Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Uni Choices

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I know I'm not going to go to university until 2006 but i have to make a decision more or less in August.

I want to study a Business and Information Management (or equivalent) so I can go on to be a Business Studies and Administration teacher.

I was all set to choose Glasgow Caledonian as my first choice because it had the perfect degree, it was 5 minutes on the bus away etc but now I'm not so sure. A few people I have spoken to says that it's a pretty good uni and others said it isn't that good.

I know that i can go to Open days and things but I thought choosing universities was going to be so easy and that i had lots of time.

I don't even know what the question is that I should be asking you lot :|
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm in the same position as you at the moment with choosing which uni's to apply to.

    You need to consider every aspect of the uni. You can't just base it on other peoples opinions. Read up about the uni. See it's ratings and stuff. Plus, consider everything else. I mean, it is close to you but do you really want to be that close to home? It might help financially but a lot of students would say that going away from home is the best part about attending university.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Strathclyde Uni has a good Business school, have you considered there? And that's just as close by as Caley. What about going away to uni, or are you wanting to stay at home?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i've never heard of glasgow caledonian - I know it sounds stuck up but I'd go for strathclyde - because it has a good reputation and it will be better for getting a job when you finish.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Where you go is MORE important than what you do. I assure you, make sure that you will LIKE where you live for the next 3/4 years.

    That aside, find out what reputation your uni has among employers, for example, there's no point in me spending 4 years studying engineering if my degree isn't acredited, because it means nothing without the acrediation.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Glasgow Caley's Business School is nowhere near as good as Strathclyde's. I would definitely choose there over Caley.

    Caley is an alright uni tbh.

    Have you considered Glasgow Uni or even Edinburgh Uni? I think Edinburgh is a good idea for you as it ain't too far away from Glasgow to get your washing done and a home cooked meal at the weekend, but it is also away from home, living with other people and the likes too.

    Just another suggestion to rock the boat.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sorry folkies, should have mentioned that I've contacted Strathclyde over 3 months ago asking about certain things and they told me that I definately need at least a C in Higher Maths to be accepted; but I'm crap at Maths and would never even like to attempt Higher, I don't even think I've passed Int 2!

    I would prefer to stay at home because yes, it would be cheaper but on the other hand It would be nice to move away from home. I guess I'm just scared of leaving the place I know.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Jazza wrote:
    Sorry folkies, should have mentioned that I've contacted Strathclyde over 3 months ago asking about certain things and they told me that I definately need at least a C in Higher Maths to be accepted; but I'm crap at Maths and would never even like to attempt Higher, I don't even think I've passed Int 2!

    I would prefer to stay at home because yes, it would be cheaper but on the other hand It would be nice to move away from home. I guess I'm just scared of leaving the place I know.

    Edinburgh may require a C in Maths too then. Not sure.

    A friend did Business at Napier and I think it was quite a good course there too.

    You seriously need to think about which you would prefer to do. It *is* a big step to decide to move away for uni, especially when you have unis close by. You need to work out the pros and cons of both. You will need to leave home at some point, you just need to work out when.

    Going to uni is a big step, for everyone. As is leaving home.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What about Paisley?

    Most of their business courses only require you to have Maths at Standard Grade.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What about Paisley?

    Most of their business courses only require you to have Maths at Standard Grade.

    I haven't even given Paisley a thought. I'll check them out :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jazza wrote:
    I know I'm not going to go to university until 2006 but i have to make a decision more or less in August.

    I want to study a Business and Information Management (or equivalent) so I can go on to be a Business Studies and Administration teacher.

    I was all set to choose Glasgow Caledonian as my first choice because it had the perfect degree, it was 5 minutes on the bus away etc but now I'm not so sure. A few people I have spoken to says that it's a pretty good uni and others said it isn't that good.

    I know that i can go to Open days and things but I thought choosing universities was going to be so easy and that i had lots of time.

    I don't even know what the question is that I should be asking you lot :|

    My old Business Management teacher studied at Caledonian. A complete buffoon but good entertainment ;) .

    If you've got the grades, you could try Glasgow or Strathclyde, both have better reputations. Stirling, Edinburgh, Dundee...the choice is yours.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Funnily enough so did mine. She's harmless enough but does like to go off topic when asked questions.

    I can't go to Strathclyde because they require Higher Maths which i just wont do. I looked at the Paisley prospectus which was delivered the other day but still don't like the prospect of travel.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Read up on the places at http://www.unofficial-guides.com.

    Pay particular attention to the comments section on Glasgow Caledonian, it gets a right hammering! That said, I do have a few friends there who love it and it's rapidly climbing up league tables every year.

    As a design student, I was told to avoid it like the plague.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jazza wrote:
    I looked at the Paisley prospectus which was delivered the other day but still don't like the prospect of travel.
    Excuses excuses!

    Get the train from Glasgow Central to Canal Street or Glimour Street in Paisley and then it's just a wee donner up the road :p
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think Edinburgh is a good idea for you as it ain't too far away from Glasgow to get your washing done and a home cooked meal at the weekend, but it is also away from home, living with other people and the likes too.
    I agree :yes:.

    And then, the year after, you'd have me at your Uni too ;p.
Sign In or Register to comment.