Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

writing in text books

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
do you?
would you?

I just cant bring myself to do it, even though itd probably be helpful. It just feels like vandalism, even though they belong to me.
is this reeeeeallly stupid?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    write it in pencil and dont push down too hard
  • Options
    I'm currently doing an English degree where lots of notes are needed in the texts i read. I can't bear to spoil the book so i write on postit notes and stick them in. :yippe:
  • Options
    I don't write in text books, I wrote in my set texts though.
  • Options
    My text books are covered in highlighter pen and stuff. I find it easier when reading them if you highlight the most important bits. Plus it's more colourful, and that might help you remember it more.
  • Options
    I have trouble with it as well, it feels like I'm ruining the book and making it messy :D
    I think it's all those years of infant school where the teachers would shout at you if you drew in a book, it sort of gets hammered into your brain that it's wrong.
    If I do though, I always write very lightly in pencil and make sure the writing is really small and neat
  • Options
    I'm currently doing an English degree where lots of notes are needed in the texts i read. I can't bear to spoil the book so i write on postit notes and stick them in. :yippe:
    Good thinking. Actually ive seen someone else on my course with postit notes sticking out of all of their books, so im`a gonna get me some of them.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I always used post it notes. They were always stuck everywhere - in books, in my notes, on the desk - everywhere! Hehe. I could never bring myself to write in textbooks either. I hate ruining books and writing in books would be the same as vandalizing them as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    I highlight books that I know I'll be keeping for at least a few years, but if it's a book that I only need for a year then I leave it unmolested so I can sell it on to some first year in september.
  • Options
    I never did it. Until my exams this year. I am so bad with notes, and I noticed i had a much clearer overview of the copypapers I had with notes on them.

I am not proud of it, but as long as it's pencil then I guess it's almost ok.
  • Options
    It's my thoughts that you shouldn't write in any book, even in pencil. If you need to make a note for a section, use a post-it.

If not for any other reason, then not writing stuff in them would help if you want to sell the book later.
  • Options
    Nope, never. it's stupid - especially whn you can sell them :D
  • Options
    I get all of my textbooks provided by the OU and they actually encourage us to recycle them when we're done so I write in them. They're mine so it doesn't really matter, and I wouldn't want to ever sell them as I'll be interested in the topics for years to come.

I wouldn't write in a novel or anything, but a textbook is completely different. I think it's a bit sad to think you "shouldn't" write in a textbook... :eek2:
  • Options
    I only annotate English set texts- if I wrote in the textbooks themselves as opposed to writing the notes down and wrote-learning them I'd get lazy!
  • Options
    in set texts, yes, in other textbooks no, i use a file block for notes always

as for graffitti- ohhh yes :yes: i always desecrate my school texts books with drawings and scribbles, just habit like...
  • Options
    I always sell my books back at the end of the semester and they give you more money if they aren't written in. If I do write in the book I usually write lightly in pencil and then erase it.
  • Options
    do you?
    would you?

I just cant bring myself to do it, even though itd probably be helpful. It just feels like vandalism, even though they belong to me.
    is this reeeeeallly stupid?

you can't vandalise something thats your own though.
    i do it... it is really helpful i find just underlining stuff so next time i read through it my attention is drawn to the specifics.
    but you could always write in pencil or stick post-it notes onto the pages if you don't want to permently mark it in any way.
    having said that though, if you want to sell your textbooks after your course, its probably best you don't write in them! :)
  • Options
    I hate writing in my books. They all look brand new, all I ever do is use post-it notes in mine. Its a strange thing that I have, no matter what books they are, whether for my course or otherwise, I like to keep them looking like new :)
  • Options
    I never wrote in my law textbooks, because there wasn't the room, and it is easier to take notes on paper anyway as writing aids memory. I think you should, though, if it will make it easier for you, I don't think its daft, I scrawled all over my textbooks for English language and history during a'level.
  • Options
    In a lot of textbooks there isn't room to write anything extra without making it cluttered and difficult to read anyways. I will highlight though.
  • Options
    I've never found highlighting useful - just distracting. I know people who seem to highlight 50% of thier notes which really can't be helpful when revising. If somethings important i usually write it out on another sheet as I find writing it again helps me remember it.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    it is really helpful i find just underlining stuff so next time i read through it my attention is drawn to the specifics.

I do this too. I find it much easier to pick on something important the next time I open the book to a certain page. Currently, all my (owned) books are heavily highlighted as I find it easier to just pick the book up nearer exam times and just read the relevant info. I also aim to keep all my books as I never know when they're going to come in handy at a later date I suppose.

My uni (Essex) places heavily emphasis on not highlighting/marking books and I can understand why - it does annoy me when people mark books that don't belong to them :mad:

Andy
  • Options
    The whole concept of writing in/highlighting books was introduced to me in September at the start of my AS level year.

In Sociology we use the textbook every lesson and homework is often to read throuygh a section. Its taken me a long while- but I reckon now that highlighting in one colour peoples names, and in another the key terms and ideas and then writing thoughts or things which spark of ideas in my mind near the side of the page helps.- In the school section there is a study about classroom observation- although not mentioned it immediately made me think of OFSTED; so I whacked that in the side and contributed it when we discussed it in class the next day. When I came to write an essay the idea was still there and so I used it.

I also take comprehensive notes (seem to write reams- but its the only way it sinks in!) throughout the lessons.

Hopefully I'll start using this with A2 work as it took me a while to find out what worked for me.

With regards to english texts; I wish publishers would leave a decent amount of room to annotate set texts and poetry!!!
  • Options
    I write in my books it keeps all my ideas in one place. Whenever I was reading books for my degree I always kept a pencil with me incase I got an idea or didn't understand something so I could look back later.
  • Options
    I hate ruining books, I never write in them and if I absolutely had to it would be in pencil so I could rub it out afterwards. I try not to bend the spine too much either if it if my own book, library books i'm not too fussed about coz they are usually bent already! But writting in books, I dont think I could live with myself lol :eek:
  • Options
    I used pencil to start with, kept running out of space, and started using postit notes, then got confused so decided highlighters pens and postit notes all had to be used!!

but the point of a text book is to help you learn! i always buy my own and i can keep it and do what i want then.
  • Options
    Well I highlight everything I read. When I have reading to do (and as a Law student there sure as hell is enough of it!) I go through it and highlight the pertinent stuff and then go back to the start and write up a set of notes from the highlighted material. I despise note-making from an unmarked book. I find that I always loose my place etc when I look away to write, I just find it altogether easier to follow and make notes quicker when the material is highlighted.
  • Options
    writing in books

I try not to do it. i feel guilty too! It doesnt really matter though, you can still sell them second hand. I sold loads of my slightly highlighted books on www.uni-books.co.uk. That site reopens next week its being redesigned at the mo. Word of advice: highlighting and writing in your book may make you feel bad but try unsticking coffee dried pages, nightmare!.......
  • Options
    i write rubbish in the class textbooks.. but not my own.