Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hurrah for the Co-op Bank!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Aye, good for the Co-op bank.

Unfortunately, they have given those wankers at 'Christian' Voice yet another slide of free publicity, but then maybe that isn't a bad thing. Give 'em enough rope, and all that...

Christian Voice's website is worth a look, not because there's anything good about it, but because it's an interesting insight into just how bonkers some people are. They're the nearest thing we've got to the deep south baptists and godhatesfags.com...
  • Options
    Well the bank is free to not do business with anyone whose beliefs it doesn't like, and presumably we can assume the bank doesn't believe in religious freedom.
  • Options
    Eh? :confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Eh? :confused:
    ....and likewise not do business with them, if we don't like their beliefs. :)
  • Options
    You're not making any sense.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You're not making any sense.
    I know better than to waste time talking to you. :wave:
  • Options
    No, still not making any sense. I'm asking you to explain what you mean by "we can assume the bank doesn't believe in religious freedom."
  • Options
    The Co-Op as a whole currently has a big drive to support and understand diversity. Or so says the Co- Op "grapevine" employees magazine.
  • Options
    ....and likewise not do business with them, if we don't like their beliefs. :)

:confused:

Are you forced to do business with them then? If not, this is a crass comment.
  • Options
    If you think homophobia is acceptable then go and find a bank who shares your views.

And preferably fall under a bus on the way there.
  • Options
    I heard this on radio 4 this morning.

I thought the bloke from Christian Voice was rather disturbing, whilst the Co-op director seemed alright (first time I'll say that about a director of a bank!).
  • Options
    The problem with this is, yet again, this odious waste of oxygen can claim to be a martyr.

It's a fine line between breaking the necks of these toxic spillages and making them into martyrs.
  • Options
    Can I just point out that this can be written off as a cute gesture by the co-op. Are they going to cancel the accounts of every racist/sexist/homophobic/whatever client whether corperation or individual? Didn't think so.
  • Options
    I'd hope that they would take a stand against any organisation that promoted hatred of homosexuals, yes.
  • Options
    Why does it matter more that it is an organisation and not an individual? Why does it matter more that they are homophobic and not sexist?

It's nothing more than a cute gesture.
  • Options
    Why does it matter? I'd have thought that was obvious - an organisation like Christian Voice actively promotes hatred against homosexuals, they have a lot more power and influence than an individual. If they were promoting hatred against women, I'd hope that the co-op bank would take a similar stand.
  • Options
    It's all very well saying that you'd hope, but would it actually happen?
  • Options
    I have no idea, I don't work for the co-op bank.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Can I just point out that this can be written off as a cute gesture by the co-op. Are they going to cancel the accounts of every racist/sexist/homophobic/whatever client whether corperation or individual? Didn't think so.

Well now that you mention it:

Co-Op turns away "unethical" business
  • Options
    Will they be taking the same kind of action against Muslim groups which have an 'intolerant' attitude towards homosexuality?
  • Options
    Given that muslims don't believe in usury and interest, I suspect your great Muslim boogeymen wouldn't be seeking to open an account with the Co-op in the first place. At any rate, I doubt your uptight little world would be any brighter if the Co-op did refuse Muslims.
  • Options
    What 'uptight' little world?

What are you on about? Its a perfectly reasonable question.
  • Options
    Will they be taking the same kind of action against Muslim groups which have an 'intolerant' attitude towards homosexuality?

If they are publicly promoting such attitudes, I'd hope so. Why don't you email them and ask them?
  • Options
    Whatever colour, creed or religion the people are, the act is that the Co-Operative Bank has an ethical policy it has to stand by. These people are effectively promoting an oppressive regime of sorts and this goes against what Co-Op stand for...

It's sad because people like Christian Voice only give Christianity a bad name.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Good decision on their part.

Would you let an Islamist group preaching hatred bank with you? No. The press would go mad, but if its Christians... I daresay the BNP will be on this one soon.
  • Options

they probably would, most muslim groups dont go round spouting how much they hate gays like this these fellow evangelicals
    "AIDS is the wrath of a just God against homosexuals. To oppose it would be like an Israelite jumping in the Red Sea to save one of Pharoah's chariotters.

the point is almost all muslims i know dislike homosexuals, however they still see it as some living life in their way, stranfely how christianity is suppoesed to work....
  • Options
    since when were banks expected to lead the way in morality etc?
    not sure i like it.
  • Options
  • Options

Hopefully, yes. The same goes any other religious (or non-religious) group.
  • Options