Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Aryan Student Union?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In my school students are allowed to found clubs which can range from political groups, to acting and extreme sports clubs, to various student unions.

Currently there is a Asian Student Union, a Black Student Union, a Hebrew Student Union, and a Fat Kids Student Union (and I am not kidding!). No discriminative activity is allowed and any student can join any of the clubs, so a student of non-Asian descent can join the Asian Student Union etc.

My friends and I have always held that that these clubs serve little purpose beyond exemplifying the seemingly accepted idea of cultural separatism. And it has been my personal experience that these clubs have a tendency to give the odd feeling of division between members and non-members. So in an attempt to show the irony of "race" clubs my friends and I have founded the Aryan Student Union; whose sole activity is to hold a bi-monthly meeting where we share cake and punch. It should be noted that several of my Jewish friends and one of my African American friends are members.

When my friends and I floated the idea to some of our fellow peers it was (understandably) not well accepted. So I leave it to you; is the idea of an Aryan Student Union simply a good piece of irony, or is it just flat out offensive?
:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    good damn funny

depends on why the other societies were created, if its to do cultural activities mainly associated with that group fair enough, which means non asian/fat/lesbian peopel can join, however if its like "its for asian peopel to meet asian people" then youre perfectly valid

my uni has a womens officers, who can only be a woman, and no mens, therefore i be correct in doing them for discrimination as sexism to my knowledge is not an issue at most univeristies
  • Options
    Well, as long as this Aryan Society is not pushing any 'racially superior' politics etc then why not? There is no need to apologise for being Aryan.
  • Options
    Weren't the Ayrans an early invader on India (about 1500BC)? So personally I've no problem with a society discussing early India history - though I suspect its not going to have the biggest turnout.

If you mean Ayran as 'white' I can see that some people don't see the irony, in the same way as not everyone gets the irony of people putting white hoods on their heads and burning crosses in the lawn.
  • Options
    hah i love it! what a good idea, it might be frowned upon, but i cant see why!

i would like to note i was the only non-chinese member of the salford uni chinese society..went to parties and everything! was great. only did it cos my mate was the secretary, but chinese society parties rocked. loads of nice chicks too ;)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Well, as long as this Aryan Society is not pushing any 'racially superior' politics etc then why not? There is no need to apologise for being Aryan.

yeah and that is where the sore point usualy occurs with alot of people. Technically none of the members (to my knowledge) are actually Aryan. As NQA pointed out the actual Aryans were a group of folks who invaded and live in the Northern part of India (but i might be wrong...). It's a common mistake to associate the term "Aryan" with the NAZI concept of a master race, but as we all know the NAZI's had a pretty warped view of history. It's all part of the joke.
  • Options
    The term Aryan is Sanskrit in origin and unless I'm mistaken, refers to a race of mixed European and Indian origin... Although I think the term was also used by ancient writers to describe the Iranians?

The term originally means nobel or lord... Something like that... I don't think there are any genetics to support the Aryan idea of a race though.
  • Options
    The term Aryan is Sanskrit in origin and unless I'm mistaken, refers to a race of mixed European and Indian origin... Although I think the term was also used by ancient writers to describe the Iranians?

The term originally means nobel or lord... Something like that... I don't think there are any genetics to support the Aryan idea of a race though.

The whole notion of the Aryan race is open to interpretation, the predominating view amongst white supremecists seems to be a term which covers Caucasians generally.
  • Options
    In my school students are allowed to found clubs which can range from political groups, to acting and extreme sports clubs, to various student unions.

Currently there is a Asian Student Union, a Black Student Union, a Hebrew Student Union, and a Fat Kids Student Union (and I am not kidding!). No discriminative activity is allowed and any student can join any of the clubs, so a student of non-Asian descent can join the Asian Student Union etc.

My friends and I have always held that that these clubs serve little purpose beyond exemplifying the seemingly accepted idea of cultural separatism. And it has been my personal experience that these clubs have a tendency to give the odd feeling of division between members and non-members. So in an attempt to show the irony of "race" clubs my friends and I have founded the Aryan Student Union; whose sole activity is to hold a bi-monthly meeting where we share cake and punch. It should be noted that several of my Jewish friends and one of my African American friends are members.

When my friends and I floated the idea to some of our fellow peers it was (understandably) not well accepted. So I leave it to you; is the idea of an Aryan Student Union simply a good piece of irony, or is it just flat out offensive?
    :thumb:

You'll probably be interrogated by your headmaster.
  • Options
    i think he means white persons society
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    You'll probably be interrogated by your headmaster.

oh no doubt, we're getting a new one next year who apparently doesn't have much of a sense of humor. And that's half the reason that we're doing it. :)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hahaha...

You rule, that is pretty damned good. Although, it does raise an important issue. Why should you not be allowed one?