Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Marks and Spencer interview! Tomorrow! (mon 11th)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,
I have an M&S interview tomorrow.
What questions will they ask?
What questions should i ask?
What should i wear (smart trousers and shirt okay)?
What questions should i ask customers in the practical bit?

This is my first interview!! Help!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

God knows, but you can probably expect a question about what skills you have which are relevant to the job, you will be asked to expand on your experience, and something about the company (to see if you've done some homework on them...)

What training they offer, what is the potential for promotion. Try not to ask about the salary to eagerly, it make you look like that is all that's important.

Preferably a suit, but casual shirt & tie. Basically what you would wear to a wedding...

Depends on the job you are going for really. Just don't ask the attractive one for a date :D

Good luck...
    Hey. Doubt it’s changed since I had my interview there. Can't remember it all that well but I'll try..

They asked me to give examples of time I had made use of teamwork…Examples of times I’d been part of a team and got something done by communicating as a group. That kinda stuff…I just spoke about some random school project. Not too difficult. Basically just questions about if you like helping people, etc – the usual really from what I remember.

Kinda trickier though you’ll probably be taken onto the shopfloor with the interviewer, they’ll explain this during the interview and you’ll have to go up to a customer and ask them two or three questions. (Questions are up to you). I think I asked someone what they liked about M&S, what their favourite M&S products we re, etc. Sort of daunting just going up to somebody but it worked out for me.

Up to you...As MoK said really. You could ask if overtime will be available (if the branch I worked at is anything to go by there will be lots, so if they think you're up for doing overtime could improve your chances). Saying how much you love M&S food and if there's any staff discount might help too...

That worked for me.

Oops as in the other q.

I hope you get it :) It's a pretty good place to work, the pay is better than Tesco and stuff and the discount is good - 20% esp as their food is lovely...Waste is another bonus working there, food about to go out of date is sold cheap to staff. Good luck!
    Thanks to you both
    If you are still on...
    I am going to uni in september. Shall i mention this? I know it is possible to transfer but dont want to make it sound like i'm only going to have a job at uni.
    My mum said to say that i am going to uni but would be avalible during all ofthe holiday periods.

How did you start up a conversation wit the customer? just go up to someone and say 'excuse me do you mind if i ask you a couple of questions about marks and spenser?'

:)
    stu12 wrote:
    Thanks to you both
    If you are still on...
    I am going to uni in september. Shall i mention this? I know it is possible to transfer but dont want to make it sound like i'm only going to have a job at uni.
    My mum said to say that i am going to uni but would be avalible during all ofthe holiday periods.

How did you start up a conversation wit the customer? just go up to someone and say 'excuse me do you mind if i ask you a couple of questions about marks and spenser?'

:)

I wouldn't mention uni unless they ask you but up to you really. It is pretty easy to transfer between stores I think. Yep, def say about the holiday periods. And that's a perfect approach for going up to the customer ;) Have fun!
    I've worked for M&S on two seperate occassions. They took me on to the shop floor and we walked around for a while. I had to point out things I might notice as a customer. I pointed out displays that weren't tidy, how items were grouped, how accesible staff are etc etc.

I was then taken to the checkouts where I had to help pack bags and as someone has mentioned I had to ask a customer some questions, which was quite scary as I'd never had a job before!

They asked me some basic questions about good customer service and what not.

Questions to ask: uniform requirements, training period, parking arrangements, holiday arrangements, possibility of overtime (makes you look keen!). I've found in all interviews that the more questions you ask the more interested you look.

Good luck.

(My experience of working for M&S both times was atrocious, so I hope if you get the job you are treated better than I was!)
    i got the job. in the cafe! not sure about it but its only weekends until eng of august, so only about 6 or 7 days of work!
    stu12 wrote:
    i got the job. in the cafe! not sure about it but its only weekends until eng of august, so only about 6 or 7 days of work!

Well done. Cafe probably isn't too bad, better than shelves and if it's busy it should go quickly.
    M+S interview-Cafe
    stu12 wrote: »

hey ive got an interview for the cafe tomorrow.just wondering what they asked you and what you had to do,helppp! lol thanks
    Bear in mind this thread is around 6 years old.