
    i dont really think murderers deserve to die, they should live with what they've done. But i think it's unforgivable.