Home Drink & Drugs
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Drug-related Death.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right. In the pub tonight we got talking about ecstasy. My arguement was basically "people don't die from ecstasy". Some arsehole tried to give me that "yeh, alright mate - whatever you say" shit.

I have looked for some internet material to show ecstasy related death amounts to compare alcohol related death amounts with, but no luck. All I found was this http://www.drug-abuse.gbr.ru.com/can_ecstasy_kill.htm

Any sources would be appreciated, just so I can show this twat (who happened to be a goth) that I'm right.

NB: I know when I say "nobody" dies that 13 people a year isn't "nobody", cheers.

Comments

  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4532569.stm

    Might help there. Although there is one drawback you might spot, the fact it containts these things is good, and after much use of it will do doubt havea a positive effect.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    according to erowid...the chances of taking an allergic reaction to ecstacy is 50,000 to 1, pretty slim, alcohol is likely to give you diseases like liver cancer and therefore there are more alcohol related deaths a year compared to ecstacy, though saying that, ecstacy isn't a drug to be taken lightly, you can take an overdose quite easily and with long term use can fuck with your head very seriously. But yes, relatively speaking, ecstacy is a safer drug

    ETA: link http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma_effects.shtml
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i "think" the reason i needed a liver transplant was because of pills / ecstacy....

    and if i didnt have the transplant i would of died within 4-5 days

    but it wasnt confirmed so i dont know.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    jake0 wrote:
    i "think" the reason i needed a liver transplant was because of pills / ecstacy....

    and if i didnt have the transplant i would of died within 4-5 days

    but it wasnt confirmed so i dont know.

    if you already had a weak immune system, then ecstacy would most certainly have been a factor in you needing a liver transplant, however you would need to be a serious pill user for a perfectly good liver to detereorate to that state.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    if you already had a weak immune system, then ecstacy would most certainly have been a factor in you needing a liver transplant, however you would need to be a serious pill user for a perfectly good liver to detereorate to that state.


    well i'm sure ecstacy effects different people in different ways, the fact i'm overweight probably didnt help.

    and i wasnt a serious pill user, but i started to become ill the day after i took a couple of pills, so i dunno, it could of been why.

    the doctors couldnt actually find a medical reason as to why my liver failed, and by the time i was in hospital all traces of ecstacy would have gone from my body, but hmm, i'm still not sure
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    jake0 wrote:
    well i'm sure ecstacy effects different people in different ways, the fact i'm overweight probably didnt help.

    and i wasnt a serious pill user, but i started to become ill the day after i took a couple of pills, so i dunno, it could of been why.

    the doctors couldnt actually find a medical reason as to why my liver failed, and by the time i was in hospital all traces of ecstacy would have gone from my body, but hmm, i'm still not sure

    true enough, ecstacy definately affects the immune system and the fact that you needed the transplant after taking some pills suggests it was ecstacy, have you taken them since?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    true enough, ecstacy definately affects the immune system and the fact that you needed the transplant after taking some pills suggests it was ecstacy, have you taken them since?

    once, and i know i shouldnt of done, it was stupid

    but then again it was down to peer pressure, its a bit hard not to when everyone else around you is doing them ;<

    luckily for me i (and all my friends) we cant get hold of pills anymore, which is a good thing,

    if it was related to ecstacy then in all honesty its unfair, i can imagine a few people on these boards regularly do lots and lots of pills and dont have a problem, but i was never really one to over-do pills, would probably only do them once a month.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    jake0 wrote:
    once, and i know i shouldnt of done, it was stupid

    but then again it was down to peer pressure, its a bit hard not to when everyone else around you is doing them ;<

    luckily for me i (and all my friends) we cant get hold of pills anymore, which is a good thing,

    if it was related to ecstacy then in all honesty its unfair, i can imagine a few people on these boards regularly do lots and lots of pills and dont have a problem, but i was never really one to over-do pills, would probably only do them once a month.

    well thats the thing about drugs, some people can manage to do them lots and end up relatively ok, others only do them a few times and get problems, it's not really fair when you fall into the second category but that's life really
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There are some numbers here:

    http://www.drugscope.org.uk/druginfo/drugsearch/ds_results.asp?file=%5Cwip%5C11%5C1%5C1%5Cdeaths.html

    It puts things into perspective when compared with alcohol and tobacco. The problem is when peoples only knowledge of drugs has come from the media they probably wont believe you no matter how many facts you give them.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've seen someone who according to the A&E doctor should have died after taking a pill, so yes, they can kill people, it is rare though.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    jake0 wrote:
    well i'm sure ecstacy effects different people in different ways, the fact i'm overweight probably didnt help.

    and i wasnt a serious pill user, but i started to become ill the day after i took a couple of pills, so i dunno, it could of been why.

    the doctors couldnt actually find a medical reason as to why my liver failed, and by the time i was in hospital all traces of ecstacy would have gone from my body, but hmm, i'm still not sure

    I used to get bad pains when i was doing E which i think was either kidneys/liver related.

    Also...speaking of the immune system...i know two people who ended up with pneumonia after too much E & amphetamine.
Sign In or Register to comment.