Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tuition Fees

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm a Scottish student wanting to study in England and have an interview for Northumbria University tomorrow.

However, on discovering that tuition fees will be over £3,000 a year I am very doubtful about going. Think I'll stay in Scotland where, according to the papers, people from all the UK are applying to escape these hefty amounts. I think it's disgraceful!

What does everyone else think?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I thought English people studying in Scotland still had to pay top up fees?
  • Options
    Why is it wrong for you to want to study in England but for English students to want to study in Scotland? What I really dont like is the differing fees in scotland and wales for people from scotland and wales. If wales wants to give lower fess to welsh people then why shouldnt Welsh people be charged more to study at English Universitys?

And the damn North Welsh Plyd Cymbri (i think i spelt that wrong) do they not know that full indeperpendance would probably leave them bankrupt to high hell! They get so much money from the rest of the UK, they cant afford to be independant. But damn the English anyway!

Arg, i still miss the place; being back in England, especially essex, is deppresing :(

Bopz
  • Options
    Bopperz wrote:
    Why is it wrong for you to want to study in England but for English students to want to study in Scotland?
    Er, did I say that?
  • Options
    Neil wrote:
    I'm a Scottish student wanting to study in England and have an interview for Northumbria University tomorrow.

However, on discovering that tuition fees will be over £3,000 a year I am very doubtful about going. Think I'll stay in Scotland where, according to the papers, people from all the UK are applying to escape these hefty amounts. I think it's disgraceful!

What does everyone else think?

I think we live in an EU where free market economics are highly important, where people have the right to move, work and learn where they choose and you'd do well to get out of your local area and get a wider perspective of what the world is like and the human experience. The argument you're making, of a national lottery for opportunity would be the same argument that would attempt to justify the rich countries continuing to exploit the developing world who suffer in poverty.
  • Options
    Please don't twist my words.

I merely wanted to get accross how silly they are introducing these excessive fees. Imperial College, apparently, are trying to set their yearly fees at £15,000 and I feel this type of arrogance will see a significant reduction in future graduates.
  • Options
    Neil wrote:
    Please don't twist my words.

I merely wanted to get accross how silly they are introducing these excessive fees. Imperial College, apparently, are trying to set their yearly fees at £15,000 and I feel this type of arrogance will see a significant reduction in future graduates.

They can't, it's capped at £3,000. I see the additional funding for universities as a necessity, our country's researchers and lecturers are poorly paid compared to their international colleagues and without more money going to them from somewhere they'll move abroad and this country will enter an intellectual depression. If you had very few lecturers at very few universities then you'd have very few courses offered, that'd see a significant reduction in future graduates.
  • Options
    um, shouldn't the real point be raised; that is, why is the government subsidising billions of pounds worth of technological development in trident, cruise missiles etc......we live in a relative age of peace, there are no communists coming for us (if they ever were), and we have enough weapons to blow the world up several times over.........so why's all the money being pumped into this, when we can't afford to educate our youth, one of the fundamental needs of any modern society?
  • Options
    The Scottish Assembly subsidises the tuition fees for Scottish students studying in Scotland, which is fair enough. Scottish grads pay at the end, AFAIK. The English have to pay regardless.

I think finances are a big concern for a lot of people, and it is something that people need to take into account.

Tuition fees at all are a disgrace.
  • Options
    I don't disagree with tuition fees. I don't think a university education is a right.
  • Options
    It is grossly unfair to prevent people with lesser incomes from attending university because of the cost.

The token scuffers get their fees paid for, but earn over £20,000 and you don't get much help at all. And £20,000 is not a lot of money.

I don't disagree with loans because if you want to live away from home you should pay for it. But they should be enough to live on.

Education based on finances is immoral.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The Scottish Assembly subsidises the tuition fees for Scottish students studying in Scotland, which is fair enough. Scottish grads pay at the end, AFAIK. The English have to pay regardless.

And of course the English tax pounds mean that Scotland can afford to do this in the first place, so not only do we have to pay tuition fee's we indirectly pay the tuition fees of the Scots too, something I deeply object to.

The old level of fee, as in about £1000 a term based on income is not excessive, loans at inflation are totally acceptable but the bulk of the money should come from general taxation.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It is grossly unfair to prevent people with lesser incomes from attending university because of the cost.

It has never stopped anyone I know. Still, I don't know everyone in the whole universe. :p