Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

How much is too much?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
When I moved up to Scotland after my GCSEs I dropped out of an NC Art School Portfolio Building class and bummed around for a year. I returned to college to do an NC in Graphics, Digital Design and Illustration followed by the HNC and HND.

During these two years I applied to two different art colleges; Foundation year at Edinburgh College of Art during my HNC and direct entry to the Illustration course at Dundee University during the HND. Both my applications were unsuccesful despite my efforts. I spent months trying to improve my portfolio, including three evening classes and doing full-time modules during the day whenever my timetable was free. On viewing my final portfolio my lecturers thought I would handle Dundee no bother and complimented my rapid progress, the fact that one of my lecturers was a former student at the course I was applying to meant so much to me.

Anyway, rejected again and feeling pretty exhausted after my efforts were in vain, I'm putting off university yet again hoping that next year I will be going to Dundee, the institute I have my heart on. I've always wanted to be part of the university community, not just the art school, and I feel this is the best place in Scotland for that. The reputation and quality of the place is tremendous and no where else really lives up to it IMHO.

I just feel like I need to move on and get away from this place now, my part-time job brings in the money but the circumstances are bad and I'm now going to have to commute to Glasgow to do an Advanced Diploma and it will take me one hour and a half to get up there each day for three days a week. I'm also going to be living with my parents until I'm 21 at least!! Any sensible person would just make do and go anywhere and sometimes I think I should just accept defeat and move on. Is it really worth all this aggravation :banghead: ?!
Post edited by JustV on