Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

i got pulled over last night....for being asian

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so there we were, driving home after footy and a pint down the spoon, i spotted the meatwagon lying in wait just as we were getting onto the motorway.......i thought to myself, wouldn't it be funny if they pulled us over, cos there happened to be four asian lads in the car.......sure enough they pulled out after us, and after a minute or so flashed the lights to pull us over.......out jump 5 or 6 of them, approached each door of the car, and told my 3 mates to jump out the car, i was questioned inside, presumably so they could corroborate our stories.......

now i've been pulled over a few times before, only with white dudes in the car, and the attitude has been quite different, they are a lot more polite, and usually only one officer comes to the car to have a chat etc........this felt different, like they were trying to intimidate us.......so they asked the usual questions, where have you been blah blah......then after a few minutes of this one of them jumps out of the van and motions to the others that it's okay, we're not terrorists, then they tried to just get out of there sharpish.......

i asked one of them why they had pulled us over, he said 'four young lads in a car, you're bound to get pulled over aren't you?' with a wry grin, what he really meant to say was 'four young asian lads'.......he must have sensed i wasnt happy with this response, and quickly added 'but anyways we can pull you over under the road traffic act' as if to say, we can do what we like mate don't get cocky.......we were like, so aren't you going to fill out a stop and search form then, where you have to give a reason for why you stopped us, but they just couldn't get out of there fast enough......

what really gave it away was when my mate asked one of them straight out 'so it wasn't because we're asian?' , and the guy replied 'of course not, ARE YOU ASIAN?' as if there was some ambiguity on the matter, and my mate was like 'nah we don't look asian do we?', and the copper was like 'errghh, noo....' , and then turned to leave and my mate piped up 'have you really got nothing better to do?'.........that really pissed him off and he came over trying to provoke my friend into a response, we stopped him getting back out of the car and just drove off..........but there you have it, brown is the new black........

Comments

• Options
    But you might be a terrorist!

And people think that the police are honest and noble men...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Jesus, much feeling sorry for you. But bound to happen, the Terrorists won here and made us a split community.

Its a fucking joke. Thank god they told you they were cops and draw guns, or didn't load you full of lead. You're lucky really they didn't take you in for questioning. Perhap's it'll become like speed camera's, they'll just randomly pull in Asians to look busy or like they are having an effect?

Either way, I feel sorry for anyone who isn't white. You get a hard time.
  • Options
    They will have been acting up because they were ina group. Bullies always do.

It's very important that you get out of the car first when you get pulled over. Oh, and remember you can do what you like til they tell you you are being detained.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    klintock wrote:
    It's very important that you get out of the car first when you get pulled over. Oh, and remember you can do what you like til they tell you you are being detained.

Not the cleverest of ideas if you want to get on your way though. If you give them a hard time, they'll respond by giving you a hard time.

We used to get pulled over by the gavers locally at least once a week until I made a complaint - I was having to supply my driving documents up to 3 times a mont. Just for the way we dressed and looked.

My experience is that the bastards will often pull a car full of lads over anyway, whatever their race. They get bored and love having a good nose about in your business.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Not the cleverest of ideas if you want to get on your way though. If you give them a hard time, they'll respond by giving you a hard time.

Not really giving them a hard time is it. It's more like a case of "look like you know your rights, they find easier pickings". All I do is get out of my car, walk over to them and say "What's up mate?", a perfectly reasonable question.
    We used to get pulled over by the gavers locally at least once a week until I made a complaint - I was having to supply my driving documents up to 3 times a mont. Just for the way we dressed and looked.

Which is why this worked.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    klintock wrote:
    Not really giving them a hard time is it. It's more like a case of "look like you know your rights, they find easier pickings". All I do is get out of my car, walk over to them and say "What's up mate?", a perfectly reasonable question.

Why bother though?
    Generally if you get out of the car they will ask you to get back in it. There's no point in aggravating them because they will give you a hard time.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Why bother though?
    Generally if you get out of the car they will ask you to get back in it. There's no point in aggravating them because they will give you a hard time.

i agree with skive on this one, if i've got time to waste i'll be an awkward bastard, but last nite for instance i really needed a piss so I just wanted to be on my way..........and yeah I have gotten out of the car before, only to be told to get back in, so why waste your energy.......
  • Options
    They might just be performing those "random" searches they've been talking about...
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    They might just be performing those "random" searches they've been talking about...

yeah we heard excuses ranging from 'just a routine check' to 'given the current climate, blah blah'..........but the reality is i don't think they would have treated us like that if we were white, it's now a case of guilty until proven innocent.......i posted somewhere else that looking for potential islamic fundies is inherently racist, last nite was proof in my eyes.......
  • Options
    Do you think if there was any white people who blew themselves up then they wudnt go around searching asians all the time?
  • Options
    I should point out that I was pulled over t'other night.

I'm white, in my thirties and drive a boring-as-fuck car...
  • Options

Questions are great aren't they.

Why did you get back in btw?

Try "Am I under arrest?"

Follow it by "Am I free to go?"

I find it helps if you play it slightly confused and helpful. They will tell you you are being "detained" whatever the fuck that means.

Same, they really don't give a shit whose time they waste.
  • Options
    It appears that Asian is the new black...
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    Do you think if there was any white people who blew themselves up then they wudnt go around searching asians all the time?

They wouldn't have looked for Asian IRA members now, would they? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I should point out that I was pulled over t'other night.

i'm not pissed off for getting pulled over, it has happened before........i was more miffed at the manner in which they did it, 5 or 6 people surrounding the car etc........completely unnecessary, they were on some power trip.
  • Options
    They had a van, one copper pulling everyone over, two talking to the car drivers and three standing around.

They "claimed" to be checking for drink drivers, but really it was just a fishing trip and they were looking for anything they could get. They wanted to know where I'd been, what I'd been doing and where I was going... etc

They had no reason to pull me really.
  • Options
    They had a van, one copper pulling everyone over, two talking to the car drivers and three standing around.

They "claimed" to be checking for drink drivers, but really it was just a fishing trip and they were looking for anything they could get. They wanted to know where I'd been, what I'd been doing and where I was going... etc

They had no reason to pull me really.

but did you feel intimidated? and were they polite, you know like good evening sir, etc.........cos that's how police are supposed to be, i've had brushes in the past but if they're polite i've no qualm.........like i said before, it's the mentality of guilty until proven innocent that pisses me off......
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But you might be a terrorist!

Now I’m not condoning the polices attitude toward apollo, but i seem to get the impression that there's uproar about a higher percentage of Asian looking people being randomly stopped and searched. This seems logical to me. Surely if you want protection from the police then you have to allow them to do their job and the based on the information that they have. If a Christian fundamentalist group were allegedly behind a series of attacks and the suspects had being predominately white then I’d fully expect to be randomly stopped and searched over the black or Asian looking guy next to me. I'd consider the police to be doing their job as best they could with the information that they had.

Have I missed some glaring civil liberty point here?
  • Options

yes, and the fact most terroism things etc are prevented by good intelligence work, not by good policework
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    so there we were, driving home after footy and a pint down the spoon, i spotted the meatwagon lying in wait just as we were getting onto the motorway.......i thought to myself, wouldn't it be funny if they pulled us over, cos there happened to be four asian lads in the car.......sure enough they pulled out after us, and after a minute or so flashed the lights to pull us over.......out jump 5 or 6 of them, approached each door of the car, and told my 3 mates to jump out the car, i was questioned inside, presumably so they could corroborate our stories.......

now i've been pulled over a few times before, only with white dudes in the car, and the attitude has been quite different, they are a lot more polite, and usually only one officer comes to the car to have a chat etc........this felt different, like they were trying to intimidate us.......so they asked the usual questions, where have you been blah blah......then after a few minutes of this one of them jumps out of the van and motions to the others that it's okay, we're not terrorists, then they tried to just get out of there sharpish.......

i asked one of them why they had pulled us over, he said 'four young lads in a car, you're bound to get pulled over aren't you?' with a wry grin, what he really meant to say was 'four young asian lads'.......he must have sensed i wasnt happy with this response, and quickly added 'but anyways we can pull you over under the road traffic act' as if to say, we can do what we like mate don't get cocky.......we were like, so aren't you going to fill out a stop and search form then, where you have to give a reason for why you stopped us, but they just couldn't get out of there fast enough......

what really gave it away was when my mate asked one of them straight out 'so it wasn't because we're asian?' , and the guy replied 'of course not, ARE YOU ASIAN?' as if there was some ambiguity on the matter, and my mate was like 'nah we don't look asian do we?', and the copper was like 'errghh, noo....' , and then turned to leave and my mate piped up 'have you really got nothing better to do?'.........that really pissed him off and he came over trying to provoke my friend into a response, we stopped him getting back out of the car and just drove off..........but there you have it, brown is the new black........

Unless this is happening repeatedly, i can't really empathise...plenty of people of all races get stopped by the police as has already been said...i know someone who was searched in London before going on the tube, and he's extremely far off the Islamic terrorist profile...the majority of the people getting searched are actually white, for the very purpose of avoiding being perceived as targeting Islamic-looking people.
  • Options
    yes, and the fact most terroism things etc are prevented by good intelligence work, not by good policework

I agree, but you'd have to think that police searches were going to yield no results to dispute my point by that logic.
  • Options
    WAs it a black car? they get more points for potting the black ;)
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    but did you feel intimidated?

Nope, I was cocksure because I knew they had nothing on me.

They want you to be intimidated by them, I refuse to comply with that. Why should an innocent man feel intimidated?
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    yeah we heard excuses ranging from 'just a routine check' to 'given the current climate, blah blah'..........but the reality is i don't think they would have treated us like that if we were white, it's now a case of guilty until proven innocent.......i posted somewhere else that looking for potential islamic fundies is inherently racist, last nite was proof in my eyes.......

Ok, my opinion is this, I got pulled over, 4 white guys in car. I know times are difficult at the moment especially for certain races and I have friends from all nationalities, colour, but don't use the fact that you're asian is the reason you were treated like that. We got treated like shit that night.

It's time people stopped assuming because you are a certain colour/race/nationality you get treated that way.
  • Options
    "Ok, my opinion is this, I got pulled over, 4 white guys in car. I know times are difficult at the moment especially for certain races and I have friends from all nationalities, colour, but don't use the fact that you're asian is the reason you were treated like that. We got treated like shit that night.

It's time people stopped assuming because you are a certain colour/race/nationality you get treated that way."

I think he just wanted to tell us about what happened to him, and that is perfectly fine. And people of certain characteristics do get pulled over more/questioned more in different situations, it is a fact.

I do think we all get treated like shit FirstLove, but some people get treated in an intolerable manner. Complain against the individual coppers, and you'll probably see as their complaints pile rises the number of stop and searches performed in a disrespectful manner will decrease!!

peace out x :thumb:
  • Options
    They give white lads a hard time too if they look a certain way.

I'm white and I got stopped the other week. They weren't nice at all at first, but when I was polite back they became more civil. So what? Don't assume they treat you "badly" because your Asian.

On the point about racial profiling when looking for Islamic fundaments is racist is bollocks, of course they are going to look for Middle-Eastern and Asian men primarily, as they are many, many more times likely to be Islamic terrorists.

It'd be just as stupid to say we can't specifically profile Irish suspects when looking for IRA members, ridiculous.
  • Options
    Um, not to mention the suspicions of the Islamists being funded by white, middle class men?

What was that? Did anything come of it? Or was it more dumb arse hype confusing my brain?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Um, not to mention the suspicions of the Islamists being funded by white, middle class men?

What was that? Did anything come of it? Or was it more dumb arse hype confusing my brain?

i think clandestine is making sweet sweet conspiracy love in your brain
  • Options
    Now I’m not condoning the polices attitude toward apollo, but i seem to get the impression that there's uproar about a higher percentage of Asian looking people being randomly stopped and searched. This seems logical to me. Surely if you want protection from the police then you have to allow them to do their job and the based on the information that they have. If a Christian fundamentalist group were allegedly behind a series of attacks and the suspects had being predominately white then I’d fully expect to be randomly stopped and searched over the black or Asian looking guy next to me. I'd consider the police to be doing their job as best they could with the information that they had.

yes, it's glaringly obvious........what information do they have, do tell? asians make good bombers? i don't think you get it, if a christian fundie group were bombing london the police wouldn't stop a bunch of white people, because they are the majority........ethnic minorities are much easier to target, i notice when the ira were blowing things up they didn't have a shoot to kill policy in force, because an innocent white man might have been shot, and then there would have been an uproar.......anyways, you just admitted the police's methods of racial profiling are racist......
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    the majority of the people getting searched are actually white

source? i'm specifically talking about post 7/7......