Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

In a rut, want to leave job and go travelling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Ok so, Im in a mess, I hate it here, I want to pack up and get the hell out of this stinking country.

Ive made the first step of telling my workplace that I wont be staying for much longer and that I want to travel.

Now what do I do?! I just need some general advice. I know my Mums going to get medieval on my ass, cos she thinks travelling is dangerous and stupid (cos I'd have no fixed abode or job) but thats inevitable.

Has anyone just packed in their job and tripped the light fandango?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well first you'll need a travel plan...

Where are you going? - if its another country, will you need a visa (just to get in or if you plan on staying for a while)

How do you intend to pay for yourself? - yes you need to eat still!, and you may need a work visa perhaps

Are you planning on travelling to other countries? - will you need all of the above for them?

Where will you stay? - hotels? - campsites?

I say go for it, it'll probably be one of the best things you'll do... but please put some, no alot of planning into it first. What will be your plan if it all goes wrong, how will you get home? - calling home when your in Oz although possible, is not going to be a quick fix solution etc...

Hope all works out well for you - let me know how you get on
    Well my sister and I have decided we'd like to go to Thailand after Xmas for a few weeks to a month or so. Depends.

Im looking at travel plans now, where to stay etc, we're going to save up from now until then. Try and get at least £2k together which won't be too hard between us. No one will give me a loan, so Im having to save the hard way.

How do we go about getting Visas and how much do they cost?

We'll stay anywhere we can, a shower and a bed for the night is all I ask for. I'll find out more about where to stay via books and the internet.
    Well baring in mind the average meal in Bangkok and Thailand is about a £1 for a main. Plus your own beach hut in some areas will cost as little as £4 a night. £2k should be ok.

I know that a 30 day visa is issued as a freebie. But i think a longer 90 day one is £15 if applied for via the thai embassy in London. Though there is a lot of red tape and chasing up neccessary