Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The greatest rock band in the World?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Infinite wrote:
    Behave yourself! You might not dig him but there was no need for that :p

No. The man can no more play guitar than John Prescott can round up sheep.
    No. The man can no more play guitar than John Prescott can round up sheep.

Then Prezzie better break out the shepherd's crook as Richie is a great player.

Although, that is based on his solo albums, as opposed to Bon Jovi releases.....ermm...carry on the Jovi bashing........
    Where are The Ramones, The Cure, The Clash? :(
    Where are The Ramones, The Cure, The Clash? :(

The Cure weren't that good so that's why they're not there.

The Ramones and the Clash on the other hand. Hmm. We need Perry Mason.
    oooohh, i love loadsa them, but the band ive loved for the longest is, ahem, linkin park. i have an unhealthy obsession with chester :thumb:
    oooohh, i love loadsa them, but the band ive loved for the longest is, ahem, linkin park. i have an unhealthy obsession with chester :thumb:

Ha.

Ahahahahaha.

Haha. Ahem.

Hahahahahahahahaha.
    Ha.

Ahahahahaha.

Haha. Ahem.

Hahahahahahahahaha.
    Don't be mean :p.
    Don't be mean :p.

Why not?

Linkin park are quite clearly on the same musical level as Milli Vanilli.
    C'mon now, you're giving them too much credit.

They have about as much musical abilty as one of my farts. At least my farts can be funny.
    I fuckin hate Linkin Park,,

Regarding the original question at the moment

The White Stripes
    C'mon now, you're giving them too much credit.

They have about as much musical abilty as one of my farts. At least my farts can be funny.
    I know that.

HOWEVER you still shouldn't be mean :p. Being mean to stargalaxy and Hellfire is acceptable, being mean anyone else is just not very nice :p. Poor little newbie ;(.
    As soon as people stop being idiots or assholes, I will stop being 'mean'. Until then...:D
    It's not her fault she likes Linkin Park, though, REALLY. And she was ashamed of it :p.

You just enjoy being an arsehole really, aren't you :p?
    I just don't beat around the bush :p
    I'll take that as a yes, then ;p.
    The White Stripes

No, the question was the best rock band, not the most overhyped waste of oxygen evah rock band.

The best rock band, you can't look further than The Who. They're about nine squillion years old now, but Pete Townshend will still play just about anyone you care to mention off the stage.
    Kermit wrote:
    No, the question was the best rock band, not the most overhyped waste of oxygen evah rock band.

The best rock band, you can't look further than The Who. They're about nine squillion years old now, but Pete Townshend will still play just about anyone you care to mention off the stage.

Well said Kermito. The Who rock my socks so hard. Anyone else hear that Mike Myers is going to play Keith Moon in an upcoming film?
    It's not her fault she likes Linkin Park, though, REALLY. And she was ashamed of it :p.

You just enjoy being an arsehole really, aren't you :p?

I'm sure he does. Just like me. Come on and join the club! We've got jackets!
    Well I personally think, Offspring and Fall Out Boy are the best. :thumb:

You can laugh if you want, I dont care. :nervous:
    I'm sure he does. Just like me. Come on and join the club! We've got jackets!
    What kind of jackets? Are they nice jackets?
    What kind of jackets? Are they nice jackets?

Jackets that piss people off. With loads of Nazi memorabilia on them.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Jackets that piss people off. With loads of Nazi memorabilia on them.
    *Joins club*
    Ace. As. Tits.

I want one with spikes and a large Eagle, obviously.
    Kermit wrote:

The White Stripes are good, I saw them at Glastonbury they were the best act there.

I was thinking currently, besides the Who arnt as good as led Zepalin
    The Cure weren't that good so that's why they're not there.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    The White Stripes are good, I saw them at Glastonbury they were the best act there.

The White Stripes are hopelessly overhyped, they can't hold a note, they can't play a guitar with any emotion, and they can't drum a simple 4/4 beat.

But they are better than most shite that passes as "rock" these days. Most "rock" bands now couldn't rock their way out of a wet paper bag.
    besides the Who arnt as good as led Zepalin

:lol:

Led Zep are very very good, or more accurately, they were. Live Aid kinda ruined the reputation of them, though. The Who rock more than most bands, Jon Entwhistle played a bass like most people play guitar, and had the ultimate rock-and-roll death to boot. The only guitarists who come close to Townshend were Hendrix and Clapton.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Lynyard Skynyard yet. Anyone who calls themselves a rocker should have Freebird in their record collection.
    Kermit wrote:
    The Who rock more than most bands, Jon Entwhistle played a bass like most people play guitar, and had the ultimate rock-and-roll death to boot. The only guitarists who come close to Townshend were Hendrix and Clapton.

That is very true, it was really obvious that The Who pissed considerably on all the other rock groups at Live 8 for energy.
    bongbudda wrote:
    That is very true, it was really obvious that The Who pissed considerably on all the other rock groups at Live 8 for energy.

The Who shat on everyone at Live 8, even Floyd. They were just mesmerising to watch. Watching Daltrey fire out those notes was incredible.

As an aside, does anyone else think that people feel compelled to say they like ' pedestal' bands? Being a rock fan I feel like I should love bands Queen, The Doors, The Clash and The Ramones. I don't. I can't fucking stand any of them. Everyone I speak to loves them, which is fair enough, but I feel like a vast majority of people only say they like bands like that so that they don't feel out of place.

I'm not saying everyone is like that, but I've met a fair few people who I would say are. It pisses me off so fucking much.
    Kermit wrote:
    The White Stripes are hopelessly overhyped, they can't hold a note, they can't play a guitar with any emotion, and they can't drum a simple 4/4 beat.

But they are better than most shite that passes as "rock" these days. Most "rock" bands now couldn't rock their way out of a wet paper bag.

:lol:

Led Zep are very very good, or more accurately, they were. Live Aid kinda ruined the reputation of them, though. The Who rock more than most bands, Jon Entwhistle played a bass like most people play guitar, and had the ultimate rock-and-roll death to boot. The only guitarists who come close to Townshend were Hendrix and Clapton.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Lynyard Skynyard yet. Anyone who calls themselves a rocker should have Freebird in their record collection.

The white stripes are better than your giving them credit for, its the simplicity of the songs which in a way makes them good, I was never a big fan untill I heard their "doorbell" song which I think is brilliant so simple yet so good, (Bob Dylan is the same but in no way am I compairing them)

And they were a very good live act at glastonbury, yes simple beats but does that make them bad no, and Im not realy sure what you mean by playing a guitar with emotion, but they seemed to have emotion when I saw them.

So Jimi Hendrix comes close to Pete Townsend as a Guitarist does he,

Meaning that you think Townsend is better,,,,,,no way.
    The White Stripes write catchy songs, but that doesn't always mean they're good. They have a couple of good tracks, but that's it.

Their song structure is shit. It is as follows;

Write cathy yet piss easy to play riff
    Half assed drum beat in the background
    Repeat x4
    Slow it down a bit
    Repeat x2
    Speed it up a wee it
    Repeat x2
    The White Stripes write catchy songs, but that doesn't always mean they're good. They have a couple of good tracks, but that's it.

Their song structure is shit. It is as follows;

Write cathy yet piss easy to play riff
    Half assed drum beat in the background
    Repeat x4
    Slow it down a bit
    Repeat x2
    Speed it up a wee it
    Repeat x2

Yes technicaly that might be correct, Im not musically knowledgable,

But shorly that dosnt make them bad, I dont analyse the structure of the songs I just listen to them,

How many other artists have similer basic styles but are good what about the lou Read album Transformer, Iv heard that most of the songs are so easy to play and simple yet its still very good.

Other bands have shit songs that are very intricate, yet still veryshit.