Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

which ones best

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
out of bricklayer, carpenter/joiner or painter/decourater which one pays the most and which one would be best if you wanted to start your own business.

p.s any other trade suggustions are welcome but not plumber or electrain since every 1 wants to be 1 nowadays

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Plastering.
    i'd probably say carpenter/joiner

roofing is always good to set up your own buissness
    rom667 wrote:
    out of bricklayer, carpenter/joiner or painter/decourater which one pays the most and which one would be best if you wanted to start your own business.

p.s any other trade suggustions are welcome but not plumber or electrain since every 1 wants to be 1 nowadays

carpenter/joiner :yes:
    but it depends on all sorts of factors tbh.
    Well see it depends. My friend was a plasterer for Jelson homes and he got paid more than my boyfriend who is a carpenter for David Wilson homes, but if he had worked for Wilsons he would have got less because everything comes prepped so less work to do. Plastering is mind numbling dull though.

Within in carpenting there is like the bench joinery side of it, where you will most probably work in a factory/workshop producing tables/chairs etc, and site carpentary where you work on a building site doing 1st 2nd and 3rd fixes. My boyfriends a level 2 apprentice and he gets about £215 a week after tax, but that will go up when he starts level 3, and he gets paid my David Wilsons as he's on the books as an apprentice.
    My boyfriends boss is sub-contracted by David Wilson's, so he's not on the Wilson's pay roll and he gets paid for what he does rather than a set wage, and on a good week with my boyfriends help he books in about a grand a week after tax. But obviously you have to be good/quick, so that has it's benefits as opposed to the people on the set wage on the Wilsons pay roll, but you don't get things like sick or holiday pay because you are not a direct employee kind of thing.
    beans wrote:
    Well see it depends. My friend was a plasterer for Jelson homes and he got paid more than my boyfriend who is a carpenter for David Wilson homes, but if he had worked for Wilsons he would have got less because everything comes prepped so less work to do. Plastering is mind numbling dull though.

Within in carpenting there is like the bench joinery side of it, where you will most probably work in a factory/workshop producing tables/chairs etc, and site carpentary where you work on a building site doing 1st 2nd and 3rd fixes. My boyfriends a level 2 apprentice and he gets about £215 a week after tax, but that will go up when he starts level 3, and he gets paid my David Wilsons as he's on the books as an apprentice.
    My boyfriends boss is sub-contracted by David Wilson's, so he's not on the Wilson's pay roll and he gets paid for what he does rather than a set wage, and on a good week with my boyfriends help he books in about a grand a week after tax. But obviously you have to be good/quick, so that has it's benefits as opposed to the people on the set wage on the Wilsons pay roll, but you don't get things like sick or holiday pay because you are not a direct employee kind of thing.

:chin: :confused:
    beans wrote:
    but you don't get things like sick or holiday pay because you are not a direct employee kind of thing.

Illegal. He should get an annual leave supplement to cover the holidays he would normally get should he be a permanent employee.

Dunno about sick leave.
    Panthro wrote:
    Illegal. He should get an annual leave supplement to cover the holidays he would normally get should he be a permanent employee.

Dunno about sick leave.

No it's not. It sounds like Beans bloke is a subcontractor and therefore self employed.A lot of people in the construction industry are self employed under the Construction Industry scheme. Although they may choose to subcontract to just one contractor, they are still self employed and therefore they don't get the annual leave / benefits that employees get.
    No it's not. It sounds like Beans bloke is a subcontractor and therefore self employed.A lot of people in the construction industry are self employed under the Construction Industry scheme. Although they may choose to subcontract to just one contractor, they are still self employed and therefore they don't get the annual leave / benefits that employees get.

Yeah pretty much, it's not my bloke though just his boss. Works out better for him like that.

and groovechampion i don't know how to explain it better than that :lol:
    how much can you earn from being a carpenter/joiner
    Well like i said it depends :yeees:

Boyfriends boss gets about a grand a week.
    Boyfriend gets £215 cause he's still an apprentice.
    Depends whether its site carpentry or bench joinery.
    Depends which company you work for, or if your self employed.

How old are you btw?
    Try tiling maybe. Good tiler are really hard to come across (my cousins husband is one) and once your trained you can earn £25k+ a year.