Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pregnant women 'lose their jobs'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Women shouldnt be descriminated against because they want to have a kid then spend some time with it.

However, I can see the point of small companies, the cost to them is comparatively huge and difficult to cope with. These costs should be more taken on by government and not the company.
  • Options
    I think there should be some help for the smaller businesses so they dont have to discriminate like this.
  • Options
    When a married friend of mine went to her medical school interview, she was told that a pregnancy during medical school would not be welcomed or supported. They would even pay any expenses for an abortion.
  • Options
    I think the US Army will pay for something silly like 4 abortions a year for female staff.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    When a married friend of mine went to her medical school interview, she was told that a pregnancy during medical school would not be welcomed or supported. They would even pay any expenses for an abortion.
    harsh!

Ours is a step on, step off course, so theoretically if I got pregnant, i could just rejoin the course the next year with a different intake, but id lose my bursary in the meantime. No maternity pay for student nurses, which I think is unfair, although I think i remember reading about two student midwives who managed to sue for this and won.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I think the US Army will pay for something silly like 4 abortions a year for female staff.
    Really? I didn't know that! I bet it goes down really well with the patriotic Christian Right!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Really? I didn't know that! I bet it goes down really well with the patriotic Christian Right!

I'll check into it, but they definately do pay for abortions, they dont want to loose the staff and it is I know definately more than one a year if the need arrises.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

I suspect the fundamentalists aren't keen on women in the army anyway and them having to have abortions in just supports their prejudices

As an aside funnily enough years ago I was warned by a Minister that women were governed by wild uncontrollable lusts and that a young man in uniform was a magnet for them. The advice actually included cold baths to keep myself pure. I had difficulty keeping a straight face. Especially as I had spent three years in University getting rid of my purity and saw no reason why the Army should change my behaviour...
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Only because they get raped that often.

It's not a surprise. It's why young married women shouldn't wear a wedding ring to a job interview.

Prison for discriminatory bosses should be mandatory. Fines don't work.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Only because they get raped that often.

I hope to God you're going to provide some proof to back up that statement.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

And you dont think that will just harden attitudes?
  • Options

The simplest solution is for fathers to get as much time off as mothers, and for single people to have an alowed 3 months or whatever off after x years service, takable whenever they fancy.

Alternatively, women can realise that it's a choice they have to make and they can't have it both ways. It might not seem fair, but that's life.

oh, and it would have to be a wonderfully loving relationship that would stay together because of tax breaks. :nervous:
  • Options
    women can realise that it's a choice they have to make and they can't have it both ways

If they want it both ways, why shouldn't they?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Alternatively, women can realise that it's a choice they have to make and they can't have it both ways. It might not seem fair, but that's life.

Why can't they?

It's not "just life" after all. If people want pensions they can pay for women to have babies ot pay for them.
  • Options
    If they want it both ways, why shouldn't they?

No reason. I posted an alternative and can come up with many more. How about they work through their pregnancy til they drop and then are back at work a week later?

Why can't employers have it both ways?

Or single people?

How about they get paid lower wages to make up for the time they will be away when they come back until they have repaid there value to their employer?

Or why not pay women three times as much as men because they are worth more if they have kids and need to be secure to do so?

The only thing I would be against in any scenario would be if you were to use force to get your way or to take from me to look after you and yours. But hey, that's the way it is.
  • Options
    Statutory maternity pay is £108 a week. The Government pays for nearly all of this anyway. Arguments about cost are nonsensical.

Bongbudda: I don't know if it would harden attitudes or not. I think in private it may do, but publicly company directors couldn't afford to be discriminatory.
  • Options
    Statutory maternity pay is £108 a week. The Government pays for nearly all of this anyway. Arguments about cost are nonsensical.

1) Where does the government get it's money from? Oh yeah, theft.

2) Do they refund an employer the full value of the lost revenue?
    Bongbudda: I don't know if it would harden attitudes or not. I think in private it may do, but publicly company directors couldn't afford to be discriminatory.

Welcome, token female, I'll have two sugars, cheers love.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    1) Where does the government get it's money from? Oh yeah, theft.

*yawn*
    2) Do they refund an employer the full value of the lost revenue?

What lost revenue?

Besides which, the employer is only entitled to start complaining when the employee takes home the true worth of their labour. Which few, if any, employees do.
    Welcome, token female, I'll have two sugars, cheers love.

Fair point.
  • Options
    *yawn*

I'm sorry, they started to produce and sell goods on a voluntary basis last night while i was sleeping did they? Wow, and nothing in the papers either, imagine that. Possibly they upped there production of goods from fuck all to plenty as well. Who can say. All i know is that yesterday they got all their cash from coercion and fraud.
    What lost revenue?

that which you refer to in -
    Besides which, the employer is only entitled to start complaining when the employee takes home the true worth of their labour. Which few, if any, employees do.

Which is a -
    Fair point.
  • Options
    I think there should be some help for the smaller businesses so they dont have to discriminate like this.
    To be fair, I've worked in small places that have dealt with pregnancy without discriminating. This place employed around two kitchen staff and about five bar staff.
  • Options
    Hypothetical situation:

After your next w/end trip to inebriation you jump in a taxi and tell the female behind the wheel "Take me home,please".On reaching your destination the price on the clock is £X.She says to you "That`ll be £X + (20% of X) please".Initally you respond "Eh?".She explains that she is adding 10% for her (future)holiday and another 10% for her(future) pregnancy.

What is your next reaction?

seeker
  • Options
    the only decent point that I heard from the small company was that it costs in fees to find a replacement (from an agency or through hiring) which the company does not currently get back (unlike other costs). I can see why that would be a bit daunting for a small business which may be existing on tight margins.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

firstly id make paternity and maternity pay equal in size and length so its not just women who are encouraged to take time off

having and bringing up a child properly is a full time thing so anyone who wants a child, and yoyu cant have it both ways though id like to see people who bring up children get more help from the state as its a 'job' that isnt rewarded enough