Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

REVEALED: The Full, Terrifying List of Infomation the ID Cards Will Store

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    The fact that any corporate contractor would be let near the ID scheme terrifies me.

Criminals won't have to go to any lengths to get the crucial data. They could just email EDS and be given it.

If we gave it to EDS they probably wouldn't be efficient enough to give the criminals the right info - probably find they gave out the details of your next door neighbours hamster.
  • Options
    The successful psychopath relies on compliant associates.
    Kermit wrote:
    The thing is I don't expect that the banks would be that fussed about ID cards, certainly if they would be charged money to access the database (which they would). The Register certainly seem dubious about this.

It seems the banks are part of the problem

bongbudda wrote:
    But thats the whole point, data isnt hard to get these days, but usable information is, putting it all in the one place to be used and manipulated is dangerous.

Very dangerous

http://www.politechbot.com/2005/06/30/choicepoint-and-irs/
    klintock wrote:
    They make us easier to track, easier to tax, easier to control and use as a resource. It's all about control and money. They really are scum.

:yes: :yes:

seeker
  • Options
    I truly believe that the state is slowly gaining more power in quite the same way as Tony Benn described on question time.
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    ID cards storing huge amounts of personal data (which, incidentally, would be available to anyone with access to the database, legitimate or not)

Are you sure about that? It is incredibly simple piece of engineering to allow different user rights so that people can only access what they should be able to? I severely doubt everyone with any access to the data has unrestricted access to the data?

I also severely doubt if this is done properly then it will be hacked. Other examples of large scale systems like this are the National Lottery and ATM machines.

Data in one place is dangerous but sometimes also incredibly useful. Things like UK Info Disc are becoming more popular (Electoral role cross referanced with phone book) which could be seen as quite dangerous tools. Still very useful for a lot of people. Could easily be misused though.