Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

clueless about sunbeds

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay... I've been wondering about this, and SexGodNoMore's thread inspired me to ask here. I'm naturally really pale, and I burn really easily. But I've been thinking about trying sunbeds, because maybe if it was short blasts, so to speak, my skin would get used to it and I would tan rather than burn. I mean, I get grief walking down the street for having white legs! And the other day I got a voucher that lets me have 60 minutes for a tenner.

Anyway - what do I need to do if I go? What do I wear on the sunbed? Do I need sun lotion on at all? Is it likely that I'll burn? Is there anyone else here who's naturally very pale but has managed to tan? My mam's allergic to the sun which doesn't help, I shouldn't think :rolleyes:

Any help would be nice, please :)

Comments

• Options
    if you burn really easily its not a good idea and i don't think your skin gets 'used' to it.
    even if you do eventually tan your skin is still being damaged.
    ever thought about fake tan? guys do use this stuff now so don't be embarrased.

if you really must try out the sunbed only go on for 6mins the first time to see how it goes.

you don't wear anything on a sunbed but take a handtowel just incase you feel your face is burning.

do NOT wear sun lotion-that makes you burn even more. there is some sort of cream u can buy from salons to tan faster but don't know much about that.
  • Options
    You need to find out your skin type, your doctor will tell you this and advise the amount of time you can go on for. Your tanning shop should restrict you to the limit that goes with your skin type, not many places do this though, so dont go on their word, just in case.
  • Options
    If you have fair skin and tan easily, why bother paying for a sunbed when you can use the sun.

Okay, if you're in UK admittedly there's not much, but then again you don't want to much otherwise you burn.

Wasn't there this documentary about sunbeds not long ago? If you do have really burnable skin, its best to use sun beds for extremely short times.
  • Options
    guys do use this stuff now so don't be embarrased.

um... i'm a girl...
    If you have fair skin and tan easily, why bother paying for a sunbed when you can use the sun.

sadly i don't tan easily. i burn easily. i come out in a heat rash after about 5 minutes in the sun :rolleyes:
    you don't wear anything on a sunbed but take a handtowel just incase you feel your face is burning.

nothing at all? :eek: i thought you wore a bikini or something!

i am planning to use it for short times though - i'm hoping i can break that 60 mins up. Is 6 mins the shortest you can have? I thought I'd seen shorter advertised, but maybe not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dominatrix
    um... i'm a girl...

lol sorry..
  • Options
    Re: clueless about sunbeds
    Originally posted by dominatrix
    Okay... I've been wondering about this, and SexGodNoMore's thread inspired me to ask here. I'm naturally really pale, and I burn really easily. B]

Im the same and i went in and was ok but sayignt hat i read after you should never go in if pale...... so i wouldn't. If you haveeeeeeeeeeeeeee the need to then do no more than 6 mins.