Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Question about tips

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, i've been doing some waitressing at a small pub in the countryside near me for the last few weeks. My aunt also works there. Anyway, i've been told because i'm under 16 i'm not meant to accept tips. Is this right? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    thats a load of crap, i have mates who i went to school with who waitressed in a chip shop in town and they were all allowed to keep their tips and none of em were 16 then.
  • Options
    im not aware of it been illegal to accept tips from customers
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    im not aware of it been illegal to accept tips from customers

But be careful as if the tax office find out, tips are treated as a benefit in kind, should be declared and you are liable to pay National Insurance and Tax on them. Which is why most places treat them with a bit of caution.
  • Options
    But be careful as if the tax office find out, tips are treated as a benefit in kind, should be declared and you are liable to pay National Insurance and Tax on them. Which is why most places treat them with a bit of caution.
    that's abit unfair....i thought you didnt have to pay tax on what you earn till you're 18 anyway? God you get taxed to death in this country.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Ballerina wrote:
    that's abit unfair....i thought you didnt have to pay tax on what you earn till you're 18 anyway? God you get taxed to death in this country.
    You start paying tax at 16.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

:crying:

FFS go and live somewhere else then!
  • Options
    But, as she's studying full-time (i.e. at school) she shouldn't h ave to pay tax anyway, so it's a non issue.
  • Options
    no, she just doesnt get taxed because she doesnt earn over the tax limit, not because she is at school

and anyways, i never tell the raxman about tips, or the notes i find on the floor, i mean theres no way they could ever find out
  • Options
    I've been taxed for since my 16th Birthday despite being in full time post-16 education.
  • Options
    Meryn wrote:
    But, as she's studying full-time (i.e. at school) she shouldn't h ave to pay tax anyway, so it's a non issue.

nah that's not how it works, you can earn so much without being taxed. it just happens to be that most students earn below that amount so don't get taxed.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:

god, calm down
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:

There's no need for that.

You should have seen how angry I was when I got the council tax bill. Fucking lazy thieving cunts. I was effing and blinding about this shithole of a country for weeks.

Anyway.

I don't see why you shouldn't accept tips. I aren't aware of any laws that prohibit it.

If you are concerned then contact ACAS- the independent employment advice and mediation service- on 08457 474747 during office hours.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

But of course! - who else is going to give French farmers their cushy lifestyle?
    Sorry that perhaps hasn't added anything to the thread at all.

What you could do is get some official documentation on this, Citizens Advice, or Department for Work and Pensions website http://www.dwp.gov.uk/ - then armed with this, confront your employer and see what they say after showing them what you have found.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    There's no need for that.

You should have seen how angry I was when I got the council tax bill. Fucking lazy thieving cunts. I was effing and blinding about this shithole of a country for weeks

You're like that anyway :p

Personally I believe in taxation as a vital but (sometimes) evil necessity.
  • Options
    nah that's not how it works, you can earn so much without being taxed. it just happens to be that most students earn below that amount so don't get taxed.

Yeah, sorry, just that my former employers lazily used to refer to that tax form as the one for students, so that's how I always think of it.

The point still stands though, unless Ballerina got really jammy in landing her job. It's just over 4k you can earn tax-free isn't it?
  • Options
    Meryn wrote:
    Yeah, sorry, just that my former employers lazily used to refer to that tax form as the one for students, so that's how I always think of it.

The point still stands though, unless Ballerina got really jammy in landing her job. It's just over 4k you can earn tax-free isn't it?
    Its something like £4715 this year. I always tend to go over it though!
  • Options
    Tips are taxable, but I don't think that you pay National Insurance on them. This may have changed recently though. Tips are supposed to be run through a special PAYE scheme which is usually administered by the head waiter / most superior member of staff and taxed accordingly. If you are really concerned about not paying the correct amount of tax on your tips, then you can ring the tax office and we will be more than happy to put a deduction in your tax code to account for the amount of tips you receive annually.

The standard personal allowance for those under 65 is £4895. Everyone is liable to pay tax, even new born babies if they have an income of more than £4985. Students are also liable to tax, but they can sign a students declaration (form P38s) if they are going to be working in the holidays only. This does not apply if they are also working evenings and weekends.

Sorted?!?
  • Options
    we will be more than happy to put a deduction in your tax code

I bet you will, you thieving bastards!
  • Options
    id give your boss a slap if you make tips you take tips,but as said your employers are probably just funny about it not being declared on the old tax front.