Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Treat shop assistants with respect

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I work Saturdays in New Look (clothes shop)and I have to say that shop assistants get no respect for their hard work.
I have had people look at me like shit on my job, just because they suppose that they're better than me.
The next time you guys go to a clothes shop, treat the employees there with respect because they spend their time picking up clothes that you couldn't be bothered picking up yourself and they treat you with respect no matter how you treat them.
Shop assistances work to make you happy, they work hard so give them a little respect.
Ta.

Comments

• Options
    Treat people who have different opinions than you and make a concious descision to try drugs with respect. At least we are living life a little by mixing drugs with social activities.
  • Options
    As much as i agree with you, I'll tell you why I hate some assistants . I live in Switzerland. In Zürich, there is a street called Banhofstrasse. You might have heard of it. The rent is millions of francs a year. I went into a shop there dressed in neat, casual trousers and polo shirt, but not with any brand names showing. Assistant walks up to me and says "Perhaps you would be better off in H&M"...

I exploded. I made such a huge fuss, the manager came out. And you know what he did? He told me to get out of his store without making any more fuss. I left. And came back the next day, dressed in torn jeans and an unwashed T-shirt. He didn't say anything. But it left a sour taste.

As a rule of thumb, I am now a bit hostile toward shop assistants cos of this. Some are nice, but certainly the majority I come across are rude.
  • Options
    If someone treats you with respect you should return the favour.
    All due respect to Dirty Harry, but you don't respect her opinion on drugs. At the same time, she shouldn't criticise what she hasn't tried.

ARE YOU FEELING LIKE YOUR LIFE HAS BEEN PLANNED OUT FOR YOU?
    ARE YOU FEELING LIKE A SOCIAL TOOL WITHOUT A USE?
    SCREAM AT ME UNTIL MY EARS BLEED, I'M TAKING HEED JUST FOR YOU.
  • Options
    I am a really friendly and outgoing person (believe it or not) and I greet everyone with smiles and 'pleases and thankyous'. I do this when I go into shops but hardly ever get the same response from the people that work there.

I work as a freelance web designer and although some weeks bring little work, there are other weeks that bring too much. (When I'm on this board a lot is obviously when work is slack!)

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that I do alright, especially as its a second income into the house because my hubby is an executive. Well, I went into Debenhams a couple of weeks ago with my daughter in her pushchair and went up to the makeup counter to ask the assistant where the nail varnish is kept. I couldn't believe it when she replied 'I'll just take you over there to the cheaper section'

Just because I went in there with my little girl she probably thinks I'm a dumb housewife. Why do people have to judge. My work is very changelling and at the end of the year I have normally earned way more than a shop manager nevermind a shop assistant.

I also have the wonderful choice of working at home until my daughter starts school, which is great because we can spend loads of quality time together.

This is not me bragging. This is me saying that it seems that shop assistants are more snobby and judgmental of customers when they don't know anything about them.

Some can be nice but where I live (South East) they seem to be few and very far between!