Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Parents vow to sterilise son

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it's still something to bear in mind though isn't it?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    it's still something to bear in mind though isn't it?

I think the sterilisation one is facisnating. The world leader analogy is redundant IMO. You could make anyone chose anything with select text like that.
  • Options
    I suspect you'd score well on iq tests. People with IQs between 110 and 120 are highly conscious of status and social-rules. They tend to be a powerful force for social stability.

lol. 165 on the last one I took, but then I rewrote some of the questions. (And so got them wrong :rolleyes: )
    The world leader one is simply select mis-information.

And so is the intelligence test thing. The real difference between "doing well" and not is

1) you have to believe the same values as everyone else. If you don't you are gonna collide, and it really is normally more profitable to just go with the low.

2) you have to be persistent in following your goals. Which smart people don't usually do, intelligence being most of the time the path of least resistence.

Who designs the test, who determines who takes it and who pulls the trigger, smashes the knackers?
  • Options
    The world leader one is simply select mis-information.

Not really. On face value the first two look like complete scumbags who you wouldn't trust. Looking deeper you find that they are possibly two of the greatest men who have lived.

The point is that pre-judging without knowing more gives you a false picture. It's why you say it's misinformation (it isn't, it's selective information) and sterilisation because of what might be, is the same thing IMHO.
  • Options
    I really don't like the whole OMG you just killed Beethoven!!!!111 thing. Incidentally, you can actually buy I Aborted Beethoven T shirts.

Would you recommend sterilisation for the mother of this person?

She would be the youngest of 14 children in an impoverished family, struggling day to day to make ends meet, with an abusive father.

Yes?

Congratulations. You've saved the world from the atrocities of Celine Dion.

Anyone can make up scenarios good or bad relating to whether someone should be aborted/sterilised etc I don't think value should be placed on life out of what a person can/will achieve.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Anyone can make up scenarios good or bad relating to whether someone should be aborted/sterilised etc I don't think value should be placed on life out of what a person can/will achieve.

But it's directly relevant when the argument is about "suffering".

And Celine Dion? Is worth millions...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I tell you what, thinking on it...

It'd be easier to legalise euthanasia, then the person themselves can decide to live or die.
  • Options
    Mate, this person has the mental age of a 6 year old. Think before posting.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I tell you what, thinking on it...

It'd be easier to legalise euthanasia, then the person themselves can decide to live or die.

Suicide is already legal, so such a policy isn't required.
  • Options
    im supposed to have an IQ of 135
  • Options
    i dont see any good reason to sterilise him. I mean it might be preferable for him not to reproduce, but its not really for anyone else to actually go ahead and take that right from him. it would set quite a dangerous precedent for a start.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    im supposed to have an IQ of 135
    relevance??
  • Options
    relevance??

that IQ means jack shit
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    that IQ means jack shit
    lol, ah I see. I thought you were just boasting :p

I dont think its meaningless. Its a good indicator of potential, but obviously its not the only important thing.
  • Options
    People with too high an IQ tend not to have much common sense. I know a lot of people who are highly intelligent, but lack people skills or political nous, and so no matter their intellectual brilliance they're never going to move that far.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    People with too high an IQ tend not to have much common sense. I know a lot of people who are highly intelligent, but lack people skills or political nous, and so no matter their intellectual brilliance they're never going to move that far.

The people you know aren't representative. The idea that intelligent people are all awkward nerds is one of the rare stereotypes without much truth to it. They're probably a little awkward at school when their interests and dispostions are quite different from the rest of us, but as they grow older and create their own more suitable environment they're more comfortable and tend to be more capable socially - and of course are high achievers in the workplace (with exceptions). We remember the awkward kid but don't notice the confident adult (with awkward exceptions - MrG?).
  • Options
    Ultra-intelligent people may not be awkward nerds (as I never said that), but they do tend to be more pie in the sky thinkers and are often poor leaders. too may academic models of governance for example, are unworkable.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Ultra-intelligent people may not be awkward nerds (as I never said that), but they do tend to be more pie in the sky thinkers and are often poor leaders. too may academic models of governance for example, are unworkable.

I'll find some reports that say different, when I get the time. I certainly know that the US army which is the major collector of iq data, and relies on iq tests for an awful lot of recruitment and job placement issues, considers high iq candidates more capable leaders. :thumb:
  • Options
    I'll find some reports that say different, when I get the time. I certainly know that the US army which is the major collector of iq data, and relies on iq tests for an awful lot of recruitment and job placement issues, considers high iq candidates more capable leaders.

And what do the US army look for in an individual primarily?

The thing about high IQ is that it relies on hallucination more than anything else. My favourite bugbear about language not being experience is hardest to get accross to intelligent people, which is why the army etc are looking for them, they will never escape their prison on their own, and they are hard work to remove if someone else tries it.
  • Options
    yes and the US army is crap Some of the US officers I met would not have been made corporal in my old regiment (though to be fair there were also some very good ones).
  • Options
    Yea you're right that the army want certain types - they exclude the lowest scorers altogether, want capable conformists (110-120) for most roles, and higher scorers for leadership roles coz they find it works. They're very ruthless - if it didn't work they'd ditch it. Psychometrics isn't everything but it does what it says it will.

The highest iq scorers are more able to understand abstract ideas than the lower scorers Klintock.
  • Options
    The highest iq scorers are more able to understand abstract ideas than the lower scorers Klintock.

Yeah, but ask yourself why and you get a surprising answer....
  • Options
    In most cases the highest IQ scorers would fail RCB, as they lack the really important leadership skills, of which when trying to get a small group of men to cross ground crisscrossed with enemy fire intelligence is very low.

Generals may have higher IQs than privates, but very, very few of them are off the highest IQ
  • Options
    On face value the first two look like complete scumbags who you wouldn't trust. Looking deeper you find that they are possibly two of the greatest men who have lived.

On face value those first two are presented as possibly two of the greatest men who ever lived.Looking deeper you find that they are complete scumbags who you wouldn`t trust(depending on what constitutes "great man" and "complete scumbag",of course ;) ).

The point is that pre-judging without knowing more gives you a false picture.

I agree.

seeker
  • Options
    those are parents are evil facists

why dont they kill themselves cause they carry the genes too :rolleyes:
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    In most cases the highest IQ scorers would fail RCB, as they lack the really important leadership skills, of which when trying to get a small group of men to cross ground crisscrossed with enemy fire intelligence is very low.

Yea I can see how it would help to be stupid in circumstances like that. :lol:

What are you on?
  • Options
    Yea I can see how it would help to be stupid in circumstances like that. :lol:

What are you on?

Lucky we have stupidity then or else you might be speaking German