Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

changing contraception

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so hello. im on ze pill just now, microgynon 30, but am not v happy with it of late. i have an appalling short-term memory, and keep forgetting to take it, leading to paranoia, unpleasantness, etc, etc

am thinking of switching to the injection. what are fowk's experiences of being on it? it good? any horrid side effects?

or does anyone recommend any other method?

cheers x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if the pill worked well for you, but the only problem you had was with remembering to take it, maybe you could try the patch.

it has the same combined hormones, so people who get on with the combined pill will tend to get on with it. and you only have to remember to change it once a week. and the best part is that if you do get side effects, it's as simple as taking off your patch, and they'll go away really quickly.

if you wander into your GPs, usually the reception people will dig out a whole bunch of leaflets on every conceivable (hehe) contraceptive option, so you can have a good read, and then maybe get an appointment with your doc or nurse for after you've read through, to discuss things.
    kaffrin wrote:
    if you wander into your GPs, usually the reception people will dig out a whole bunch of leaflets on every conceivable (hehe) contraceptive option, so you can have a good read

Alternatively, you can take a look at ours here

;)
    spanner wrote:
    Alternatively, you can take a look at ours here

;)

you always have to go one better, don't you :p
    Im with GWST, i have the mirena coil and i highly reccomend it

although mine wasnt fitted as contraception, i think its great, its fitted and then you dont have to do anything for 5 years, it just sits there in the reproductive tract working all by itself :)

Im also not having any of the side effects i used to get while on the pill

Ive never tried the injection so cant give any advice on that but i would imagine it would have the same types of side effects as the pill as its not localised to the reproductive organs (as GWST said)
    Another rec for the Mirena :yes: