Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

council tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
about to move into my first home. do i need to contact the council with regards to council tax or will they get in touch with us or will i just get a big fat bill?
any advice would be greatly received, ta!

Comments

• Options
    You should really contact them yourself as soon as you move in, but even if you dont they will contact you!!Theres no way of avoiding that ridiculously huge bill!! :no: They have ways and means of finding out whos living where and when!!
  • Options
    You need to contact them.
  • Options
    Contact your local council’s council tax office to let them know the date you move out of your current property and when you move into your new one so they bill you correctly.

From HERE

I typed 'Council tax' into google and got the answer. I find that with something so important it is usually best to find official sources than ask people on a message board.
  • Options
    thank you
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    I'm still waiting for a gas and electricity bill

I've done my bit contacting the relevant people - I just *know* they'll land me with one big bill some day :(

Contact them again.
  • Options
    Exactly, you can't avoid it it will come so the sooner the better.
  • Options
    I wouldn't get in touch with the council, I'd let the thieving cunts find you first.

With a bit of luck they might all get a terribly painful illness and die horribly. I'd be so happy if they did.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I wouldn't get in touch with the council, I'd let the thieving cunts find you first.

With a bit of luck they might all get a terribly painful illness and die horribly. I'd be so happy if they did.

You seem...bitter...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

i tried that approach.

it took them less than a week. :o

i'm ignoring it so far though, as the house is unoccupied, and therefore not in need of any council services.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    not in need of any council services.

Just as well really, its not like the council actually provide any for their £1000 a year.

Bitter? Me?

I'm not bitter at all that I had to pay the thieves a grand for, erm, not a lot really. I got to contribute to the £1,400,000 paid to councillors for their expenses last year though. A bargain, I'm sure you'd all agree :thumb:

Words cannot describe how much I loathe the council and all the thieving bastard bosses that "work" there. Actually, I'm being unfair, taking so many backhanders and bribes is tiring work.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Just as well really, its not like the council actually provide any for their £1000 a year.

thankfully our house is in the lowest tax band. even so, i feel £700 a year is a bit steep for collecting bins (only thing they seem to manage).

anyone know if responsibility for clearing dumped stuff in a council house lies with the council or their tenant? apparently cleaning the shit up off their half of our shared drive is too much to manage, and i don't much fancy having a showdown with ms. asbo next door :nervous:
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    how come my little apartment manages to get into band B :(

because i (will) live in an area where 40% of the houses are local authority owned :) so you get a lot more for your money.

bands are worked out on the price the house was in 1992 (i think) and to be the cheapest, it has to have been worth £35,000 or less. our little house sold for £11,000 in 1991. bless.
  • Options
  • Options
    Council Tax, that most evil and unfair tax of all. Hope you get it all sorted out and don't forget, your local council aren't interested in excuses, they will demand their money no mater what. If ever you have cause to speak to them, always have a witness with you.
  • Options
    Ask your local council. If you are having any kind of problems with tenants then it is the council's responsibility to ensure they are good neighbours, and this includes telling them to clear their shit up.

i might write them a polite letter telling them that having broken glass in a pit on a drive where kiddies play is probably not the greatest of ideas if they're trying to avoid being sued.

i guess the tent, duvet, plastic pond, chest of drawers and tv aren't quite as dangerous, but i'd still prefer not to have to run them over in order to get down our drive.