Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Married couples should get tax breaks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Couldnt agree more, family life should be promoted and anything that helps that along is very welcome imo :)
  • Options
    so staying together for the tax breaks is a good thing?

id encourage tax breaks for families who live together as a whole like in inheritance etc :)
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    Not sure I agree. I've never been a great fan of using the tax system for social engineering because a) it doesn't work and b) it just makes the system more complex and expensivce.

Reduce tax for everyone - not just those of us who are married.
  • Options
    Married couples should get tax breaks, and those tax breaks should only be open to married couples. A stable married family is the best way to raise children, and this should be reflected financially.

The system used to work fine when only married couples got the allowance, and then they changed it. And made it worse.
  • Options
    Although this of course assumes that the "traditional" nuclear family is in fact traditional and the best way to raise kids. It isn't actually either of these things. An extended family, including aunts, uncles, grandparents, friends and people in the local community is more traditional and better IMO. Unfortunately our current political and economic climate encourages individuals over collectives. Which is a massive shame.
  • Options
    My girlfriend and I don't believe in the institution of marriage (for ourselves at least) and will probably never get married. Yet we've been together nearly 7 years (more than can be said of many marriages, I fear) and will hopefully continue to be together for many more to come.

Why should we be discriminated against financially because we do not want to sign any papers "reaffirming" our relationship?

On a tangent note, I hope those who advocate tax breaks for married couples only would allow same-sex marriages to take place... Otherwise they would be unfairly left out.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Although this of course assumes that the "traditional" nuclear family is in fact traditional and the best way to raise kids. It isn't actually either of these things. An extended family, including aunts, uncles, grandparents, friends and people in the local community is more traditional and better IMO. Unfortunately our current political and economic climate encourages individuals over collectives. Which is a massive shame.

I would agree with that. Family caring should be valued, and familial carers (parental, grandparental, etc etc) should be given the kudos that they deserve.

I still think that an extended commnity based on a strong marriage base is the best ideal. An extended family can't take over the role of parenting, but they do enhance it immeasurably.

As for same-sex marriage, I aren't sure. Personally I don't think it should be allowed, but there isn't a conclusive reason for why I think that.
  • Options
    I don't see why marriage should be valued over co-habiting.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    My girlfriend and I don't believe in the institution of marriage (for ourselves at least) and will probably never get married. Yet we've been together nearly 7 years (more than can be said of many marriages, I fear) and will hopefully continue to be together for many more to come.

Why should we be discriminated against financially because we do not want to sign any papers "reaffirming" our relationship?

On a tangent note, I hope those who advocate tax breaks for married couples only would allow same-sex marriages to take place... Otherwise they would be unfairly left out.

Homosexual marriages would deserve the tax reduction IF they could raise children. However, they cannot, and imho rightly so.
  • Options
    Well same sex marriage is legal from the 5th of July and same sex couple can adopt children, or have children through surrogates, sperm donation, etc.
  • Options
    Er... they can.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Well same sex marriage is legal from the 5th of July and same sex couple can adopt children, or have children through surrogates, sperm donation, etc.

Really? Unbelievable. No doubt a lot of very messed-up children will be the result, i didn't know the actual legislative change was for definite.
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Couldnt agree more, family life should be promoted and anything that helps that along is very welcome imo :)

Erm... you do realise that being married doesn't automatically bring kids don't you. I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Also, does "family" include same sex couples, or should they be excluded. If so, why should they be excluded...?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    No doubt a lot of very messed-up children will be the result,

... because we don't have messed-up chlidren from same sex relationships, do we?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Really? Unbelievable. No doubt a lot of very messed-up children will be the result, i didn't know the actual legislative change was for definite.
    What makes you think that children will be "messed up" because of gay parents?

Should we stop mix-raced couples from having children, lest their children are also messed up?

How about children in 'perfect' nuclear families whose parents don't believe in divorce and stay together "for the sake of the children" but spend all their lives arguing (or worse)? Aren't those children going to be messed up?
  • Options
    Of course we have messed up children from same sex marriages. And? Does that mean we should bring in practices which result in even more? Of course not!

Aladdin, the comparison to mixed-race marriages is just nonsense. I don't see how "race" plays a crucial role in the pyschological development and upbringing of a child, but you'd have to be an utter fool to deny the importance of parental gender.

Homosexual couples parenting children is blantantly a bad concept, it simply can't work. Even children adopted as small babies are far more proportionately troubled than naturally-parented children, so to expect homosexuals to be able to adopt children or have them through a surrogate mother is quite a ridiculous experiment which will probably will be disasterous, as homosexual parenting is obviously a far more traumatic/abnormal concept/practice than adoption.

I suspect a lot of people on this forum support gay parenting because it's a novel little concept where everyone is equal, blah blah blah...basically, refusing to accept the exclusion of any one group from a social practice.

Sorry, but the real world doesn't work like that. I support equality for gays in terms of marriage, legal recognition and such like, but I know where to draw the line.

How is a 14 year old boy going to feel having homosexuals as parents? Fucked up beyond belief is surely the answer. His unconscious mind would be completely messed up beyond belief.

This is a seriously worrying situation.

A nuclear family which has split-up still has a mother and a father, btw. The lack of a mother in a homosexual family is going to cause serious pyschological problems for the children.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Of course we have messed up children from same sex marriages.
    Why on earth do you think so? :confused:
    Aladdin, the comparison to mixed-race marriages is just nonsense. I don't see how "race" plays a crucial role in the pyschological development and upbringing of a child, but you'd have to be an utter fool to deny the importance of parental gender.
    I don't see how sexual orientation does either. The only thing that counts regarding to parenting is to bring up the child in a loving and stable environment. The gender of the parents is completely and utterly inconsequential.
    Homosexual couples parenting children is blantantly a bad concept, it simply can't work. Even children adopted as small babies are far more proportionately troubled than naturally-parented children, so to expect homosexuals to be able to adopt children or have them through a surrogate mother is quite a ridiculous experiment which will probably will be disasterous, as homosexual parenting is obviously a far more traumatic/abnormal concept/practice than adoption.
    Why?
    I suspect a lot of people on this forum support gay parenting because it's a novel little concept where everyone is equal, blah blah blah...basically, refusing to accept the exclusion of any one group from a social practice.
    Sorry, but the real world doesn't work like that. I support equality for gays in terms of marriage, legal recognition and such like, but I know where to draw the line.
    Oh dear...
    How is a 14 year old boy going to feel having homosexuals as parents? Fucked up beyond belief is surely the answer. His unconscious mind would be completely messed up beyond belief.
    Bullshit. I know people brought up in a same-sex parent environment. Not only all of them are sound, balanced individuals, but they happen to be a great deal more tolerant and mature than a great many people brought up in nuclear family environments I have come across.

The only children in serious danger of being fucked up and messed up are those brought up in macho, homophobic, violent environments- as it has proven to be the case millions of times over.
    A nuclear family which has split-up still has a mother and a father, btw. The lack of a mother in a homosexual family is going to cause serious pyschological problems for the children.
    Not really...
  • Options
    I don't see how sexual orientation does either. The only thing that counts regarding to parenting is to bring up the child in a loving and stable environment

I couldnt disagree with that statement more. Where would you draw the line there, would you allow a child to have 3 dads? :confused:

A child NEEDS a mother and a father, a woman for the natural care and attention only a mother/child relationship can produce and you cannot get that with a same sex couple.

If same sex couples were meant to have children there would be a natural way it could happen, it cant and Im sure as I can be there is a reason for that.

I pray for any child who is forced into the home of a same sex couple as growing up for them through school etc is going to be a very hard time, all in the name of equality though I suppose :mad:

Dread to think how I would have felt if I went to my first parents evening and all my mates had mum and dad turning up and I had to go along with a pair of men, my daddies :nervous:

Thise kids will have the piss ripped out of them for years and yet still the people who forced it upon them will refuse to take responsibility and instead try and blame it on other peoples intolerance.
  • Options
    Tommo, ignorant people like you once said the same about same-sex relationships.

What you fail to realise, as usual, is that it's the intolerance or those views which perpetuates the myths.
  • Options
    Race has nothing to do with the ability to parent.

The ideal is a man and a woman, married with a large extended family, who love each other a lot.

I didn't realise that the legislative change was for definite, but I don't think homosexual people should be allowed to adopt children or have artificial insemination. I firmly believe that a child needs both male and female elements when growing up, which is why single-parent families are not ideal, but at least single-parenthood is rarely deliberate.

I don't think having two dads or two mums can be good for a child. I don't see why the sensibilities of these people should be rated ahead of the rights of a child. I don't think homosexual people are suitable adoptees, simply because they are homosexual and cannot provide the ideal home.

And no doubt I will be labelled as some homophobic bastard for daring to suggest that gay parenting is not ideal, and should not be encouraged.
  • Options
    Isn't the most important thing that the child is loved?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    :thumb:

the world is too complicated these days for that sort of banter...however simple and imperitive it is...we're all fucked :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Why on earth do you think so? :confused:

That was a typo, should've read heterosexual marriages.
    I don't see how sexual orientation does either. The only thing that counts regarding to parenting is to bring up the child in a loving and stable environment. The gender of the parents is completely and utterly inconsequential.

It's not sexual orientation as such, it's gender. You've got a very shallow understanding of human pyschology, try reading about child pyschology, and especially in relation to adoption. It might provide you with a more accurate perspective.
    Why?

Does it really need to be spelled out? Adoption undoubtedly is a major cause of unconscious trauma. Add homosexual parenting and you've got a disaster.
    Oh dear...

"Oh dear"? Errr...it's not exactly some "far-out" idea. People who have a vested interest in homosexual rights, gender equality and such like are often equipped with a mentality in which complete equality for all social groups is a pivotal notion. There is bigger picture, however.
    Bullshit. I know people brought up in a same-sex parent environment. Not only all of them are sound, balanced individuals, but they happen to be a great deal more tolerant and mature than a great many people brought up in nuclear family environments I have come across.

Isn't homosexual adoption/parenting only being permitted from the 5th of next month onwards? :confused:
    The only children in serious danger of being fucked up and messed up are those brought up in macho, homophobic, violent environments- as it has proven to be the case millions of times over.

Now that's just proposterous. You've really no idea what you're talking about. How do macho and "homophobic" environments pose a serious risk of fucking children up?
    Not really...

Errr...yes, really. You have no grasp on child pyschology if you think bonding with a mother is not a pyschological necessity.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    There are plenty of people who love adoptees without adding to the list.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    There are plenty of people who love adoptees without adding to the list.

Not as many as you might think.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

If a child is parentless, and the only option is homosexual adoption, then i could understand the argument and would probably even give tentative support to the idea.

However, plenty of homosexuals themselves have doubts over gay parentage...there's the issues of fucking up the unconscious mind...humans are naturally parented by a man and a woman, such an environment is critical in a child's development...abnormalities in this regard are obviously going to manifest themselves in terms of confused sexuality, self-image, confidence and a whole plethora of unconscious mental factors.

The nature of homosexual relationships is also cause for concern, in terms of increased levels of split-ups, violence and such like.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    abnormalities in this regard are obviously going to manifest themselves in terms of confused sexuality, self-image, confidence and a whole plethora of unconscious mental factors.

only a drug mind could speak of such things :thumb:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Not as many as you might think.
    Certainly for babies I believe that are more potential adoptors than adoptees. Or at least I remember reading that before.

If your hypothetical situation arises then I would possibly allow it, on a case-by-case basis, on the proviso that a straight couple should always take precedence, should they be suitable.

The instability of a lot of gay relationships would concern me, however.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Certainly for babies I believe that are more potential adoptors than adoptees.

In 2002 approx 3,400 children were adopted, this represented 6% of those waiting. Source: Hansard bottom of page.

More stats

Shameful that some many children do not have a "home".

DFES Stats
    The instability of a lot of gay relationships would concern me, however.

160,000 Divorces in UK, 2003