Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

REVEALED: The Full, Terrifying List of Infomation the ID Cards Will Store

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tommo has already made the point that our mobiles indicate precisely where we are, and soon our cars will be installed with a chip for road-charging that will show precisely where we've been, the times, etc. so that combined with CCTV, (ours is one of the most extensive systems in the world), will ensure that Big Brother will knows what we're up to.
    I don't remember any debate about the installation of CCTV everywhere? We've got it in town centres, in shops, airports, sports stadia, motorways, etc. I read somewhere that its reckoned if we go out we appear on CCTV on average around 300 times day. More and more of this CCTV is getting linked up under the guise of local crime reduction partnerships.
  • Options
    The point is, as someone has already pointed out, that mobiles are not compulsory. They are also not operated by the state and they can be turned off.
    Just because you don't remember any debate about CCTV, doesn't mean there wasn't any. Your argument doesn't hold here either, as CCTV is not all linked up into one big database.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I did love the way that Charles Clark said he would put a 'cap on the cost of the cards'.

Does that mean if the project runs over it will be cancelled?

No, it means we'll pay for it through our normal taxes.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    No, it means we'll pay for it through our normal taxes.

But surely thats our money too, we either pay for the cards when we get them, or when we get our pay packet, whats the difference?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    But surely thats our money too, we either pay for the cards when we get them, or when we get our pay packet, whats the difference?

Without wishing to be cynical the difference is one is easy to see and one isn't.

You pay direct the £93-£300 cost is easy to see. If the cost goes through taxes it will be swallowed up within your general tax payment and you'll find it difficult to work out how much it costs.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Without wishing to be cynical the difference is one is easy to see and one isn't.

You pay direct the £93-£300 cost is easy to see. If the cost goes through taxes it will be swallowed up within your general tax payment and you'll find it difficult to work out how much it costs.

I can see your point, but in practice it really makes very little odds. I can see the bonus for those who dont work and pay tax of course.

With any luck this will be Labours Poll Tax, though I'm not sure it will be.
  • Options
    Mobile telephones cannot track you to any great detail, they can pin you to the nearest base that your mobile telephone responds to. That can be fifteen miles away up here.

CCTV doesn't monitor people, it monitors places. The CCTV cameras don't have legs.

If ID cards come in then everyone will have one. It will happen, people won't put up with the inconvenience of never being able to leave the country just to make a political point to The Party.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If ID cards come in then everyone will have one. It will happen, people won't put up with the inconvenience of never being able to leave the country just to make a political point to The Party.

It wont be just that, if you only ever use cash then you might be able to get away not having one, but you'd have to have no bank account as well.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    It wont be just that, if you only ever use cash then you might be able to get away not having one, but you'd have to have no bank account as well.
    The thing is I don't expect that the banks would be that fussed about ID cards, certainly if they would be charged money to access the database (which they would). The Register certainly seem dubious about this.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I agree! It's not like they'd care anyway - they'd ignore anyone who claimed they weren't having one, and just stop them from leaving the country. All in all, it wouldn't be the governments loss if you think about it - only the individuals.

I don't know why people get so worried about the amount of information that it contains anyway. With the right tools, the government and any other officals can access all that information anyway. This is just a quicker way of doing it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The thing is I don't expect that the banks would be that fussed about ID cards, certainly if they would be charged money to access the database (which they would). The Register certainly seem dubious about this.

Banks certainly would if you want to open an account.
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    I don't know why people get so worried about the amount of information that it contains anyway. With the right tools, the government and any other officals can access all that information anyway. This is just a quicker way of doing it.

But thats the whole point, data isnt hard to get these days, but usable information is, putting it all in the one place to be used and manipulated is dangerous.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Banks certainly would if you want to open an account.
    Banks already have all the information they need about you, why would they need to pay the Government £30 to confirm your identity?

I don't see banks wanting to pay money to anybody. The government won't give free access to the database.
  • Options
    If you've already got account then yes, I cant see them wanting it, but if you are opening an account I can see them wanting to invest the £30 to make sure.

Plus they could easily be forced to under some money landering law.
  • Options
    If ID cards come in then everyone will have one.

I am not so sure about that. I can't see you getting £90 a head from the gypos for a start, and theres bound to be a large minority of people who put up a fuss of one sort or another. How effective they are is another matter entirely, of course.
    It will happen, people won't put up with the inconvenience of never being able to leave the country just to make a political point to The Party.

Yeah, probably, but so what? I see thin end of the wedge here.
    It wont be just that, if you only ever use cash then you might be able to get away not having one,

Which is why these things are being brought in....soon they will drop paper cash out of the economy altogether and then it'll be full on big brother and control time.

It's funny, I don't have any good reasons not to get one, no argument to put forward that says they are a good or bad thing, I just instinctively don't want one and that's good enough for me. I am my own authority, I don't need or want anyone else looking out for me thank you. I especially don't need or want anyone telling me what I can and can't do either.
  • Options
    ID cards storing huge amounts of personal data (which, incidentally, would be available to anyone with access to the database, legitimate or not)

'Road-pricing' schemes that involve tracking the movements of every vehicle

The highest concentration of CCTV cameras in the world, with facial recognition to follow.

RFID chips.

Senior figures - including the government's own watchdog - expresisng concerns about the creeping surveillance society.

And still there's the usual parade of naive, trusting drones saying 'if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear.' Fucking hell... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I
    It's funny, I don't have any good reasons not to get one, no argument to put forward that says they are a good or bad thing, I just instinctively don't want one and that's good enough for me. I am my own authority, I don't need or want anyone else looking out for me thank you. I especially don't need or want anyone telling me what I can and can't do either.

I feel exactly the same. Until someone can tell me why we need them, my opinion won't change. I have a passport, will soon have a driving license, I don't need or want anymore forms of ID.

If you want to check who I am, and you have a valid reason for doing so, I'll show you my fucking passport.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    The point is, as someone has already pointed out, that mobiles are not compulsory. They are also not operated by the state and they can be turned off.
    I was told that even if a mobile is turned off it still emits a signal.
    Just because you don't remember any debate about CCTV, doesn't mean there wasn't any. Your argument doesn't hold here either, as CCTV is not all linked up into one big database.
    But that is precisely what CCTV is working towards through the government-encouraged local crime reduction partnerships. All will be able to share information from a shared database.
  • Options
    Hidrick wrote:
    I was told that even if a mobile is turned off it still emits a signal.

Well you were told wrong.
    Hidrick wrote:
    But that is precisely what CCTV is working towards through the government-encouraged local crime reduction partnerships. All will be able to share information from a shared database.

What? All CCTV? Government and private?
  • Options
    I dread to think whats Blagsta does in his own time that he hates ID cards so much ;)
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    I dread to think whats Blagsta does in his own time that he hates ID cards so much ;)

I dread to think why the Govt thinks that he needs one...

Please, I would love someone someday to explain to me exactly what ID cards will achieve. What actual benefit will they bring to our everyday life, how will they prevent crime/terrorism etc...?
  • Options
    I dread to think why the Govt thinks that he needs one...

They make us easier to track, easier to tax, easier to control and use as a resource. It's all about control and money. They really are scum.
    What actual benefit will they bring to our everyday life, how will they prevent crime/terrorism etc...?

Insert media spin here.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    They make us easier to track, easier to tax, easier to control and use as a resource. It's all about control and money. They really are scum.

Indeed
    Insert media spin here.

Which could be interesting. Even the Sun are anti-ID cards, if I read it correctly yesterday...
  • Options
    and it wont stop organised crime which is the new official reason, since that often involves the manipulation of company accounts and expenses etc
  • Options
    Please, I would love someone someday to explain to me exactly what ID cards will achieve. What actual benefit will they bring to our everyday life, how will they prevent crime/terrorism etc...?

It will have no impact upon terrorism at all (see Spain)

It potentially could help in ID theft and some types of fraud, though given how much money is at stake (about £1m a day) I doubt the criminals will be beaten for long.
  • Options
    To be fair I don't think there any great 1984 type plan with ID cards. Its more that as soon as the Government suggested them, without any deep thought about what there uses were or what they could do, people started shouting against them.

The Government then feels duty-bound to defend its idea and before you know it is stuck with a really crap idea, but which it would be embarrassing to drop.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    It will have no impact upon terrorism at all (see Spain)

It potentially could help in ID theft and some types of fraud, though given how much money is at stake (about £1m a day) I doubt the criminals will be beaten for long.

someone will hack the database which will be valuable, and some people will fake the cards, and http://www.contractoruk.com/news/002165.html probably will get the contract, who are well known for their 'quality' it installations

theres easier ways of preventing id theft, like shredding ur documents before binning them, and actually checking ur credit card in case someone made a copy of it.....

ive been a victim of id theft, someone tried getting loans in my name however we put a stop to that and my names been flagged on credit status databases

and 1 day they will put dna onto it i assure you, what happens if insurance companies want that?
  • Options
    someone will hack the database which will be valuable, and some people will fake the cards, and http://www.contractoruk.com/news/002165.html probably will get the contract, who are well known for their 'quality' it installations

Well yes, there is that. I was assuming that the card actually worked and was secure, if it was then it could help prevent some fraud.
  • Options
    The fact that any corporate contractor would be let near the ID scheme terrifies me.

Criminals won't have to go to any lengths to get the crucial data. They could just email EDS and be given it.
  • Options
    Come on Kermit, now you are just looking for problems, everyone knows big government computer systems are excellent, look at the Tax Credit system.