Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Panarama........

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
On this Sundays edtion of Panarama, they'll be devulging into cannabis. They'll also tell us that THC levels found in some forms of cannabis has increased, due to the cultivation techniques. herbal cannabis Skunk is one type containing high levels of THC. And that many young people will enter into, what the white coats call - cannabis induced psychosis.

We all know that cannabis not a harmless drug, and in it's various forms produce a 'euphoria' but can trigger underlying mental health problems. Cannabis can induce transient psychosis and exacerbare existing mental illness and that cannabis can indeed lead to psychological dependence for people with a predisposition.

Flicking through the Pill site, i dug up this interesting article;

http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v05/n893/a02.html

I wonder if the good ol BBC will expode the Social harm and the escalation myth surrounding cannabis? eg, evidence shows that those who use cannabis do not commit so many offences (apart from possession, supply and trafficking) when compared to coke heroin and ampthetamine. There is also abundant anecdotal evidence to show that people who are recreational users of cannabis, stay with cannabis and do not move to hard drugs.

Most hard drug users, use cannabis before they use other drugs, but almost certainetly alcohol and tobacco use will have pre-dated cannabise use.

what do others think? Dont forget, this sunday 22.20 BBC 1.

Comments

• Options
    Its hardly a shocking idea is it, smoking lots of cannabis while you are still only young isnt good for you.

I knew that when I was a teenager, its bloody obvious.
  • Options
    Hello Bong

>>>Its hardly a shocking idea is it<<<

i dunno, i'm still shocked at the amount of negative media coverage surrounding cannabis, and the wasted Police time spent on the drug.

>>>smoking lots of cannabis while you are still only young isnt good for you, I knew that when I was a teenager, its bloody obvious.<<<

Bong, i think you arrived in this world just before moi, so you'd have known about the cannabis that i wrote up about the other day; Afghan black, Nepalese, Red Leb, Leb Gold, Temple ball, zero zero etc etc i think you'd agree that the THC level wasn't as high as whats in todays Skunk Although, Durban Poison, transvaal blue, Purple haze, white widow were the early versions which could indeed knock the wax outta my ear lugs, if you know what i mean ;) So really, there should be a educative campaign about cannabis, rather than the usuall rhetoric and propaganda dished out by the ministry.

anyway, thanks for the thoughtfulll reply :thumb:

ps, what did you think of the Newcy study, any thoughts?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Cannabis made me more paranoid then any other drug I've ever taken.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Hope your O.K now chaps.

Cannabis lile alcohol is a mood enhancer i.e you walk into a boozer with three mates and start drinking. (Hypothetically speaking) one will lose his inhibitions and will want to shag everything, another will get the giggles and laugh at everything, and the other will get paranoid and what not, and may think about shoving a glass in your mouey.

There is no test for people with a predispostion, thou the rule of thumb is -

if it doesn't agree with you first time, then dont do it!

There is only media concern at the mo, due to the very high increase in admissions to AAW's for people displaying mental illness eg, psychosis, scitzophrenia etc etc a lot of people will use spliff to self-medicate as sort of explained in the link in the first post. Most Paranoia will have been exacerbated by the drug, and after a few months of abstinance (of all drugs, inc Alcohol) , should go away, and the person will go back to being 'normal' as such.
  • Options
    if it doesn't agree with you first time, then dont do it!

That wasn't the case.

Only after years of smoking it did I start to feel the paranoia.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    it made me paraniod too,always does nearly thats why I only toke in the house now,rarely outside except in special circumstances.
    Im more worried about the state of the lung than physicosis, My dad warned abt it making people go loopy then 2 mins later an add came on about that program, it was ironic
  • Options
    Well it's nothing new! every one basically knows cannabis can cause schitzophrenia

No they don't.
    It's looks almost certain it can trigger psychoisis though.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well it's nothing new! every one basically knows cannabis can cause schitzophrenia (sp?) especially when starting at a young age bu this panarama, last night threw it up as if the research was only new.

No, no one knows that. The jury is still out.
  • Options
    actually cannabis sadly can trigger psychosis for some people. ive met people who smokes so much weed and theyre schizo. ive been through rehab. recently i know a guy from uni. he was my dealer and seem like a very ordinary pothead everytime we hang around. one day though i saw him walking and stopped to say hi and all. but then we was way out of his head. he was mentioning the voices in his head and started confiding to me the fucked up things that happened to him in the past. anyway, when i got fed up of his insanity i called his girlfriend and she said that the guy had been missing the whole day. just walked out of the house. and nobody knew where he was. she came to the pub where i brought the guy and we brought him to the hospital. it was only an episode. last time i saw him he looked fine. feel sorry for him though. ive been through rehab but i didnt know the fucked up people i met there before, or how they were outside. but this guy from uni was someone i knew personally and its quite an eye opener. ive been smoking since 15 i think and still am. hope i aint one of them inclined to psychosis. lets hope you aint either.
  • Options
    Yes, it can trigger psychosis for some people. It is unclear however, whether cannabis merely triggers latent mental health problems or actually causes them.
  • Options
    Comment & Analisis

Firstly, appology to the guy that i replied to when i said if it doesn't agree with you first time then dont do it. It was a rushed reply made by me, but i think you know the giste and where i was comming from.

Anyway, on last nites show a few things disturbed me ~

The soppy GP who dismissed the mother who asked for help on her sons behalf. The GP said he was more concerned about the tobacco which in my eyes is true, as when cannabis is mixed with tobacco and somked, it could lead to an unwanted addiction with serious health risks ,hence the banning of Ciggarettes to under 18's (proposed) and the banning of smoking in public spaces (proposed)

Secondly - The woman who done the tests on rats said that cannabis use can trigger heroin use. But i'd like to know if it was just heroin used in the experiement? i.e did they have Alcohol, caffeine, cocaine and yep, sugar available for the rat to chose from??? As i think it's just another propaganda stunt

Thirdly - The mans son who developed scitzophrenia. He admitted that he smoked top quaility gear, six spliffs per day over a long period of time. Well sorry son, if you do that then hey, your gonna get in trouble eh? If you do drugs on a daily basis, and/or need drugs to function, then people should seek help.

fourthly - The young hoodie basically just needs to get a grip and get a life. I think he's had it toooooooo flipin easy at home, in the way in which, where did he get the sheckles tofund his habit?????

fifthly - The Psychiatrist forgot to tell us that most drugs inc; alcohol, Ampthetamines, crack cocaine, cocaine are just as, if not more worse, in both the addiction and with entering into psychosis, as alcohol is the only drug that you can die withdrawing from, and plus from the violence perspective.

any constructive comments to this post, both negative or postitive will be welcomed by moi, john.
  • Options
    Comment & Analisis

Firstly, appology to the guy that i replied to when i said if it doesn't agree with you first time then dont do it. It was a rushed reply made by me, but i think you know the giste and where i was comming from.

Anyway, on last nites show a few things disturbed me ~

The soppy GP who dismissed the mother who asked for help on her sons behalf. The GP said he was more concerned about the tobacco which in my eyes is true, as when cannabis is mixed with tobacco and somked, it could lead to an unwanted addiction with serious health risks ,hence the banning of Ciggarettes to under 18's (proposed) and the banning of smoking in public spaces (proposed)

Secondly - The woman who done the tests on rats said that cannabis use can trigger heroin use. But i'd like to know if it was just heroin used in the experiement? i.e did they have Alcohol, caffeine, cocaine and yep, sugar available for the rat to chose from??? As i think it's just another propaganda stunt

Thirdly - The mans son who developed scitzophrenia. He admitted that he smoked top quaility gear, six spliffs per day over a long period of time. Well sorry son, if you do that then hey, your gonna get in trouble eh? If you do drugs on a daily basis, and/or need drugs to function, then people should seek help.

fourthly - The young hoodie basically just needs to get a grip and get a life. I think he's had it toooooooo flipin easy at home, in the way in which, where did he get the sheckles tofund his habit?????

fifthly - The Psychiatrist forgot to tell us that most drugs inc; alcohol, Ampthetamines, crack cocaine, cocaine are just as, if not more worse, in both the addiction and with entering into psychosis, as alcohol is the only drug that you can die withdrawing from, and plus from the violence perspective.

any constructive comments to this post, both negative or postitive will be welcomed by moi, john.

I don't think the rat experiment can be taken seriously.

As for the boy with schitzophrenia...one case of a dope smoker developing schitzophrenia - that's far from convincing.

The hooded lot were probably exaggerating...for a dope smoker, the reporter seemed to place a particularly strange emphasis on what are common effects of smoking dope. Why the fuck was his mum saying the boy had "relapsed" when she found him singing to Danny Filth or whatever shit he was listening to - seemed like perfectly normal teenage behaviour to me. And the whole "I'm Satan" thing - religious experiences aren't exactly uncommon.

I made a particular point of chain-smoking joints throughout the programme, so my memory of is somewhat vague. Overall, I thought it was ok. Too much emphasis over what are perfectly normal effects of cannabis, however.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    For clarification, there is an established link between the smoking of cannabis triggering psychotic episodes in those predisposed to mental illness (for example, if someone in the immediate family has schizophrenia ). The initial findings of the new research indicate that heavy cannabis smoking in young people can cause psychosis, whether they are predisposed to it or not. The distinction is quite important.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, no one knows that. The jury is still out.
    Its a insidiously dangerous drug for young people and its responsible for the alarming increase in mental problems for the under 25's. Wouldn't touch it myself, prefer getting pissed on alcohol.
  • Options
    Hidrick wrote:
    Its a insidiously dangerous drug for young people and its responsible for the alarming increase in mental problems for the under 25's. Wouldn't touch it myself, prefer getting pissed on alcohol.

As Blagsta said, there is no certainty that is the case. The evidence is pointing in that direction but it is far from conclusive at this point.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    As Blagsta said, there is no certainty that is the case. The evidence is pointing in that direction but it is far from conclusive at this point.
    But what about the comments made by Marjorie Wallace, head of the mental health charity SANE, who said that many psychiatric units have become little more than "cannabis wards" because of the huge numbers turned psychotic by the drug?
    She said that the situation has become so serious that the entire mental health system was being "distorted".
    Patients with non-drug related mental illnesses were being turned away because of the threat of violence from psychotic cannabis users had made them unsafe.
    She said "in London 80% of people assessed with a first episode of psychosis are on cannabis. The explosion in cannabis-induced psychosis is already happening."
  • Options
    That may be the case, or it may not. What you have quoted is one persons opinion based on situational evidence - and I'm not saying that Marjorie Wallace is wrong, I'm saying that at the current time the medical evidence doesn't conclusively support the position she is taking. Until they are able to do further research to prove their initial findings, we won't know. I wold also be interested to know where the 80% statistic comes from.
  • Options
    Hidrick wrote:

And of course alcohol contributes in no way to social problems or mental health problems. Right you are then.
  • Options
    Hidrick wrote:
    But what about the comments made by Marjorie Wallace, head of the mental health charity SANE, who said that many psychiatric units have become little more than "cannabis wards" because of the huge numbers turned psychotic by the drug?
    She said that the situation has become so serious that the entire mental health system was being "distorted".
    Patients with non-drug related mental illnesses were being turned away because of the threat of violence from psychotic cannabis users had made them unsafe.
    She said "in London 80% of people assessed with a first episode of psychosis are on cannabis. The explosion in cannabis-induced psychosis is already happening."

Source?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Source?
    http://www.sane.org.uk/public_html/Press_Releases/Press_archive.shtm
    Blagsta wrote:
    And of course alcohol contributes in no way to social problems or mental health problems. Right you are then.
    Source?
  • Options
    There is no need for that, it is perfectly reasonable to ask for a source when you mention someone by name or quote information. In fact, in the drugs board guidelines it mentions that this is normal practice.
  • Options
    Hidrick wrote:

Tbh I can't find anything on the entire web that quotes Majorie Wallace using the phrase 'cannabis wards'. Their position seems a little more reasoned -

"We have growing evidence from our 1,000 callers a week that the current culture of taking cannabis makes treatment difficult and adversely affects the prognosis for those who become psychotic. While an inquiry would have been welcomed before the lowering of the classification of cannabis last year – making it more easily available and giving out messages that it is relatively harmless – we would urge the Government to reverse its decision on classification urgently, backing that with a multi-million pound education and awareness campaign on the dangers of cannabis for young people whose brains are developing.”

http://www.sane.org.uk/public_html/Press_Releases/pr_050129.shtm

and

"While for 80% to 90% of people cannabis may have no lasting effect, for the minority who are vulnerable the taking of cannabis, especially in strengthened forms like Skunk, can turn a mild trip into a journey of mental disintegration from which they may never return.

The mounting evidence of the research shows a specific relationship between cannabis and symptoms such as paranoia, hearing voices, and feeling confused, frightened and aggressive. SANE has campaigned for over 18 years to highlight the direct links between cannabis and serious mental illness such as schizophrenia. Until there is further research into these links, we believe that downgrading the classification gives out a mixed message, exposing too many young people and their families to the risk of future mental health problems.”

http://www.sane.org.uk/public_html/Press_Releases/pr_050503.shtm
  • Options
    Hidrick wrote:

Where's that 80% figure?
    Hidrick wrote:
    Source?

http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/
    http://www.arp-uk.org/
    any town centre on a Friday or Saturday night
  • Options
    Sorry, the rat lab test was very relevent. Maybe not to you, me and most people on this board, but to people like Harry Anslinger, they'll almost deffinately use this.

Anyone heard of "Reefer madness" or the "gateway drug theory" presented around the JFK era by the prohibition theorist's?

>>>>Maybe he didn't know?<<<<<

Maybe he didn't, but surley working at the Maud and going on a drug doco, you'd think he'd have aquired some learnt knowledge about drugs.
  • Options
    The film "Reefer Madness" preceded JFK by about 30 years.
  • Options
    as alcohol is the only drug that you can die withdrawing from,

benzodiazepenes and barbiturates as well
  • Options
    Mae: What time is it?
    Jack: Time to get up and give this place the goin' over. It looks like the marines have landed.
    Mae: Well, that bunch last night was high enough to take over the marines and the navy!

Gotta love Reefer Madness.... okay off to my own forums now
  • Options
    Come back any time JimV! :yes:
  • Options
    Wooooooooaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Benzo's are classified as pharmaceuticals are they not? (man made????).

Not entirly sure as to what jimbo is clucking on about, but what was his testamony to the US congress during the debate to pass the Marijuana Tax Act 1937?

basically; White women who smoke dope will perform oral on black men, hispanics and jazz musicians et al. It is a drug that causes insanity, criminality and death"

with regards to the gateway theory - That is still chucked out today, after the La Guardia Report by the New York Mayor that concluded that cannabis was not a harmfull drug he stated - "That dope smokers and heroinusers were two classes of drug users that did not mix. He also tried to supress the Lindsmith report that proved that the herb was not as dangerous as Harry made out, so he tried to ban research into cannabis altoghter. He was retired at that point by JFK. Thou his phamphlet "The Traffic in Narcotic Drugs" were influential in getting the nations of the world to sign the 1961 single protocol on Psychotropic drugs and substances.
  • Options
    Benzo's are classified as pharmaceuticals are they not? (man made????).

What difference does that make?
    They're still drugs you can die withdrawing from.
    Weekender Offender