Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Dissertation Anxiety

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi There,
I've just completed the second year of my degree and have submitted my dissertation proposal, the final deadline for the dissertation is Jan 2006. However, I am finding the whole thing extremely stressful, I keep worrying I am doing the wrong topic, that I should be doing something better and that it's not going to be very good. I have never been this stressed during my degree. The professor that is going to be my advisor thinks it is a good topic, but other people I have spoken to are more sceptical. I'm starting to feel like a failure...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    First of all. What is your degree discipline and what is the subject and your title for the dissertation and we'll take it from there.
    embers i've just finished my dissertation, so i know how you feel. In the end i did just over 17000 words for it. I thought i'd never be able to do it, but with the help of a few very good research books i got through it in the end. I had a high B for it too! If i can do it i'm sure you can too, just set yourself targets and get a little bit done every day, that way it won't seem like such a lot of work. Good luck.
    I too have just completed my degree and found my dissertation totally the single most gruelling piece of work ever, but the work paid off and i got 80 (a 1st). What you have to think is well you have a topic, now how are you going to make it work, don't think what if I had chosen something better, there is no point as you have chosen your work now and that is what you will have to stick with.

Have a look at some electronic journal articles and find out some historical background knowledge, if you have a clearer picture of what it is that you are trying to do in your mind then i'm sure your anxieties will start fading away. Maybe try and approach the subject from a new angle. Think how you can make it interesting and important, if your lecturer is satisfied that it is fine, then you really have nothing to worry about. They would not let you do an unresearchable piece of work, or something that has no promise of good results.

This is your work and it will be what you make of it. Also, I was very panicky about my dissertation until I had completed my introduction and literature review section after that it was fine as I had a really clear structure and lots of resources to back my work up with and it was clear in my mind what i was doing finally! Last thing make use of your tutor as his advice will be the most relevant. Good Luck!
    Thank you so much for your advice guys, it has really really put my mind at ease, I'm starting to take it on board and stop worrying so much about it. Thanks again.
    Hi..I'm another one who was seriously stressed over the evil D word. I kept putting it off, changed my topic several times, cried about it, dreamt about it, and didn't start until 2 months before the due date. Once I got going though, I sort of enjoyed the challenge, and handing it in was the best feeling of the world. It's quite an achievement to write such a lengthy piece of work.

It's very important to choose something you are interested in. Also be honest with your supervisor, don't put off going to see them.

I found it very helpful to look at dissertations from previous years to see the structure. Good luck.
    dissertations are stressful for everyone. thing is, is just to take it one step at a time... or at least that is what i keep saying to myself and i'm already stressing out over myn. it does seem a daunting task, an overwhelming task... but you're in no different a boat than anyone else. - it might help to keep reminding yourself of that.