Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cheers for the replies so far.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Cheers lolly and Spirit II both your replies.
I agree with both of you that even though we tell others that and therefore try to convice ourselves that we would never use again, deep down somehow we know that we will. Be it either drugs, alcohol, food, sex etc.... What makes an addictive personality? Is it something that stems from childhood? I've been doing a lot of research trying to find out why are we like this... What's this massive hole were trying to fill? It's not just a case of going out and taking something to have a good time. It's a lot deeper rooted than that. I was emotionally unhappy as a child even though I come from a loving but very strict Greek Cypriot family, I've always tried to escape something. I ended up getting married at 18 to escape them, that lasted for 7 years - then left him and then I went totally off the rails escaping into the drugs world. I've never really been able to face up to and deal with my emotions. I'm still finding it really hard now. How do you start to deal with lifes realities without running off getting totally off it, so you don't have to deal with or feel anything?

Comments

• Options
    Perhaps you would like to try getting some counselling or joining a support group in your area. TheSite has a list of helplines here:
    http://www.thesite.org/drugs/national_helplines.html
  • Options
    I've actually been receiving advice & counselling both in he UK and now in Cyprus where i'm currently staying temporarily. I came over here a week after I attended the Detox 5 program to change my environment completely and getting away from past social circles, ex-partner has helped a great deal.
    I must admit though I do get homesick, but then the thought of coming back also scares me.... Maybe its just too soon.