Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

US spy plane crashes in the middle east

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4119344.stm

Oh there could be so much speculation here. Shot down by Iran? Who knows. What do you guys make of it?

Comments

• Options
    TBH on the info we've got it could be anything. Given that U2s are difficult to shoot down its just as likely to be a normal crash.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It means Russia has sold someone some missiles?

Either way... good fucknig shot to whoever got it. Nearly as good as the guy that downed that stealth in Yugo.
  • Options
    If it were shot down by Iran the Bush administration wouldn't hesitate to use it in their agenda for war with that country. It's more likely that the U2 had some sort of failure and crashed.
  • Options
    Either way... good fucknig shot to whoever got it. Nearly as good as the guy that downed that stealth in Yugo.

Yeah wonderful, a pilot dies, a wife loses her husband and his kiddies lose thier Dad, what a great fucking shot eh?

What a complete fucking turd you are.
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Yeah wonderful, a pilot dies, a wife loses her husband and his kiddies lose thier Dad, what a great fucking shot eh?

Do you realise how small a target it would appear?

He didn't say he was happy that the plane was shot down, just that whoever did it was a good shot.

Jeez, get off the reactionary highhorse FFS
  • Options
    If he meant that then fair enough but we all know his views on the US and I think I know what he meant.
  • Options
    No, I didn't you shit dick. I meant good shot. Same as you would say "Good shot" about that guy who shot an Iraqi TWO MILES AWAY in the head with an SA80. It was a good shot, indeed. But death is far from good.

How about you stop being a twat? I am not happy a guy is dead. But lets at least admit, getting that took some skill. It seems you, assume that "good" means something is positive in any context.
  • Options
    They've updated it anyway, it crashed while landing in UAE. Thought there might be trouble brewing, you never can know especially when something like a U2 crashes.
  • Options
    Crashed while landing? Hmm... they ought to check out the rest of them then! I mean, that could be a fault that means it must be grounded! Like when the french leave junk on the runway, so they ground concorde. :(
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Crashed while landing? Hmm... they ought to check out the rest of them then! I mean, that could be a fault that means it must be grounded! Like when the french leave junk on the runway, so they ground concorde. :(

They shouldn't have grounded concorde. Thing was, there were tonnes of orders for them but then the americans did a fantastic trick :) and because of politicians handing money under desks got everyone to buy theirs instead. (same with their starfighter) So in the end it was only france and the UK with them which means there's less demand for innovation and so the technology becomes outdated and uncompetitive which means that they fall behind which means boeing become an effective monopoly which means they charge more which means we pay more for flights, but then the british and french save the day with the A380. Woo!

Anyway, I'm a bit dubious about the crashed while landing story, I mean these are combat fighter pilots, and only the best fly a U2 really (from what I've heard), so it seems a bit peculiar for them to have an accident landing. Maybe there was a fault in the plane, but then why didn't he/she eject?
  • Options
    Becasue its expensive and, its the old "Try NOT to lose that multi-million dollar plane, eh?" thing. So they probably though 2I can land it alright, easy, just stay calm..." But unforntunatley, not.

Or, I saw about a failiure in an F-15 where all systems failed completley. Even the canopy blast system failed. Pilot tried to eject, WHAM! Wakes up later with blood all over the canopy, and has to try to do something. Had to actually manually open the cannopy and get out, I beleive. Scary stuff.

Either way, I daresay in a little while more details or the truth will be reveiledto us.
  • Options
    They've updated it anyway, it crashed while landing in UAE. Thought there might be trouble brewing, you never can know especially when something like a U2 crashes.

those planes are notoriously unreliable
  • Options
  • Options

The newer U-2R and U-2S have fared much better. There have only been five crashes and a sixth aircraft badly damaged in the last two decades, according to Jane's All the World's Aircraft.

they didnt mention theres only been 30 and 40 in use in the past 20 years....
    10% failure rate still, so its still a plane where you accept the extreme risks
  • Options
    they didnt mention theres only been 30 and 40 in use in the past 20 years....
    10% failure rate still, so its still a plane where you accept the extreme risks

Suppose it's a bit like the space shuttle then. Extremely high performance but prone to accidents.
  • Options
    The U2 is reality is probably one of hte oldest serving planes...

Why don't they replace it. Hell, its way out of date, and the design could be so easily improved upon.

Although, it does look very cool I suppose.
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:

Hmmm, and if (for example) the Iranians flew a spy plane in US airspace, of course America wouldn't shoot it down...........

And if, by chance, the Americans did such a nasty thing as to shoot down a spy plane, you'd be attacking anyone who said "good shot" right, pointing out that they too have a wife and kids.......

;)
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:

I agree. There is nothing to celebrate in the death of this young man.
  • Options
    In similar fashion, ftp, we don't see too many complaints from Tommo for all the poor wives and kids killed, let alone left husbandless/fatherless in Fallujah (as one major example out of many) thanks to our massive firebombing strike and "shoot to kill" follow-up. Obviously, no matter how intentional the act, slaughter committed on order from Washington can be excused. Those aren't human lives worth caring about after all.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

The 'junk' was part of a Continental DC-10 that took off minutes before Concorde... runway checks don't take place after every aircraft takes off!