Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should All Students Have Computers instead of text books?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Do we really need text books these days?

We now have tablet PC's, which are portable and can be wireless.

Do you think it would be a good thing if the government gave every student a machine similar to the pic below and they kept this with them and took it to classes rather then a bag full of heavy books?

It would save on a lot of printing costs and the needs to buy lots of text books.

Going electronic could even help teachers to get their marking done faster and so have more time to spend on other things.

m1400.gif
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It has future potential. but I like books.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It has future potential. but I like books.

So do I.

Also, the government don't pay for our books as it is so I would extremely doubt that they would pay for this contraption either.
  • Options
    And of course, PCs are out of date in 6 months, and obsolete in a couple of years.
  • Options
    Overly expensive, what's wrong with books?
    I'd much rather see the money go into improving teaching standards personally.
  • Options
    Overly expensive, what's wrong with books?

there made out of trees? but then again that gadget has probably got its fair share of plastic in it. lose lose really
  • Options
    for schoolkids i reckon it would act as too much of a distraction

and what if they got broken? and they would be much more likely to get stolen than a text book!
  • Options
    lazymonkey wrote:
    there made out of trees? but then again that gadget has probably got its fair share of plastic in it. lose lose really

And how many thousands of years have we used them without anyone complaining? :p
  • Options
    Trees can be re-planted, and grown in a few years, oil can't be.

I prefer books to computers when I'm studying. When I'm reading e-journals I normally print the articles off. I can't scrawl on the computer screen.
  • Options
    It's easier to read from a book, plus any relevent parts can be highlighted and annotated.
  • Options
    1) Books don't crash every now and then
    2) Books don't need recharging / a power source
    3) Some pikey sees you with a book, he's not going to mug you for it
    4) Books require neither upgrades nor tech support
    5) Thos PDAs run Windows. Nuff said.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I prefer books to computers when I'm studying. When I'm reading e-journals I normally print the articles off.
    same. computers are important, but i wouldn't be without books. have the best of both i think.
  • Options
    I'm doing a computing course and still use books. yes online is always a good resource, but there's nothing like a good text book that ya tutors base ya course round.

Alot of the information found online can be slightly dodgy as well to say the least.

Plus I'd hate to be sat in lectures not looking at printed notes that I can write all over easily and clearly. Oh and I can't revise from printed stuff, has to be in my own writing and I get bored stiffless reading things on my pc so everything gets printed out.

So nop I hate the idea. :p
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    for schoolkids i reckon it would act as too much of a distraction

and what if they got broken? and they would be much more likely to get stolen than a text book!

Well if everyone had one then they'd be less likely to be stolen.

Plus that can be protected with biometriocs such as finger print recognition so it's useless to anyone but the rightful owner.

But so far everyone answering hasn't mentioned the time benefits?

Similar kinds of machines could help kids with their writing and pick up things a teacher might miss because they have 30+ students to look after, whilst the software only has one student to look after.

Such machines could take help teachers in taking the register, a press on the thumb reader whilst in the class would automatically register you in attendence.

I'm of course giving the pic as an example doesn't have to run windows, in fact such a device should be specially designed for the task of education..

such devices could relay what written on the board at the front of the class so they can clearly see what is going on..
  • Options
    And the cost of this scheme?

And they would definately be a target for muggers, its not like everyone in the country will be given one, and even if they did you could still export them and make money.

Its costly, pointless and actually potentially dangerous, reading lots of text on a screen is worse for your eyes than paper and using lap tops is considerably more dangerous in terms of arms, back etc. than using a normal PC.
  • Options
    last year our whole course was online, it was bearable but it drove me up the wall towards the end...saying that we use laptops for everything at uni and i wouldnt know how to live without mine at uni :s