Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

is there no national opposition these days

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
none of the newspapers are attacking the government approach, theyre just trying to keep with it, none of the political parties are arguing for more civil liberties

we're turning into a non-opposition state or something

from my reading a huge raft of newspapers today, the only real criticism ive seen is by one guy in the times editorial, whose very hawk like still as well but is like "this isnt the way to improve the situation"

these apparant 'terroists' would like a police state with no freedom of speech and no real rule of law and justice, seems theyre getting their way quite nicely

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I do agree with you that we need people to stick up for our civil liberties etc.

However I don't agree with framing the debate in terms of a terrorist 'victory'

I am sure that the terrorists don't actually think to themselves that their bombings = police state and that this is what they are aiming for in some way because that is bollocks. To be honest I am not sure anyone could give a coherent description of what the terrorists aims were, probably not even themselves.
    we're turning into a non-opposition state or something

All the old opposition has been swallowed by the state. The tories are useless, and want this sort of shite anyway - the papers have been bought, the media in general are self interested corporations or state controlled. Political parties have been shoved into a "middle ground" that is anything but, but which they don't seem keen to leave.

There is opposition but rather handily for those who want to be your masters it's fragmented, individualistic and disorganised, or organised only in a pressure group somewhere fighting for just one aim.
    I am sure that the terrorists don't actually think to themselves that their bombings = police state and that this is what they are aiming for in some way because that is bollocks.

Well the only aim seems to be to put fear in people and the only people this benefits (really) are the ones who want to remove civil liberties. We have an "enemy" apparently who has no stated aims, no political party, no nation, no state, no overt objective at all, but is willing to kill himself anyway.

Doesn't seem to plausible when it's put like that, does it?
    The continual claim that "this is what the terrorists want" is in one sense frighteningly true. Set aside the fictitious foreign boogeymen notion sold to the public to justify these long planned measures and concentrate on the real source of the terrorism, our own collusionist elite aparati of state, and youll find the only real "terrorists", and find them desperate to entrench their privelege and power at any cost (the lives of the herd notwithstanding).

Emmanuel Goldstein by any other name is still a myth reinforced through repetitive assertion by all mainstream mouthpieces.
    Toadborg wrote:
    I do agree with you that we need people to stick up for our civil liberties etc.

However I don't agree with framing the debate in terms of a terrorist 'victory'

I am sure that the terrorists don't actually think to themselves that their bombings = police state and that this is what they are aiming for in some way because that is bollocks. To be honest I am not sure anyone could give a coherent description of what the terrorists aims were, probably not even themselves.

no i odnt think tey have a goal other than to cause mayhem really, in their own specific goal if the yhave one they have no chance of winning, ever

however this government is taking the piss, and so are our outlets of information