Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I love irony....

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Foolish, but let's not be distracted from the message.

Make Poverty History
  • Options
    I can't see the irony.
    Clearly the government imposed minimum wage is too high to be competitive. Clearly the factory is paying at least as much as the workers will accept.
  • Options
    I can't see the irony.
    Clearly the government imposed minimum wage is too high to be competitive. Clearly the factory is paying at least as much as the workers will accept.
    The campaign is to make pverty history, not to make unemployment history.

Are you happy with the state of the developing world?
  • Options
    I would imagine the wage they are getting lifts them from poverty.

I'm not happy with the state of the developing :rolleyes: world because I think that your development means destroying cultures, families and environments.

Vandana Shiva, The Ecologist
  • Options
    Oh dear. Us and them?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Are you happy with the state of the developing world?

Not hugely, but is working in a factory 7 days a week better or worse than 7 days in a rice field?
  • Options
    I'm afraid 'us and them' is going to be with us for a time yet. Natural resources are finite, we should be heading in their direction of less consumption and production - not the reverse. :no:
  • Options
    Make Poverty History - lovely slogan pity its utter tripe. Delusional people might take it on board but to me its like saying the moon is made of cheese, a nice thought but so far removed from reality as to be a meaningless con trick.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Make Poverty History - lovely slogan pity its utter tripe. Delusional people might take it on board but to me its like saying the moon is made of cheese, a nice thought but so far removed from reality as to be a meaningless con trick.

Why?

Because people like you wouldn't be able to exploit people to get a bit more cash?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Renzo wrote:
    Why?

Because people like you wouldn't be able to exploit people to get a bit more cash?

That would be why Rich Kid doesn't like it. Its Anti-Capitalist.

Its a joke that they don't get minimum wage really. Make Poverty History, except the workers we employ.

The Idea is a good one. Practiced badly.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    That would be why Rich Kid doesn't like it. Its Anti-Capitalist.

Its a joke that they don't get minimum wage really. Make Poverty History, except the workers we employ.

The Idea is a good one. Practiced badly.

they became a bloody fashion statement sod all else which is hwy people were buying them off ebay :lol: what mugs

i dont have 1 though i just give my money to big issue people and charity box people, cause they stand on the streets getting zero pay for collecting money unlike chuggers
  • Options
    I can't see the irony.

You really don't have a clue do you?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I know of an East European gentleman who, together with his two brothers and sister make a very comfortable living from Big Issue, enough to drive a fleet of decent cars - good luck to them I say, if people want to stand in the street looking mournful and people give them a few quid for what is to all intents and purpose a harmless rag, then its a nice little earner for them.

Yes of course you do. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes of course you do. :rolleyes:
    Meaning what Blaggy?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Meaning what Blaggy?

I'm agreeing with you. Of course you know someone who backs up every racist bullshit stereotype you adhere to, of course you do.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    you know someone who backs up every racist bullshit stereotype you adhere to, of course you do.
    Where's that come from Blaggy?
  • Options
    I can't think where that might possibly have come from. It's not like you made a point of stating the racial group of the person, and its not like that particular racial group is stereotyped as bent free-loading scum.

Why aren't you banned yet?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Where's that come from Blaggy?

Sorry, i should have said racist stereotypes and stereotypes about the homeless. It comes from you, you twonk.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I know of an East European gentleman who, together with his two brothers and sister make a very comfortable living from Big Issue, enough to drive a fleet of decent cars - good luck to them I say, if people want to stand in the street looking mournful and people give them a few quid for what is to all intents and purpose a harmless rag, then its a nice little earner for them.

you are a fucking idiot. people sell these things BECAUSE THEY ARE FUCKING HOMELESS YOU CUNT.
  • Options
    Yes, selling the big issue at gunpoint for £500 a mag.
  • Options
    Originally Posted by Rich Kid

Big Issue venders earn 70p per magazine they sell in London... How can somebody make a comfortable living off that?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    For someone who claims to be a Christian you show appalling lack of faith coupled with complete disregard for what your Lord taught.

Jesus would be proud of you.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Because...?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    For someone who claims to be a Christian you show appalling lack of faith coupled with complete disregard for what your Lord taught.

Jesus would be proud of you.

So true.

How Capitlists pretend to be Christian is beyond me. Then again, Catholic Church anyone?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    What's a good slogan then?
  • Options
    I do rather like the Christian Aid campaign, which I believe is linked to the 'Make Poverty History' their call for the reform of trade rules in particular is well over due.

Rich Kid, what would you like to see change to help Africa?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    It really amazes me how you little band of left-wingers over-react at the slightest mention of "success". The "success" I'm talking about is the success gained through hard work and endeavour by a small family group who started with nothing and have now achieved something.
    Because I praise this entrepreneurship I'm accused of racial stereotyping, a favourite left-wing Orwellian PC phrase that is used to stifle honest open debate, and for this I am threatened with being banned. For the record I prefer people to do something rather than simply collect benefits, and these people, with all the hardship and problems they've had to overcome have succeeded and I applaud their tenacity.
    Some people on here obviously don't like entrepreneurship they'd rather keep people locked into State-controlled benefits.
    Rich Kid, what would you like to see change to help Africa?
    For Africa as a continent get rid of its evil corrupt dictators who are the parasites of the African people, and introduce freedom and democracy as a means of establishing clean efficient government that can then be helped in a meaningful way, rather than just headline grabbing PR stunts.
  • Options
    And what would you do in the meantime? Until that happens?

You have the option of either supporting the many NGOs working hard there, and save the lives of literally millions of people, or jump into the selfish hard right wing wandwagon of "not point in giving money until they sort themselves out down there".

What do you do?

A) Do you contribute towards saving millions of people?

B) Or do you let them starve to death and keep your lovely banknotes safely tucked in your pocket?

You claim to be a Christian. What option do you think Jesus Christ would like you to choose?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    For Africa as a continent get rid of its evil corrupt dictators who are the parasites of the African people, and introduce freedom and democracy as a means of establishing clean efficient government that can then be helped in a meaningful way, rather than just headline grabbing PR stunts.

And you would like to see this achieved how? Perhaps we could force regime change on the whole continent?
  • Options
    Rich kid its our fault Africa is the way it is anyway. i don't see how punishing the African people because of their governments is going to help.