Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Arctic Monkeys

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone heard these guys? I was skeptical at first...party because of the god awful name and partly because there's a mass of bands coming out at the moment more keen on copying things that have been done than trying to be original.

But...there's quite a groove to some of their stuff actually. I'm pretty impressed. Of what I've listened to I'd reccommend:

Mardi bum,
Scummy,
Fake Tales of San Francisco

(I assume those are the names - they may have been labelled wrongly)

Still got a few more to listen to but of the eight or nine so far they sound pretty good!

Anyone know any other up and coming bands that are sounding like they might have something

p.s. oh and also try the paddingtons - they've been around for a little bit longer and I think the albums coming out soon but they've got some nice tunes and are awesome live!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    your guy manickev here likes them
    They're already over-hyped. I heard Fake Tales of San Fransico and Scummy, and I just don't get them. Scummy, in my mind, is just awful, really, and Fake Tales of San Fransico isn't nothing special.
    What genre are they?
    What genre are they?

erm ... indie rock I suppose?

In the same veign as Strokes/Libertines et al

I do think the lyrics are pretty inventive really ... I suppose the musics not the most incredibly original but there's nice punchy rythyms and melodies and the singer does have a good voice.

As to the hype I don't really know ... been out the country all year so have no clue ... just remember a couple of lads mentioning them a month or two back when I was in the states so thought i'd get round to checking them out.
    Ah... Am sick of 'indie' to be honest.... What tends to be coined as 'indie' these days tends to be veering towards 'mainstream', which pretty much defies the point of even being called 'indie' in the first place.
    Ah... Am sick of 'indie' to be honest.... What tends to be coined as 'indie' these days tends to be veering towards 'mainstream', which pretty much defies the point of even being called 'indie' in the first place.

I know a few people who'll basically call anything based around guitars, other than the most obvious of punk and metal, indie...It's silly.
    Well lets face it most indie labels were bought out by majors by the mid 90s so there very few (and haven't been for a long time) proper indies like there was in the 80s.

Its just a stupid tag people use to try and group music together like any other number of tags.
    Nightfreak wrote:
    I know a few people who'll basically call anything based around guitars, other than the most obvious of punk and metal, indie...It's silly.

Well that's sort of strange sinse it was the whole punk ethos that inspired independent record labels in the first place :confused:
    What genre are they?

They've been touted as the 'Northern Libertines'

I think they are one of the best new bands out in a long time, and for a bunch of 18 year olds they write pretty complex lyrics. Mardy Bum is absolute class!!!

Jon_UK- see my previous thread Monkeys

Nightfreak, try their forthcoming album, 'Seriously Cool Mammals' (I belive that's the working title) I've got a mate who did some of the artwork on their tour stuff, and he had loads of their stuff, which he played over and over - admittedly, it took me a few listens (I had a similar opinion to yourself initially), but they just grow on you!

:thumb:
    Ok should have done a search ... am far too lazy for that sort of thing though

Yeah Mardy Bum would be my favourite of the ones i've heard. They sound pretty good but i hope the one's i've listened to aren't all that's going to be on the album ... they're all very similar and not really to different from what out there at the moment.

They're good but I hope they don't try and produce another album of singles like so many bands seem to be doing!

Have accoustic guitars dissapeared from Britain? Can't remember the last time I listened to a new album and heard one!
    haha. never heard of artic monkeys.
    haha. never heard of artic monkeys.

Is there anything you have heard of or don't think is 'shite' : re: your other threads

Prat. Haha
    I heard them and immediately thought of The Libs.

I've heard Mardy Bum and Settle For a Draw. Mardy is an average song spiced up with a catchy riff, whilst I'm not prepared to listen to Settle a second time to conjour up a verdict.

Another next big thing band. They'll be playing pubs a year from now.
    Jon_UK wrote:
    p.s. oh and also try the paddingtons - they've been around for a little bit longer and I think the albums coming out soon but they've got some nice tunes and are awesome live!

Don't listen to the paddingtons they're fucking wank. Terrible live and on record they sound like a different band...and the scenesters that hang on are twats.

I went to see the arctic monkeys in a working mens club in barnsley last week. The lyrics are quite clever for 18 year olds, very much a South Yorks thing I reckon. They are townie bastards and the singer was wearing a hackett polo shirt with the collar up! Not as well dressed as the libs.

"You're not from New York City, You're from Rotherham"
    Don't listen to the paddingtons they're fucking wank. Terrible live and on record they sound like a different band...and the scenesters that hang on are twats.

I went to see the arctic monkeys in a working mens club in barnsley last week. The lyrics are quite clever for 18 year olds, very much a South Yorks thing I reckon. They are townie bastards and the singer was wearing a hackett polo shirt with the collar up! Not as well dressed as the libs.

"You're not from New York City, You're from Rotherham"

No I quite like the Paddingtons - saw them live and thought they were good and I like the stuff i've downloaded .... as for the scensters that hang along? ...who gives a fuck - i don't want to hang out with the band - if i like the music why should i care who they hang out with?

Same thing with the dress sense of arctic monkeys ... who cares what they dress like?

I only ask one thing from a band ... that i like the music ... what else matters?
    Yeh man i'm digging the paddingtons too, but I think 21 is the best song of their's by a long shot.

Arctic Monkeys are cool. By no means ground breaking but for guys my age who havn't been playing long I'm impressed. I've been mucking around with guitar probably twice as long and am nowhere near as good songs! "From The Ritz To The Rubble" and " (Bet You Look Good) On The Dancefloor" are good tunes to check out Jon.
    Yeah 21 is there best

I got those two by the monkeys as well. Found a download that had all their demos plus some Lamacq live ones and some interviews. Its good stuff