Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What could they do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok to cut the story short.

I work at a supermarket on the checkouts part time and have already booked a holiday with my mates for early july.

I've given them a holiday form 5 weeks in advance so they have plenty of notice etc.

Anyway the store is in the process of changing over to a Morrisons and the changeover takes place when im on holiday. Someone else on the checkouts who is going on holiday at the same time as me has been told that they can't let him have his holiday. Something to do with the changeover etc etc.

Now they haven't said anything to me yet about my holiday but i have a feeling they could do the same.

I mean im gonna go on the holiday whatever, but what exactly could they do if they don't allow me this holiday but i go anyway.

Comments

• Options
    Potentially you could come back and find out you dont have a job. Just wait and see, if they havent told you any different then maybe you're allowed. Dont mention it to anyone and just hope it all turns out ok.
  • Options
    Do you have a slip or anything in writing saying that your holiday has previously been authorised because if so then you should be alright.
  • Options
    Well when i've asked for holidays before, not long ones just like a night off, i did the same. Wrote on this holiday form, handed it in and then looked on the shift rota thing they have ( they do the rota's four weeks in advance ) and noticed they had taken me off that night. But they never told me in person that they had accepted it.

Then stupidly like a couple of weeks later i got the authorisation slip from the supervisor saying they had accepted the holiday. Weeks after i had the holiday!!!!
  • Options
    If they don't let you have it, go regardless. Worse case scenario is you lose your job. I'm guessing you haven't previously had any warnings or anything. Thus, if you leave it will be their loss of a valuable worker, and they are unlikely to sack you. If they won't give you the holiday, take unpaid leave.
  • Options
    To be honest i'm not exactly that bothered if they sack me or whatever. Not that important to me, just a part time job. Like you say, its gonna be a bigger lose for them which i know for sure as they are short staffed as it is.

Only thing i would be bothered about is the reference, could affect what they say when i'm looking for another job. Maybe, i dunno.
  • Options
    If you don't have authorised holiday, then good old Ken will probably fire you. He's a lovely man like that isn't old Ken.
  • Options
    Check your contract: it may be that you're required to have holiday authorised before booking a holiday and they maintain the right to refuse it - if so, you've essentially landed yourself in it by not reading your contract - if not, they don't have a leg to stand on.

Certainly, it's in my contract that holiday must be authorised by management before it is booked and they take no responsibility if you book it and then they don't allow you to take holiday then for any reason (e.g. sale week, too many other members of staff on holiday that week, etc.)