Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Armed Forces admit sex harrassment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nazi feminist bitch!
    i think that the fact that women are outnumbered is what probably leads these men to go on some super-ego power trip and they think they'll get away with it...
    Harrasment - no that's unacceptable.

Discrimination - well, in a military context, I think it can be acceptable.

OK, before you shout at me hear me out.

I'm sure there are women who could put up with the rigours of the infantry, and have the same levels of fitness and agression. However, most of the evidence shows that putting women into a fighting infantry section reduces combat effectiveness. And whether you like it or not closing and killing the enemy is the prime role of the infantry. If you reduce their effectiveness at the very best you get people killed uneccessarily and at the worst, you loose wars and potentially our whole way of life.

There's other reasons as well. That's not to say there are no roles in the military for women, but even in this day and age I think some roles should remain male only.
    INteresting, then, that several eminent ex-US military personnel completely dispute the idea that women are unable to kill. Often they are more ferocious fighters than the men, they just don't rape their opponents.
    I don't disagree that women are able to kill. At least some of them are able to do.

However, most experts in the field do feel it wrecks small unit dynamics.
    Kermit wrote:
    INteresting, then, that several eminent ex-US military personnel completely dispute the idea that women are unable to kill. Often they are more ferocious fighters than the men, they just don't rape their opponents.

they cut of the testicles instead and pull hair :thumb:

uncalled for but legally a woman cant commit rape anyway
    NQA wrote:
    I don't disagree that women are able to kill. At least some of them are able to do.

However, most experts in the field do feel it wrecks small unit dynamics.

ie from a brotherhood as such to well a non-brotherhood

my mates in the navy and shes agrees with me in terms of infantry soldiers
    Didn't Russia use frontline female troops in world war 2
    Jim V wrote:

not to my knowledge, after they did, but i think thats partially due to the fact a quarter fo their population got killed off in the 2ndworld war
    Jim V wrote:

Yes, known a vicious fighters who cuts balls off and pulled hair ;)

Okay, not the hair part
    Kermit wrote:
    Nazi feminist bitch!

I think the favoured expression on these boards was "Feminazi"
    Is there anyone on here that thinks it's acceptable to discriminate against women?

I suspect that Born Slippy might fit that criteria ;)
    I can't understand why so many men feel as though they can get away with this kind of behaviour, and I can't believe that on the whole, they do.

I'm not sure that the Army really reflects the male populations as a whole and certainly the officer corps doesn't.

Which would be really valid if this kind of discrimination didn't happen in other sectors of the country. Sadly there are some men who either do not see it as harrassment or discrimination, or actually are mysogynists.
    Most of the Soviet female soldiers were clerks, signal operators etc. There were a few 'combat' units mainly for propoganda,

But they had no male soldiers in their ranks, so interfering with the male bonding needed for small unit cohesion was nil. And neither were they mainstream or in most cases particually effective (though there were exceptions and some of the snipers were quite good).
    legally a woman cant commit rape anyway

Is this true?
    Is this true?

I read a story a while ago about a woman who was attacked by another woman, she penetrated her with a weapon. I can't remember how the police treated it though.

From Rape Crisis:

The law currently defines rape as the non-consensual penetration of the vagina, anus or mouth by penis.

However acts such as the penetration of the vagina or anus by a foreign object are also experienced by women as rape. The law accounts for these acts with offences which carry the same sentence as rape.

In addition touching, fondling and sexual contact against a woman's will are all forms of sexual assault.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    *ahem* Women unable to serve in the Armed forces? WW2? Russian armed forces women were more feared amoung the Nazi's than the males. The were often called evil bitches and the like, they were more violent than the men. Then there were the specially trained Russian female assasins, who were feared by everyone.

Women can be far more evil than men. But only some women. In the same way some men could never serve in the army.

Just don't let a women near a gun at that time of the month...
    One theory I have on this is that an all-male group gets a 'brotherhood' feel to it, comrades in arms and all that and for many soldiers when a woman who is not part of their male 'community' then in some cases they feel either intimidated or angry - in essence have a bad reaction to them - and so may reject them. Either by being less sociable to them, to seeing them as sexual objects as a way to 'lower' their status in their mind, or to malicious acts of sexual, verbal and physical harassment.

I went to an army camp for a week or so, and although I'm no expert so don't pick me up on this point too much, there was a divide between male and females. The female students with me had a female officer looking after them, etc. etc. I think it's along the same lines as at my school there is a 'girls room' for girls to chat at lunch or just get away from it all whereas we're not allowed a boys room because we don't need it so much.

I hate generalising, and I know I've done it just there so I apoligise. In my opinion though it's a reaction to having someone 'different' because ni the armed forces women aren't the norm, women are support staff and the like, not the front line soldiers, so maybe the front line soldiers don't see them as equals.

Just my take on it though.

How come every time someone says something pro-feminism someone has to jump in being sarcastic saying "Feminazi!!". It just doesn't seem to contribute to the debate at all *shrugs* I know there were some people who had that opinion and it was a way of taking the mick out of them, but I see it all the time in threads now with no other references.
    Story.

Is there anyone on here that thinks it's acceptable to discriminate against women? I can't understand why so many men feel as though they can get away with this kind of behaviour, and I can't believe that on the whole, they do.

I don't really see how that's discriminating against women? Soldiers are going to make leud remarks, there's no way around it.

The army isn't the place for those of a sensitive disposition.