Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Trying for Cambridge..

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's all opinion. Those who went to Oxbridge will say that its the best; those who went to other top unis will dispute that.

I know a lot of people from Oxbridge and from what they've said I wouldn't say that Oxbridge was much better than any other of the "top" unis, and I wouldn't say that my "top" uni was much better than Northumbria where t'missus studied.

But it is all opinion. In some circles an Oxbridge degree will open doors, but what is often forgotten is that it is the networking that comes with an Oxbridge degree that opens the doors, not the degree itself. Nepotism is alive and well, regardless what people think, and it will never die: people want to know who they work with. My work is comedically incestuous.
  • Options
    I don't go to either Oxford or Cambridge. I still recognise that they are the best though.

The degree from Oxbridge will open doors, if you have "Oxford" or "Cambridge" MA on your CV it singles you out from the crowd as they are the best universities in the country if not Europe. On the other hand I'm sure with a minority of employers however it will slam the door shut as they will positively discriminate against Oxbridge graduates. My friends dad told me that he used to throw Oxbridge CVs in the bin because he claimed they "are all tossers"! :s
  • Options
    This is whole point though. They are no longer in every field the best. In fact in some fields they may have several uni's rated above them.
  • Options
    for christs sake did you read

"it has a recent track record better than that of Oxford, according to the official assessments of teaching quality."

with regard to the York link above.

Merely the fact Oxbridge earns more doesn't mean they are more highly prized. They also have more First students who are likely to land better jobs.

How can you say that someone will rank the university you went to and not the department? The department is very relevant and the university much less so.

also remember people do choose their jobs after their degrees, and well perhaps more people at oxbridge want to go into finance etc which pays loads more than those who actually might want to do a phd then research, or teach or become a nurse or something

he wants to do maths, cambridge is one of the best to go to, and he'll apply to 3 other unis as well who are good too so hes not exactly limiting his options
  • Options
    I never said Cambridge wasn't I was discussing the fact that somebody was basically saying that Oxbridge is the best to uni to go to which is not always the case.
  • Options
    i tried for cambridge, didn't get in but I'm glad I took the opportunity to seeing as I had the grades. I think that if you want to go you should try, otherwise you'll never know.

edited to say (in darts official voice): "One Hundred and Eighty!!!"
  • Options
    Yeah sorry, you can't win this kind of argument anyway.

No but by God you're having a good try at it.
  • Options
    yeah, you should never be too optimistic.. but it's your choice, and other people's opinion shouldn't influence your choice.. maybe you do have a chance, but we have persuaded you that you don't... what will happen then? And the other way around's just the same....

your choice

:angel: -neutral- :angel: