Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shoot to kill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know there have been several threads about the shooting already. But what do you think about the police shoot to kill policy (if they suspect the person is a suicide bomb). Is it fair to kill one to save many? Also the risk that the person is innocent..

Comments

• Options
    No.

Mad as it seems, I believe that the "saving many" part isn't the one you suggested in that comment. Saving many means allowing 50 people to die so that the 55m who remain still have their rights.
  • Options
    I know there have been several threads about the shooting already. But what do you think about the police shoot to kill policy (if they suspect the person is a suicide bomb). Is it fair to kill one to save many? Also the risk that the person is innocent..

No.

In no way.

Ever.

Without a trial, evidence, calm deliberation etc. We don't have a death penalty even then, because with those safeguards we cannot be absolutely certain of guilt.

What's the point of "protecting" you against terrorists is you live in fear anyway?

Why bother defending a way of life if you are willing to destroy it regardless?

Do you really think that this shit is as bad as facing Hitler and co?

We are seriously looking at Pandora's box being opened here, the level of justification for unarmed goons plugging the innocent I have heard from people chills me to the quick, if I am being quite frank.
  • Options
    So if someone said shoot this person to save 20 innocent people, you would not do it?
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    So if someone said shoot this person to save 20 innocent people, you would not do it?

what type of question is that? i'd rather arrest that person to save the lives of twenty, police had a shoot to kill policy over here many years ago...innocent people died then...it's not a good policy
  • Options
    What ever happened to the rights we are supposed to be fighting to keep Jonny?

You don't save 20 innocent lives by killing another innocent. You condemn 55m people...
  • Options

Under what circumstances can you possibly imagine anyone would have to make this choice?
  • Options
    Debate rages over shoot to kill

I support the ‘shoot-to-kill-to-protect’ policy. As we've seen in London recently and too many times in Israel suicide bombers have killed so many innocent people. Stopping a suicide bomber by shooting them is sadly a necessary evil to protect the lives of innocent people.
  • Options
    Stopping a suicide bomber by shooting them is sadly a necessary evil to protect the lives of innocent people.

if you can of course prove they're suicide bombers eh?
  • Options
    I support the ‘shoot-to-kill-to-protect’ policy. As we've seen in London recently and too many times in Israel suicide bombers have killed so many innocent people. Stopping a suicide bomber by shooting them is sadly a necessary evil to protect the lives of innocent people.

Insert >policemen< for suicide bombers both ways and it still makes sense.

I support the ‘shoot-to-kill-to-protect’ policy. As we've seen in London recently and too many times in Israel policemen have killed so many innocent people. Stopping a policeman by shooting them is sadly a necessary evil to protect the lives of innocent people.
  • Options
    Stopping a suicide bomber by shooting them is sadly a necessary evil to protect the lives of innocent people.

I don't disagree with that sentiment, but you have to ask how you know that someone is a suicide bomber.

Unless this is a step "up" for that person from other bombings surely they are still innocent until the moment that detonation happens...
  • Options
    I support the ‘shoot-to-kill-to-protect’ policy. As we've seen in London recently and too many times in Israel suicide bombers have killed so many innocent people.

Odd that even the Israelis don't have a shoot-to-kill policy then, isn't it?

Although admittedly the IDF do anyway.
  • Options
    I don't disagree with that sentiment, but you have to ask how you know that someone is a suicide bomber

Yes, you do. I know the IDF have been pretty good at identifying suicide bombers. I haven't heard of many cases of the IDF mistakenly identifying somebody as a suicide bomber.

One interesting case which I guess displays the Israelis expertise:
    Hussam Abdo, a 16-year old Palestinian who initially claimed he was 14 was captured in a checkpoint near Nablus wearing an explosive belt. The young boy was paid by the Tanzim militia to detonate himself onto the checkpoint. IDF soldiers, manning the checkpoint, were suspicious of him and told him to stay away from people. Later, an EOD team arrived and by using a police-sapper robot, removed the explosive belt from him
    See

Obviously the underground is a lot harder than checkpoints but I think we can learn a lot from them and I think the Met are getting advice from the Israelis.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kermit wrote:
    Odd that even the Israelis don't have a shoot-to-kill policy then, isn't it?

Although admittedly the IDF do anyway.

Although usually the IDF shoot random people unconnected with the terrorists anyway.
  • Options
    I don't disagree with that sentiment, but you have to ask how you know that someone is a suicide bomber.

Unless this is a step "up" for that person from other bombings surely they are still innocent until the moment that detonation happens...

I'm not sure I understand you -are you suggesting that they should only be shot after they've blown themselves up?
  • Options
    he is saying until they blow them selves up they are innocent because surely they havn't committed a crime?

at least thats how iread it i might be wrong though?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Unfortunatley, thqat above is how the law currently works.
  • Options
    but why sadly?

do you really want a world like minority report, where the police arrest you when you have done nothing wrong?Until you comit a crime how can you prove that a crime has taken place? you cant it has to happen otherwise no crime has occured and the person IS innocent
  • Options
    You won't stop terrorism by shooting at suspected people. By killing somebody (which is an act of murder in many people's eyes, including my own) you won't be getting the information you could want and you could risk killing an innocent person. Furthermore you can't kill a tree by snipping at the leaves with a pair of toenail clippers, you need to get at the roots.

Let's face it, this whole thing is a witch hunt. Yes it was horrible what happened in the underground but at the end of the day even if we stop people bombing the underground there are millions of ways to kill people.
  • Options
    If you strongly suspect someones about to blow a bomb, killing others, you should slot them. Other people's lives come before clean consciences.
  • Options
    400 2 nil for the terrorists so far then.

WE as individuals have lost so far in this so called war on terror.
    the taliban murst be celebrating that here in the uk and in the usa ...we are having religous laws passed.
    we're going to have to have id cards.
    our every move is being recorded and now ...
    we have the public so afraid that gun law clint eastwood style has come to our streets ...with YOUR blessing!

wake up!

sadly i fear it's to o late.
  • Options
    I fear so too Rolly. The public's acceptance of even the basic terms and definitions used by lying grasping officials is the very empowerment needed for tyranny to re-emerge within our long complacent societies. The elites have bided their time manipulating political events and players whilst pacifying the sheep with consumer delights until noone wants to dare recognise the actual "terrorists". Such recognition would utterly destroy the long held myths about our own governments, indeed our own supposedly democratic electoral systems and obligate people to rise up and throw these bastards down.

Such civic duty, sadly will only be reborn after generations once again have become familiar with a daily diet of repression and disenfrachisement where there was once smug middle class apathy.

The writing is on the wall but the roast in the oven and the next episode of East Enders is so much more important. Its hardly surprising that the prophets of old were routinely mocked and killed by their own people. Musn't disturb the perceived status quo!
  • Options
    If by the taliban you mean our governments then yes rolly they are winning then yes. Whoever the "terrorists" are they are losing the war by giving our government such a powerful tool (fear) to control and manipulate us.

Once we enter a police state the government will have roots going soo deep that nothing will move them! Terror works in the governments favour not against it, as soon as the so called "terrorists" realise this we might actualyl start moving forward rather than backwards
  • Options
    If u lived in a country that was opressed by the west and the only way u cud strike back is by doing shit like that, wouldnt you?
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    If u lived in a country that was opressed by the west and the only way u cud strike back is by doing shit like that, wouldnt you?
    i take it you believe the war on terror story then?
  • Options
    nah its just, u live in some country that aint great anyway right. Then some other country comes bombs the hell out of you tells you how to do things and kills your familty and friends. You cant stand up against them politically or with any military force, so what do you do?

I mean yeah its wrong, but you can see wherre its coming from.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    nah its just, u live in some country that aint great anyway right. Then some other country comes bombs the hell out of you tells you how to do things and kills your familty and friends. You cant stand up against them politically or with any military force, so what do you do?

orchestrated by the cia and monsanto.
  • Options
    eh?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    If you strongly suspect someones about to blow a bomb, killing others, you should slot them. Other people's lives come before clean consciences.

You were in the forces, you should know better. We are being told that this fight is to maintain our freedoms. Yet, our rights are being removed systematically. This week we saw the right to justice disappear in five shots.

I accept that some blood has to be spilled to make sure that the end goal is achieved. In this case the "many" we should be looking out for is the 55m, not 50 people on a tube train.

This man has no right to appeal, no right to a trial, no right to argue the evidence against him. Somewhere, someone decided that he was guilty and that his death was acceptable. His guilt was assumed, not proven. Hell we don't even have a death sentence in this country, yet we execute people on what appears to be flimsy evidence.

We have to accept that bombers will get through, people will die. But that does not excuse our police forces doing the killing of innocents.

I know it sounds mad, callous even, but the police's job is to arrest. When they choose to kill they must be certain that the person is threatening lives. On Friday morning they gunned down an innocent man because they "thought" he was connected. By Saturday evening they released a statement (thus proving that they had known for a while) admitting that he was innocent.

One day.

All the police have proven this week, is how cheap our lives really are to them.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:

In a few weeks time, saying those words will mean that you may have committed a criminal offence.

Food for thought, eh?
  • Options
    In a few weeks time, saying those words will mean that you may have committed a criminal offence.

Food for thought, eh?
    people still refuse to believe that!
    can you believe that?