Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Us congress passes flag burning bill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4122814.stm

land of freedom of speech + freedom of belief my arse...... its so scary someone burning a flag :banghead:

hopefully the senate and more than 13 states dont ratify thus not making it a valid constitutional stage

Comments

• Options
    What's wrong with it?

In Denmark it is illegal for the Danish flag to be placed on the floor - I can't see how this move blocks free speech, as free speech is already limited.
  • Options
    is it still ok for the president to lie?
  • Options
    This isnt an issue.

If they were outlawing the Freedom of the Press or closing down the TV networks then there would be something to worry about.

As it stands nobody burns the flag anyway in the US, so this really isnt a case of the government removing freedom of speech.

Blairs law against incitement to religious hatred, on the other hand...
  • Options
    Nice editing by the BBC...
    Similar moves in the past have failed to gather the three-thirds majority required for constitutional amendments in both houses of the US Congress.

Hello!, THREE-thirds isn't a majority (let alone even a requirment), that would be known as unanimity.

Try TWO-thirds.
  • Options
    This isnt an issue.

If they were outlawing the Freedom of the Press or closing down the TV networks then there would be something to worry about.

:eek: do you not keep up with events?
  • Options
    How have they been doing any of that?
  • Options
    Once again mat demonstrates his lack of comprehension for the danger signs of incremental entrenchment of tyrannical mechanisms of control and repression.

People DO burn the flag, contrary to your wishful presumptuous illusions, and far worse in rightful protest and dissent against symbols of federal disregard for the rights of US citizens as well as in solidarity with its countless victims around the globe.

Any government billing itself as the champion of liberty which so overwhelmingly demonstrates ideology-inspired circumscription of the principles enshrined in the 1st Amendment, indentifies itself as duplicitous and capable of far greater circumscription of said liberties if not stopped.

Added to other measures such as the un-Patriotic Act, The Real ID Act and other more underhanded power grabbing mechanisms hidden within otherwise innocuous sounding legislation, which have already passed into law, the facets of fascist resurgence are falling into place whilst smug, self-assured "it can't happen here" types happily buy into the diversionary rhetoric and PRopaganda.

When they wake up to realise that none of their once cherished Constitutional safeguards have been left unviolated, for the greater profit of the elite few of course, they'll have only themselves to blame for refusing to heed the lessons of history.

Not even the right of citizens to be secure in their own homes and property is upheld by this corrupt, corporate-owned and corporate-serving Federal mockery of our founding fathers' design...

Supreme Court Backs Forced Sale of Private Property

Funny how when Mugabe bulldozes houses he's an evil despot, yet do we hear any cry of despotism aimed at Washington? Nothing like the indoctrination of compliant media to keep the false brand image of the "land of the free" resounding from mouthpieces like mat.
  • Options
    How have they been doing any of that?

should someone who burns a flag in america be done for a criminal offence? all i'm asking?

and jaq, yes in europe we tend to not actually have freedom of speech in our constitutions, yet in america they actually do
  • Options

Supreme Court Backs Forced Sale of Private Property

Funny how when Mugabe bulldozes houses he's an evil despot, yet do we hear any cry of despotism aimed at Washington? Nothing like the indoctrination of compliant media to keep the false brand image of the "land of the free" resounding from mouthpieces like mat.

can someone say how this isnt the same as what mugabe is doing?
  • Options
    Fucks sake!

It's cloth and colour!!

I wish they had built a system around the ideals of getting your head out of your arse and thinking in a straight line. :(
    is it still ok for the president to lie?

Well, it never stopped em before. :yes:
    can someone say how this isnt the same as what mugabe is doing?

The difference, such as it is, is that Mugabe is a dictator, that is he hasn't bothered to fool over half the population, he has just gone for the power. The (insert imaginary body based on geographical location here) let you have a say once every 5 years or so and that makes it okay to take all your stuff and put you in a cell. :confused:
  • Options
    lol, it's cute how the Congress thinks it'll make a shits worth of difference.
  • Options
    BB wrote:
    It gathered political momentum in the wake of the 11 September 2001 attacks on the US.

"Ask the men and women who stood on top of the World Trade Center," said Republican Randy Cunningham, a Californian congressman.

"Ask them and they will tell you - pass this amendment"

What a joke. Does America have no decency? You can't put words into dead men's mouths (or women), it's immoral and wrong. But anyway.

This issue doesn't seem to be important at all really, it's like in the UK you're not allowed to deface an image of the queen - but even if the police caught you doing it, as long as it wasn't someone elses property I don't think they'd give two shits. Then again, the Police are a bit more retarded in America, so if they see someone burning a flag, they'll call the riot squad, break open the tear gas etc. etc.
  • Options
    in america they would enforce it though....
  • Options
    *MrG passes the congress burnig bill*

see how that wasnt a waste of time and made something good and constructive for the world to use
  • Options
    I hate flag burning rallies, fucking pisses me off when I see a bunch of dickless sum bags burning the U.S. flag. :mad:

But as much as I hate people burning the flag, I recognize their right to do it. The congress is way out of line.
  • Options
    I hate flag burning rallies, fucking pisses me off when I see a bunch of dickless sum bags burning the U.S. flag. :mad:

But as much as I hate people burning the flag, I recognize their right to do it. The congress is way out of line.

Why do you hate people burning the flag? Your flag symbolises the most hypocritical, murderous and terroristic nation on the planet since the fall of Nazism and the Soviet Communism.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

Exactally.

I wonder if they would arrest people burning, say, the Iraqi flag?
  • Options
    Your flag symbolises the most hypocritical, murderous and terroristic nation on the planet since the fall of Nazism and the Soviet Communism.

You're an idiot.
  • Options
    You're an idiot.
    you need to look in the mirror!
    what a shock idiots like you are in for ...very soon me thinks.
  • Options
    what a shock idiots like you are in for ...very soon me thinks

True. :(

Lots of folk can see the shit coming down the river but no one seems to be doing anything or even think anything can be done.
  • Options
    Its fucking ridiculous to compare the US to the Nazis or the Soviets.

Absolute nonsense.
  • Options

Why?

They can only be any good in comparison to something else for a start.

Secondly, the major diference is their actions at home. As far as foreign policy is concerned the "US" is worse than either of the other two.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    *ahem*

Axis of Evil list. And what the HELL is it with you and saying two things cannot be compared?

I mean, it isn't like the US Government has an Axis of Evil list which, if they invaded those countries, would give them practical control of the world after they installed thier puppet governemnts?

But, you can't even fix Iraq. So I daresay we are very safe. So much for hte Hi Tech US Army.
  • Options

Absolute nonsense.

Nonsense perhaps, but you can compare the statistics. It would be interesting to see a list of the amount people killed by a country (it's armies and executions) per year since 1900 in a line graph. Then a cumulative frequency graph. Interesting, anyway.

Another note: it's interesting that congrass in America is spending time debating flag burning whilst people are still dying in Iraq, a country they occupy, or if they decide to think about the world other than themselves, Africa would be a start. Maybe it should be mandatory to give US senators geography / cultural lessons so that they learn that the world is made up of more than America.
  • Options

Absolute nonsense.

You said this in another thread, "you cannot compare the US..."

Again, I ask you to point our the differences...
  • Options
    People who criticised Hitler or Stalin - short life expectancy. People who criticise Bush make millions from the film and book.

Hitler -anti Jewish race laws. Bush first ever Hispanic speaking President.

Invasion of Poland leads to Katyn Forest and approximately 3 million dead Poles. No free elections until over fifty years later. Invasion of Iraq does not lead to mass executions by US troops and democratic elections just over a year later.

And I could go on and on.

The US may not be perfect, but to compare it to either Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia suggests a moral compass which is badly aligned.
  • Options
    Stalin killed at least 25 million Russians.

Mao killed upwards of 70 million Chinese peasents.

Hitler, well, we all know what Hitler did.

To compare the US to those monsters is insulting, not only to America, but to the countless millions that the extremes of both Left and Right slaughtered.
  • Options
    How many people have the US killed in the past 50 years? How many countries have they invaded? How many murderous regimes have they propped up? How many arms have they provided?
  • Options
    Certainly not as many as Mao and Stalin, those heroes of the Left.
  • Options
    Certainly not as many as Mao and Stalin, those heroes of the Left.

(a) how do you know
    (b) I don't know anyone who has Stalin or Mao as heroes