Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

UCAS&CLEARING

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
ok, well i'm not too sure how to explain this but i'll give it a go!
basically, ive just finished my first year at uni but ive decided i dont want to carry on there doing the course that im doing, i want to go somewhere else and do something else (i have got a job but ive decided that's not for me either.)
so, i phoned up UCAS and asked and they said i can still go through clearing this year, i just need to apply online. ive signed up but i seem to have to do with whole personal statement thing and get a reference. obviously i cant fill in the courses section but it seems to imply i need to do everything else. is that right? because who's going to read the reference and personal statement as its not being sent to any Unis? I just want a clearing form!
and also, is there any way a Uni would let me have a place before cleaing? if i phoned and told them my grades etc?
hmm.. i hope this made sense!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kat_B wrote:
    ok, well i'm not too sure how to explain this but i'll give it a go!
    basically, ive just finished my first year at uni but ive decided i dont want to carry on there doing the course that im doing, i want to go somewhere else and do something else (i have got a job but ive decided that's not for me either.)
    so, i phoned up UCAS and asked and they said i can still go through clearing this year, i just need to apply online. ive signed up but i seem to have to do with whole personal statement thing and get a reference. obviously i cant fill in the courses section but it seems to imply i need to do everything else. is that right? because who's going to read the reference and personal statement as its not being sent to any Unis? I just want a clearing form!
    and also, is there any way a Uni would let me have a place before cleaing? if i phoned and told them my grades etc?
    hmm.. i hope this made sense!

I think that because you are deciding to start again, you still have to re-enter your details onto the system, but as it's so late, they'll know you can only go through clearing because all other course applications will have long since passed their deadlines. For example, I've auditioned for my drama course at Exeter, the deadlines for the auditions to finish was like May-ish I believe. So after that, you have to go through clearing. I think you already know that...as far as I know, you can't, in a sense, 'pre-book' a clearing placement...as clearing is sort of a first come basis thing as I believed?

Sorry I'm not more helpful!
    Thanks anyway! I just phoned UCAS to ask and I do have to do the whole personal statement thing again because when it comes to clearing, if a Uni says they're interested, UCAS will send them a copy of my form so they can read the personal statement, reference etc. They said the only way I might not have to go through clearing is if a Uni hasn't offered all their places.. but I'm guessing that's gonna be unlikely.
    yeah they did another dose of applyin in march i think 4 those who didnt get the offers they wanted in jan,so now its clearing!
    billybob87 wrote:
    yeah they did another dose of applyin in march i think 4 those who didnt get the offers they wanted in jan,so now its clearing!

some of the interviews in march are for art students as they get two choices, route A,which is the same as everyone else, or route B which means your interview is later as it is hard to get a decent portfolio together by january so they give you more time.