Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

10th Planet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How rare There is officially a 10th planet apparantly. :shocking:

Comments

• Options
    Nothing new, this was discussed ages ago. Even my kids were taught about it at school.

Have a feeling "someone" may ve after more funding [/cynic]
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Old news, sorry...
  • Options
    Well it was only confirmed as one recently AS IT SAYS IF YOU WERE TO READ THE ARTICLE :grump:
  • Options
    10th planet...UR-ANUS :yeees: :p

there's a debate whether pluto is a planet or a moon aswell. certanly small enough to be a moon
  • Options
    It's quite eye opening that only americans were credited with the discovery, where it was observed before them by someone else. Think it was the french, can't remember.
  • Options
    It's quite eye opening that only americans were credited with the discovery, where it was observed before them by someone else. Think it was the french, can't remember.
    really!?
    and why dont they give the planet a proper name?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    really!?
    and why dont they give the planet a proper name?

They may do eventually. All astronomers / space science type people have their own classification system for all objects in space, so they can keep track of them. All asteroids have a code name for example, like a kind of barcode. Otherwise it would be impossible to keep track of them all. Here they've just carried on with the procedure, but they may well name it after a greek or roman god or goddess. As far as I know some of the moons in the far space system were discovered and givven a dodgy name, then they named them after the sons/daughters of the planet or something along those lines. Look at Jupiter, Io (one of jupiter's moons) was one of his lovers.
  • Options
    old news? this may have been based on data from 2003, but it's a very recent discovery, as such. I think the other one you were thinking about was a different one :chin: although it has spurred more debate as to what a planet actually is. It is most likely the biggest of objects in the kupier belt, (which is out beyond pluto). It is odd how the Americans get the glory in the bbc article - unless it's a different discovery New Scientist says it was made by "Jose-Luis Ortiz, an astronomer at the Sierra Nevada Observatory in Spain".
  • Options
    i remember being told about a 'planet x' that people could only see every squidllion years or so
  • Options
    It is old. They knew it must exist because the formulas of physics didn't work without a planet past pluto to keep everything in orbit.
  • Options
    the chances of anything coming from ...
  • Options
    Pluto isnt a planet, so this keeps us at the 9 planets.
  • Options
    If this is a planet, so is Pluto... they both are at the centre of the minor / major planet disagreement.

The belt that both of these objects are part of is made up of 1000's of asteroids, and Pluto and the new planet are simply the largest found there.

However Pluto was declared a 'major planet' when discovered in the 1930s and despite constant debate on the issue (it's been claimed that if discovered now, Pluto would never have been called a planet) it's never been demoted to 'minor planet' status.

So this new planetish has kicked off the same debate again. Those who say Pluto is a planet have to accept this as a planet as well (it's larger and almost identical), those who say Pluto is just a minor planet will use this as an opportunity to downgrade Pluto and the new planet to minor planet status.

btw the real outrage is the naming - the American's are planning to call the new planet 'Xena', because - 'we always wanted to name something Xena'. If that's the best we can come up with for only the tenth discovered planet in our solar system then science is doomed.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    btw the real outrage is the naming - the American's are planning to call the new planet 'Xena', because - 'we always wanted to name something Xena'. If that's the best we can come up with for only the tenth discovered planet in our solar system then science is doomed.

Why do the Americans get to name it? They weren't the first observers of it... not as far as I know anyway.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Why do the Americans get to name it? They weren't the first observers of it... not as far as I know anyway.

That's true.

I say we call it "Aliens cross this and die." in honour of most films involving Aliens, and we set up a permenant military base on it. This could easily be the Republican's next election campaign, to prevent Islamic Aliens attacking us... :chin:

Either way, its fucking ace. Our Galazy grows in size!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Either way, its fucking ace. Our Galazy grows in size!

Its always been growing in size since it came into being.
  • Options
    theres two more planets been discovered as well.
  • Options
    there's another article on the subject from new scientist here

and there's one here from nature;

"Provisionally named 2003 EL61, it was first seen in 2003 by Jose-Luis Ortiz, an astronomer from the Institute of Astrophysics in Andalusia, Spain, and his colleagues. They used the Sierra Nevada Observatory in Granada, Spain, and observations this month confirmed its existence.

The object had also been spotted by a group at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, led by astronomer Mike Brown. They first saw it on 28 December 2004, hence its seasonal sobriquet.

"There's no question that the Spanish group is rightly credited with discovery," writes Brown on his website. "We could have announced the object earlier, but we took a chance that no one else would while we were awaiting our observations from the Spitzer Space Telescope. We were wrong!""
  • Options

C'mon its better than naming it after Mickey Mouse's dog :thumb:
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    C'mon its better than naming it after Mickey Mouse's dog :thumb:

well, it was actually nicknamed santa. :lol:
  • Options
    Good thing they didn't name it "Bush". Or worse, "Britney".
    Actually, I can't decide which would be worse...
  • Options
    Personally I vote for Prometheus - that's a great name for a planet
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Personally I vote for Prometheus - that's a great name for a planet
    rolly?
  • Options
    I don't know, it sounds too ominus. It's a name I'd probably give to a comet on a course to destroy Earth (although the "real" Prometheus helped people).
  • Options
    I'm just going off the idea of knowledge bringing progress and the sense of Prometheus providing security (through fire) to the human race against the will of gods... just seems like the perfect name for a scientific discovery that goes the grain of previosly held beliefs.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    I'm just going off the idea of knowledge bringing progress and the sense of Prometheus providing security (through fire) to the human race against the will of gods... just seems like the perfect name for a scientific discovery that goes the grain of previosly held beliefs.
    I guess that's right, but it doesn't sound like that big a discovery... In that sense, it's a name I'd choose for a planet that explains where we came from or something. Something very important and/or helpful...
  • Options
    I'm just looking for anything that sounds momentous - at this rate it'll be planets; Xena, Picard, Archer, Buck Rogers and Chewbacca
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    I'm just looking for anything that sounds momentous - at this rate it'll be planets; Xena, Picard, Archer, Buck Rogers and Chewbacca
    :D Not bad names at al... :p
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    :D Not bad names at al... :p

mmmmm, if ya say so :lol: :rolleyes: :no:
  • Options
    As I said there are 2 more found as well. The other two are being named after North American deities. Quaor and something else.