Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Live 8 - SMS Text Competition

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
They're saying Live 8 isn't about raising money and the concert is free but to enter it costs £1.50p per Text plus your normal sms cost, wonder how much of that will go towards the costs of the concert.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When are they annoncing the number to text
    8am Monday on all radio stations I think.. And then it's open for a week and you can text as many times as you want.
    radio 1 tomorrow at 8 mr moyles said this morning. might as well have a do
    Oh maybe it's tomorrow then.. It's just it says this on the radio one website:

The text number will be announced at 8am on Monday 6 June 2005 via all UK Radio Stations and BBC Television. No ticket entries will be accepted before that time.

The text line will remain open for 7 days, and 75,000 pairs of tickets will be randomly chosen by computer. There are no limits to the amount of times you can text. Each text costs £1.50 plus your usual network text charge.
    Apparently though you also have to answer some multiple questions
    Yeah, it just said on the TV they'll be revealing the question and number to text at 8am on Monday.
    DiamondGeezer, did he say the point wasn't to raise money? I would have thought the whole point would be to raise money, or is it just awareness?

Personally I don't think £1.50 is too much to pay, and it's an easy way to get people to 'donate' money I think.
    I don't think £1.50 is that bad. Some people will have to pay a heck of a lot more to actually get to the concert.. The Radio1 website or the actual Live 8 website will probably be the best place to find out about the texting and stuff methinx.
    BumbleBee wrote:
    DiamondGeezer, did he say the point wasn't to raise money? I would have thought the whole point would be to raise money, or is it just awareness?

Personally I don't think £1.50 is too much to pay, and it's an easy way to get people to 'donate' money I think.

It was said that it was not an attempt to raise money, yes. The idea is to get the politicians to listen. Which, apparently, they are trying to do by getting 1 million people to descend on Edinburgh. A city which has only one train line going in to it, and is miles away from where the g8 summit is actually going to take place.

Bonkers if you ask me.
    The money from the text messages is going to the Princes Trust because they cancelled their annual concert for Live 8
    film_buff wrote:
    The money from the text messages is going to the Princes Trust because they cancelled their annual concert for Live 8

I'm just interested to know how much of the £1.50 is going to them - hopefully all of it - I know the phone companies usually take a big chunk out of that.
    Read today (ceefaz page 501 - cant find on web yet) that the organisors of Live 8 have been accused of being racist because only one of the acts currently lined up for the British concert comes from a ethnic background. Just cant believe how petty people are becoming about things
    it's highly ironic is it not that the people who are helping to organise these donations (the telephone companies) are going to be getting some money for themselves...some people these days :mad:

anyway, it will raise awarness but not enough, they should do more to actually get people to give a constant supply of money to charities, not some shock event that'll make the worlds eyes open for one second then close for another 10 years, though there is another debate that the money we give is going to corrupt African governments but i don't think that belongs here...
    /puts her work hat on

Just giving more money to charity isn't going to make enough impact on poverty alone. The best way to make people less poor is to increase the livelyhood options avaliable to them (ie different types of jobs they are able to do, the ammount of education they receive, access to better fairer markets for selling thier goods). The best way to achieve this is to change trading rules between us the rich countries and those who are less well of than we are, in order for the poorer countries to protect their economies from being totally destroyed.

Currently the EU is pushing for a new trade agreement which could potentially make millions of africas poorest people even poorer than they are today - which is just crap and they think that they can make it better by throwing a bit more aid money at them, whilst in the long term destroying the only options they have for making any money at all.

/takes work hat off

Though if any of you do get tickets would you consider wearing a lovely make poverty history T-shirt to the event - i can probably supply you with one - if not just a white t-shirt will do.

Tnks
    I'd wear a Make Poverty History t-shirt :yes:

I'd wear it to Pride, and possibly at work the next day if I don't get told off for being political (in the politics section of a bookshop?! Never)!
    Let me know if you get tickets and i'll send you one over - i'll even throw in some free fair trade chocolate

x