Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

drying clothes at uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
im going to uni in september and im hoping to be staying in the halls of accomodation.

as most students do, im bringing quite a few clothes with me.. but i have only one question (to current/past students) how do you dry your clothes?

im aware that a lot of unis nowadays have tumbledryers that you can pay for BUT my experiences concerning tumble dryers is that they shrink my clothes..
therefore i am very tentative about putting my favourite clothes such as jeans and t-shirts in there because i fear they will severely shrink!

whats the alternative? what do you do about it? just leave them around your room until they dry naturally?
because when ive done that in the past the clothes sometimes.. smell a little funky :yes:

i know this is sort of a strange question to be asking but oh well ;) i just want to be fully prepared :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i used to have one of those clothes rack things, bout £5 from argos and i used to just put that up in my room or in the bathroom or something and let stuff dry, only stuff like jeans and shirts. the other stuff went in the dryer, which was like 40p a spin
    radiators maybe?
    Drying rack. Some uni halls have drying rooms as well.
    My halls had tumble driers. They were free. My clothes didn't shrink.
    I used one of the clothes rack thingys to dry most of my stuff or use radiators. The tumble driers shrunk alot of my tops.
    you can get drying racks that fit over radiators. your clothes dry quickly and you save a packet.
    i wish our tumble dryers had been free!! it cost us a £1. and £1.50 for the washing machine.
    our tumble dryers were £1 too.
    I used one of those drying racks from Argos. folds up neatly when you're not using it, comes out for a few hours to dry your stuff when necessary. I found that the easiest solution.
    Our dryers were 20p for 12 mins, and the machines were £1 before 12 and £1.50 after. So not really so bad.
    We paid about £20 a year and got all washing and tumble drying thrown in. That was in halls.

In the house we didn't have a tumble dryer. We used clothes racks over the radiators and we had a clothes horse. In a warm room clothes will dry within a day, except thick stuff which might take a little longer.

It's the best way. Unless you pile wet clothes on top of each other they won't smell.
    When I lived in halls i had my own ensuite bathroom and used to hang my clothes in there with the fan on and they dried really quickly.
    everyone uses dryers in halls.
    unless you are doing your laundry all the time... i doubt you'll be able to dry the lot of it using any other method esp. if you are drying jeans or other thick material which would take a long time to dry.