Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

does smoking normal cigs make anyone else paranoid?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
as it says really. i always seem to get really paranoid after smoking a cig... does anyone else? i don't smoke much. occasionally when i'm not drinking and nearly always when on a night out drinking.

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    No.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    its weird..ive only just noticed it!
    I didn't really get paranoid, but when I started out I got really apprehensive. Strange.
    Smoking cigarettes does fuck all for me, which is why I don't smoke them, except if I'm mooned with no weed, as the whole inhaling/exhaling thing is quite nice and relaxing. That's the only time though, I'm not one of these social smokers who smokes when drinking either.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Nicotine is a stimulant, so it may cause you to feel anxious, and as this is not a particularly pleasant feeling it could lead you to feeling paranoid.
    as it says really. i always seem to get really paranoid after smoking a cig... does anyone else? i don't smoke much. occasionally when i'm not drinking and nearly always when on a night out drinking.

Yes, I get paranoia (as if i'm starting to trip) when i'm smoking tobacco. I posted roughly the same question as you a few weeks or so back. All drugs, apart from weed, make me paranoid now.

The dopamine activity seems the best explanation. A bit shit if you're addicted to nicotine...
    No, it calms me.
    Interestingly, the correlation between a diagnosis of untreated psychosis and smoking is very high
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    How do you figure that?
    Interestingly, the correlation between a diagnosis of untreated psychosis and smoking is very high

Source?

seriously, i think i might have something like psychosis, my head is generally away with the faries...
    Shogun wrote:
    No, it calms me.

No it doesn't. You just think it does.

The only reason tha effect occurs is just before the cigaretee your body is crying out for nicotine. When you smoke you get a hit, so your body relaxes. Smoking actually has a negative effect on stress levels.

To answer the question, yes smoking makes me feel paranoid. Only because I work in the same office as the Smoking Cessation team and I expect them to give me a gobful everytime I light up :D
    shogun is just messed up...he thinks all drugs are good for him...
    Yea i know man of kent, it's the nictoine craving.

Good lad maddog. ;)
    Source?

sorry
    here it is