Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Age For Tattoo's??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey Hey,
I was just wondering, what is the legal age to get a tattoo in the UK? Can you get one at 16 if you have parental consent or whatever...I'm thinking of getting one, a few people I know who are under 16 have them, but ive heard you have to be 18?!
Thanks!
N@ x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's 18 legally, but some places let you get it done at 16 with your parent's permission.

And any tatooist who tattoo's anyone under this age should be avoided imo
    Blah wrote:

And any tatooist who tattoo's anyone under this age should be avoided imo

definitely.

if they break the rules on legal age, they'll most likely break the rules on other things, such as hygeine, which is REALLY not what you want.

also, i almost guarantee that what you think looks cool at 16 will be what you think looks cool in 10 years time. oopsie for permanence.
    Thanks,
    About the not thinking it will be cool in 10 years time thing..that doesnt really bother me cuz i wasnt planning on getting it where it is often visible anyway, and it was only something small and personal to me, but thanks anyway and i know what you mean.=D
    yeah tis 18 - here's our factsheet
    well, if you can hold off til you're 18, and then on your 18th birthday, you still like the design, and you still want it, then there's a good chance you won't regret it.

spur of the moment things are never a good idea. especially when they're on your skin for life.
    I know a girl who got one at the age of 14. :shocking: 14!!! :shocking:

I could never get one!! :no: :no: :no:
    15??

im onli 15 and i was wondering if any one no's a place in essex, and you can get it done at 15 wiv your parents consent????
    :heart:
    !!emz!! wrote:
    im onli 15 and i was wondering if any one no's a place in essex, and you can get it done at 15 wiv your parents consent????
    :heart:
    Are you unable to read?
    Kermit wrote:
    Are you unable to read?

If the quality of their writing is anything to go by, I'd say they were.
    ermm yea i can read, i no people have sed its sixteen, but i was wondering if you can do it at 15 as well.
    You obviously can't read. It is illegal to have a tattoo under the age of 18. So you can't have one at 16.
    are u lyk jst completely not seeing what i rote? i sed can u get it at 15 cos sum places let u have it at 16 if u have parents consent do they let u ave it at 15 as well with parents constent? or do u jst have to say ur sixteen?
    !!emz!! wrote:
    are u lyk jst completely not seeing what i rote? i sed can u get it at 15 cos sum places let u have it at 16 if u have parents consent do they let u ave it at 15 as well with parents constent? or do u jst have to say ur sixteen?

I can see perfectly well what you wrote, understanding it is the problem. Places that let people under 18 have tatoos are breaking the law, whether they have the parents consent or not. You have to be 18, anywhere that would break the law about that, like kaffrin said, would probably have no qualms about breaking other laws, such as hygiene ones.
    i know places that do it underage, and i no they are not the cleanest of places, any respectable place would ask 4 ID. I'd advise 2 wait till your 18, like most people have said.
    A few of my mates have them done, and they all lied and said they were 18 to get them done.
    Thats not a go out and lie and say your 18 thing btw, i was just saying.
    One of my mates also went in with her mum a few months back (shes 17) and got refused.
    Any reputable place will insist on seeing I.D, they asked me for some and I'm 21, they even asked my mate who looks atleast 35...
    well...

I'm 15, and i've been thinking about getting a tattoo for about a year. i've looked up the legal stuff, and it's 18. i have been advised not to get a tattoo under this age, because there has to be a reason why it is 18. i'm prepared to wait, and i'm definate i will get the tats i want, because i've drawn them with eyeliner, and i've had so many people tell me how good it looks. i've even had 'is that real?' so if its just a black one you want, i suggest you draw it with eyeliner, this way you can also see if it looks good or not.
    i hope this helps a bit
    :heart: Kat
    xxx
    Your 2 years to late to give any sort of advice I'm afraid.
    hello i was just looking up the age you have 2 be 4 a tattoo n i seen dis i dnt think that you should be 18 2 av a tattoo i have been talking 2 a lot ov parent about geting 1 as every 1 noes i wnt 1 realy bad n they all think the same if your mum and dad say u can then y not its best doing it dat way dan behind der bk like all my mates have done gone sum wer n ad it don ewid out der mums being der 2 see if its clean n dat i have a friend dat is 17 n has 3 tattoos n der all got sumthing 2 do wid her so i dnt think she will regret any dem my friend dats 24 had her first tattoo when she was 15 n she still loves it now i cnt see da big deal ov y you need 2 be 18 if u wnt 1 den u wnt 1 its 1 dem things xxxxxxxx:yippe:
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Makoto wrote: »
    Your 2 years to late to give any sort of advice I'm afraid.

Yes. Time to close this methinks.
This discussion has been closed.