Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Trying for Cambridge..

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes it does. On average Oxbridge graduates earn considerably more. They do a lot more work when they are there, they have one on one tuition, they are the top of the league tables and have amazing resources with the best academics in the country.

Taken slightly out of context :)

The best academics in the country are not all at Oxbridge. You should do your research a little better.
  • Options
    Taken slightly out of context :)

The best academics in the country are not all at Oxbridge. You should do your research a little better.

No, they are. They are the best universities in the country. They have more leading academics than any other unversity.
  • Options
    Nope not true.

Yorks Computer Science department for example is almost exactly the same teaching rating as Cambridge and also earns more revenue per year. York is also far above Oxford in the standard for this subject. Merely suggesting Oxbridge is at the top of every league table is wrong.

I never "merely suggested" that it was the top of every league table. They are the top of the overall league table though and are better universities than York and everywhere else.
  • Options
    Being an overall best is irrelevant if the subject you do with them is poor. A degree in Computer Science at York is much better than one at Oxford. Also once again in each subject area suggesting that Oxbridge has the most leading academics in that area is absurd.
  • Options
    No, they are. They are the best universities in the country. They have more leading academics than any other unversity.

Congratulations on having contradicted yourself.

If you read the papers at all, you would have seen the study conducted among leading academics where the results suggested that with all benefits both major and fringe taken into account, Bristol was actually was where the majority of academics preferred it.

Bomberman has hit the nail on the head. For example, Russian at Brisol is, or at least was when I applied, better than Oxbridge owing to the teaching staff (academics in your language groovechampion), just as Aeronautical Engineering is best by a country mile at Southampton.

Again, groovechampion, I challenge you to do your research.
  • Options
    It's not just about academics - it's a combination of the cream of the teaching staff/academics/lecturers however you guys want to phrase factored in with the cream of the 'best students' in the country. Again best is an operative/subjective word. One would assume that because Oxbridge in general unless ogger is unconditional demand the highest grades to get in uniformally AAB or AAA across all subjects you would assume tehy were getting the best students according to A'level results, but this is only one measure of intelligence. The other thing is you are a five A at A'level star and your teacher at Oxbridge happened to be say fairly mediocre. How fmuch would this really affect. I know for sure in Cambridge (it's the opposite in Oxford) that ionce you are there you are not mollycoddled to work hard (yes there are regular tuition sessions) but apart from this the onus is much more on solo study, solo endeavour etc as in other unis. In Oxford in terns of teacher guidance arts students really are still mollycoddled if that's the write word often ebing given the opportunity to rewrite/tailor an essay until they get it 'right.' But my point is, if you are a shining star aren't you going to shine anyway? If you are average/above average isn't that where teh quality of teaching staff can really make all the difference?
  • Options
    I know Cambridge are definitely on a drive to get more kids from underprivileged backgrounds. Back in 2003, I was invited to judge a journalism competition there that was set for youngsters. There were other elements as well, such as maths, science etc. which I thankfully had nothing to do with. Yes me judging journalism (despite my typos) and all. Besides that there was a very inspirational lecturer there called Ato Quayson. He was very powerful speaker. He is a Cambridge shall we say 'media favourite.' Anyhow, his whole philosphy was if you want to get anywhere in life, Cambridge or whatever else, you have to have 'fire in the belly.' I had never heard this expression before, but now here it used quite a lot. I totally agree with this philosphy. 'Fire in the belly' will get you far. You have to be inspired by what you are doing and keep yoru eye on the prize. And that is what I would advice you shy boy. You can all read what the professor actually teaches and some of what he has to say if you copy and paste out this link here: http://www.royalafricansociety.org/articles_africanvoices/quayson_afstudcent
  • Options
    Right for christs sake paragraphs? That hurt my damn eyes reading that.

Who says the best students are at Oxbridge? Once again the other top universities in specific subject areas can have higher entrance grades than Oxbridge's. York is an AAB to get onto a computer science degree usually which is about the same as Oxford.

The best students will be wanting to go where the best departments are. Oxbridge is most definatly not the be all and end all of universities.
  • Options
    Paragraph point taken. I should know better, but on five hours sleep, please forgive me. York is a very good uni. Correct me if I'm wrong, I just don't know if any other unis apart from Oxford/Cambridge who would by general code of practice insist on AAB across all subjects. A question?

Also out of interest, Thunderstruck, if you know, how does Bristol's Russian department compare to Bradford. Bradford was supposed to be pretty good for Russian when I was there. I think it was Dr John Russell claiming to be one of the top 10 UK Russian translators at the time.
  • Options
    mazza wrote:
    Paragraph point taken. I should know better, but on five hours sleep, please forgive me. York is a very good uni. Correct me if I'm wrong, I just don't know if any other unis apart from Oxford/Cambridge who would by general code of practice insist on AAB across all subjects. A question?

Also out of interest, Thunderstruck, if you know, how does Bristol's Russian department compare to Bradford. Bradford was supposed to be pretty good for Russian when I was there. I think it was Dr John Russell claiming to be one of the top 10 UK Russian translators at the time.

it depends on subjecy, he wants to do maths and he wants to go cambridge which as far as im aware is one of the best in the world to go to for mathematics

they are fussy on grades for getting interviews, but if you do a good interview they give a offer which you can get with work, not an impossible offer

i got rejected for interview from imperial for software engineering with ABB in maths physics chemistry and a very good external knowledge of computers, so its the grades they turned me down on, whilst for chemistry there i got a offer of BBB there, as i killed the interview there due to fact i learn the lgoic of things not the end result so could attempt a half decent answer for things ive never seen

shyboy go for cambridge if you think youre good enoguh but youll have to stick with physics as its applied maths, and you cant make yourself good for their interviews, you either are or you arent, and well youll find otu if you like it there too.
    i got accepted to imperial i didnt take it though, i decided to go ucl with bristol 2nd choice instead, and im glad i did :)
    you do get 4 choices of where/what to apply to so just choose a good variety for your subject :) and good luck

getting into oxbridge for undergrad isnt the beall and endall of things, my unis 7th in the uk or something at moment overall and 15th for my subject, but its one of the best research centres in europe and im learning better from their style of teaching than i would of at teaching univeristies
  • Options
    mazza wrote:

The argument being made is whether or not oxbridge is the big daddy of uni's like some people see it. Overall grading is pretty useless for any individual as they want to know about their subject.
  • Options
    mazza wrote:

I didn't look into Bradford to be honest. I only applied to Bristol and Durham and chose Bristol.

I'm not sure how the department is ranked now but we have Mike Basker who is a world Pushkin authority (his Pushkin series) and Professor Derek Offord who, quite literally, wrote the book on Russian Grammar (here and here) which are on just about every single university Russian syllabus in the world. We also had, before he retired, Richard Peace, who any Russian student will tell you is a world authority on Dostoevsky and Tolstoy. Not a bad little department really!
  • Options

If you read the papers at all, you would have seen the study conducted among leading academics where the results suggested that with all benefits both major and fringe taken into account, Bristol was actually was where the majority of academics preferred it.

Congratulations, you can almost speak English. I challenge you to string together a proper sentence. :D

You're wrong. Go look at the Times Higher education supplement online section. There's a survey among 1,300 of the worlds best academics - they rated Cambridge then Oxford as the world leaders in Science. They were followed by several American universities with the rest of the British unis comparatively far behind.
    Bomberman has hit the nail on the head. For example, Russian at Brisol is, or at least was when I applied, better than Oxbridge owing to the teaching staff (academics in your language groovechampion), just as Aeronautical Engineering is best by a country mile at Southampton.

Academics - thats what universities have ;).... sarcy bastard!

So you're point is that Russian at Bristol was rated top for teaching the year you applied? So? Oxford and Cambridge are higher than Bristol for a much larger list of subjects and rate higher in many other aspects too.

If you're interested check out this article on the Top 200 universities in the world, Oxbridge are the only British unis in the top ten.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1343642,00.html
  • Options
    Being an overall best is irrelevant if the subject you do with them is poor. A degree in Computer Science at York is much better than one at Oxford. Also once again in each subject area suggesting that Oxbridge has the most leading academics in that area is absurd.

Better? How?

A degree from Oxford has more kudos, regardless of the teaching record for the years you were there.

Not sure how else it can be "better".
  • Options
    Congratulations, you can almost speak English. I challenge you to string together a proper sentence. :D

Sorry? Where were the mistakes in my post?

I can speak English and it seems that you're a little stoked that I pointed out the fact that you contradicted yourself.

So all in all, it appears you are a wanker.
  • Options
    Sorry? Where were the mistakes in my post?

I can speak English and it seems that you're a little stoked that I pointed out the fact that you contradicted yourself.

So all in all, it appears you are a wanker.

I was talking about the 4 line long sentence that didn't make much sense.

I'm not really stoked. How did I contradict myself? Do you just like saying that randomly?

I pointed out that you were wrong and "did my research" :rolleyes:

You were being a sarcastic nob and talking drivel.
  • Options

Apart from the absence of two commas, that was a fine sentence.
    You're wrong. Go look at the Times Higher education supplement online section. There's a survey among 1,300 of the worlds best academics - they rated Cambridge then Oxford as the world leaders in Science. They were followed by several American universities with the rest of the British unis comparatively far behind.

It depends which science, and which academics were asked.

For a lot of subjects Oxbridge don't feature in the top five rated universities. For a lot they do, particularly classics, but even in something as classic as politics one of the best academics is at Keele, and one is at Newcastle, and several more are at other Russell Group universities.

I would also point out that reputation and actual ability are quite often unrelated. Durham is very highly regarded- many see it as the 3rd university behidn Oxbridge- but on the Times tables it isn't so good.

I would also point out that "kudos" depends on which profession you wish to enter. The computing profession, for instance, see universities like York to be the daddy, and for teaching places like Northumbria are regarded very highly.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Apart from the absence of two commas, that was a fine sentence.
    I would also point out that "kudos" depends on which profession you wish to enter. The computing profession, for instance, see universities like York to be the daddy, and for teaching places like Northumbria are regarded very highly.

As Kermit said employers are likely to know which univiersities are good in their field. Oxford just isn't that good so I am sure "Kudos" has nothing to do with it. Any employer of Computing professionals will know York is of a very high standard. It has more money than the equivalent Cambridge department brought in each year and is internationally reknowned for its research and the quality of students it produces.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

It depends which science, and which academics were asked..
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-2-1396497,00.html
    Kermit wrote:
    For a lot of subjects Oxbridge don't feature in the top five rated universities. For a lot they do, particularly classics, but even in something as classic as politics one of the best academics is at Keele, and one is at Newcastle, and several more are at other Russell Group universities...

Yes, for several subjects Oxbridge is not top. But for many more, they are rated number 1. Obviously other universities are not worthless because they don't rival Oxbridge, they just aren't as good.
    Kermit wrote:
    I would also point out that reputation and actual ability are quite often unrelated. Durham is very highly regarded- many see it as the 3rd university behidn Oxbridge- but on the Times tables it isn't so good..
    Everyone seems to always mention their own university as being the "3rd behind Oxbridge" or with a department that is better than the equivalent Oxbridge one. Is that what this is about?
  • Options
    As Kermit said employers are likely to know which univiersities are good in their field. Oxford just isn't that good so I am sure "Kudos" has nothing to do with it. Any employer of Computing professionals will know York is of a very high standard. It has more money than the equivalent Cambridge department brought in each year and is internationally reknowned for its research and the quality of students it produces.

I suppose that's true if there is a field directly related to your degree. But for anyone with a social science, arts or other non-vocational degree their employer will probably have no idea whether the department they studied at is good or poor.
  • Options
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8405-1246621,00.html

In the grand scheme of things Oxford and Cambridge really aren't the best.

A lot of degree's do map onto particular career paths. Social sciences do lend themselves towards certain careers. Employers WILL know where the best departments are. Seeing Oxford or Cambridge at the top really doesn't mean much anymore.

I will point out again generalising a university on all of its courses is irrelevant when looking at particular courses. Graduate employers are going to have some sort of idea of where the best departments are.
  • Options
    Everyone seems to always mention their own university as being the "3rd behind Oxbridge" or with a department that is better than the equivalent Oxbridge one. Is that what this is about?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8404-1246752.html

Please also read that before posting about Oxbirdge being on top.
  • Options
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8405-1246621,00.html

In the grand scheme of things Oxford and Cambridge really aren't the best..
    Yes, I posted a similar world ranking. They are the best in the UK.
    A lot of degree's do map onto particular career paths. Social sciences do lend themselves towards certain careers. Employers WILL know where the best departments are. Seeing Oxford or Cambridge at the top really doesn't mean much anymore..
    Yes it does mean a lot. Oxbridge graduates earn on average 8 percent more than other "old" universities. Grads from newer universities earn 8 percent less than that.
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/students/story/0,9860,801782,00.html
    I will point out again generalising a university on all of its courses is irrelevant when looking at particular courses. Graduate employers are going to have some sort of idea of where the best departments are.

I don't agree. I don't think they place that much value on the department, I think the most important thing is the final classification (i.e. 2:1 or above), then the overall reputation of the university and then what you have done outside of academia. I don't think the teaching quality of the department you studied at will make much of a difference.
  • Options
    for christs sake did you read

"it has a recent track record better than that of Oxford, according to the official assessments of teaching quality."

with regard to the York link above.

Merely the fact Oxbridge earns more doesn't mean they are more highly prized. They also have more First students who are likely to land better jobs.

How can you say that someone will rank the university you went to and not the department? The department is very relevant and the university much less so.
  • Options
    Yes it does mean a lot. Oxbridge graduates earn on average 8 percent more than other "old" universities. Grads from newer universities earn 8 percent less than that.
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/students/story/0,9860,801782,00.html

Really? It seems that it depends where you look. Especially when your article is dated 2 years ago-things change, and fast.

Back onto the original topic of the thread-ShyBoy, I would say go for it-the worst that they can do is say no :) It also seems like you have a real passion for the subject-something which I would have thought would be good in your application.
  • Options
    Bomberdude, I think you'll find that groovewhat'shisface doesn't really read people's posts very much hence his retarded interpretations of my clear English.
  • Options
    Ah shut up, you're wrong. But this is going nowhere.
  • Options
    Bomberdude, I think you'll find that groovewhat'shisface doesn't really read people's posts very much hence his retarded interpretations of my clear English.

For the record, I only took the piss out of your "retarded" English because you were sarcastic and randomly claiming I'd contradicted myself.

Yeah! Makes total sense! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Maybe its you that doesn't read people's posts, or even re-read your own :thumb:.
    But it doesn't matter, I only said it because you were being annoying by being sarcastic and patronising.
  • Options
    I think it's time the three-way argument ended and you guys stick to directly advising/helping shyboy in the corner. Keep it nice. Agree to discuss and no more put down comments. Thanks.
  • Options
    mazza wrote:
    I think it's time the three-way argument ended and you guys stick to directly advising/helping shyboy in the corner. Keep it nice. Agree to discuss and no more put down comments. Thanks.

Yeah sorry, you can't win this kind of argument anyway.