Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the rise of pseudo-science

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
after reading a tabloid review of that new film out, thats apparantly a documentary, which is as close to a documentary as that film u-571 :lol:

anyway i think this rise of 'alternative science' - basically filling the holes in that we dont know with faith based crap is due to a lack of people understanding what science is, which isnt technically the end results, but its the method of gaining knowledge by mathematical modelling and logical mix of isolating variables to test effectiveness of hypotheses

for example, homeopathy - its never been proven to work, apart from one 'experiment', which whenever its been carried out again (hundreds of times) fails, so the person who done it orignally done a bad experiment as you cant reproduce the results, so for all we know it wasnt the 'homeopathy' that done it

or saying theres things in nature which cant be explained by natural selection, means evolution never happened, when natural selection as a theory only explains part fo what happens over periods of time, and theres probably other things that happen to

just because we dont knwo why something happens yet, doesnt mean theres a higher being behind it, it just means we're yet unable to hypothesis

religion didnt get you your fridge or car, thermodynamics and mechanics did

slightly useful link: http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/pseudo.html - not the best but still

Comments

• Options
    religion didnt get you your fridge or car, thermodynamics and mechanics did

I quite agree. Rational thought is a wonderful thing.

One problem we have these day is that most actual "science" doesn't follow these rules either. Funded by corporate bodies well aware of the power of a media run on a science article from someone with a fucked up alphabet after their name, most modern science starts with a conclusion and then adjusts the data to fit, or is sent down discrete lines by those who fund it.

Also, to take another example, medicine isn't a science. It's a methodology based on looking for "what's wrong". For a drug to get passed, it will have to work on a percentage of people, but no drug works for everyone, as any packet of paracetemol will tell you.
    for example, homeopathy - its never been proven to work

This simply isn't the case. Because of the placebo effect, homeopathy will work on a percentage of people who believe that it will work on them. Placebo's are actually the most effective drugs in exisitence, which is kind of a mad thought, innit?
  • Options
    I love pseudo science, it's such a load of shit :lol: espsecially astrology. but then I may be slightly biased, seeing as I'm doing a degree in physics :p
  • Options
    Science is the panacea is it?

If homeopathy works, try it. Forget the 'evidence' for it.
  • Options
    Accupuncture. Only just got any evidence for it, but it's been used instead of anethetic (sp?) in china, there must be something behind it.
  • Options
    Magnetic stones or any such piece of rubble or jewellery claimed to 'pick up good energy' or channel away 'bad energy'.

Ditto various hanging objects to put outside your door pointing at some direction.

I honestly can't fucking believe people fall for such bullshit.
  • Options
    Honestly, I think that it must be a really flat world to have to wait for the evidence.
  • Options
    Send me £50 and I'll tell you how to make a million. No need to wait for the evidence, so don't delay, send it straight away!
  • Options
    helpful and insightful as ever.
  • Options
    Some things can be written down to the placebo effect, but for example acupunture as was mentioned does have proven results, when the method is still questionable.
    My grandmother got that, and she was more or less "forced" by my dad, yet it did have a positive effect on her.
  • Options
    i think a lot of people delude themselves into believing this shit works, it's like they're clinging to the "spiritual" side...i'm more pragmatic, i need hard evidence that something actually works, though it doesn't mean i'm not interested in these ways of treatment or discount it's therepuedic advantages
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Some things can be written down to the placebo effect, but for example acupunture as was mentioned does have proven results, when the method is still questionable.
    My grandmother got that, and she was more or less "forced" by my dad, yet it did have a positive effect on her.

to my knowledge acupunture has some benefits technically too, just becuase someone believes it works doesnt mean we should fund it for example

show me a reliable scientific study where homeopathy has be shown to work in a mass volunteer controlled sample test which can be repeated

in making this thread i was on about other things as well as medicinal 'alternative's' which havent gone through medical trials
  • Options
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

yes and reading the small bit at bottom most news reports tend to ignore is that, it was a 14 person smaple, and theres plenty of experiment to show it doesnt work
  • Options
    yes and reading the small bit at bottom most news reports tend to ignore is that, it was a 14 person smaple, and theres plenty of experiment to show it doesnt work
    It's only fair to give us a source for that assertion. ;)
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Send me £50 and I'll tell you how to make a million. No need to wait for the evidence, so don't delay, send it straight away!
    Is there any evidence to support your job?

There's none for CPNs as far as I know.
  • Options
    A fundamental 'rule' in any science is never rule out any possibility. There are just too many unknowns, from the relevent to the bizarre. It's possible that magnetic stones only work when the planets are in alignment, for example :p I'm not saying they do, just making a point. All through scientific history you will see where the unlikely or the crazy has been proved right. If people claim it's working for them then surely there is a precendent there that maybe it does work?

I think alternative therapys need to be developed a lot more, we are still in a relatively barbaric age, we cut people up like bits of meat to cure them, and with anything major it's not normally that successful. It is my opinion and possibly always will be that you need to spend time and resources on both improving treatments / science that has already been discovered, but you also need to spend time and resources on developing new treatments and new discoveries.

Of course, I don't agree with 'filling in the blanks' method, though it's an interesting way of coming up with new hypothosese (sp?). I am always suspicious of modern science though when it is said to be so infallible, from the days of the 'medicine man', to the Greek and Roman four humours / Galen, to middle age leeches, to todays surgery, it's all just been a development which has rendered what came before obselete, I'm pretty sure that modern surgery will follow this route and with it a lot of our beliefs about how the human body works.
  • Options
    I'm sure I read somewhere that in the dark ages, using medicines was seen as heathen whereas people were encouraged to pray for somebody's healing...

Homeopathy I'm not an expert in (you don't seem to be too well up on it either mate, no offense), but I will vouch for herbalism even if it isn't the sort of thing perscribed by a doctor.

Ahh yes, the same doctors that perscribed Seroxat from the same pharmacutical company that surpressed information about how dangerous the drug is. Yet we trust these people...

No, I'm not saying that if you are diagnosed with cancer you should go and have a nice reiki session to clear it up, but why are people so intolerant of other people's beliefs? I mean even if these therapies have merely a placebo effect then it show's further the body's ability to heal itself without the use of medicines that often have side effects.
  • Options
    I'm sure I read somewhere that in the dark ages, using medicines was seen as heathen whereas people were encouraged to pray for somebody's healing...

Homeopathy I'm not an expert in (you don't seem to be too well up on it either mate, no offense), but I will vouch for herbalism even if it isn't the sort of thing perscribed by a doctor.

Ahh yes, the same doctors that perscribed Seroxat from the same pharmacutical company that surpressed information about how dangerous the drug is. Yet we trust these people...

No, I'm not saying that if you are diagnosed with cancer you should go and have a nice reiki session to clear it up, but why are people so intolerant of other people's beliefs? I mean even if these therapies have merely a placebo effect then it show's further the body's ability to heal itself without the use of medicines that often have side effects.

let me argue this point by point

- galileo im not sure about however lots of people had logical reasons why the world was round, the only reason the curch supressed it was because it went against them, no other reason, this isnt the same thing, if you can find a valid experiment that has been repeated to show the same positive effect for a alternative medicine then ill believe you

ys i think positive thinking has an effect, but you dont need to pay someone to do a stupid routine to make you think positive

and incompetant doctors, well it was mainly the drug company heavily marketing it that caused the problems, if the medication was used as it was intended ie a chemical method of not worrying so much so you can focus on what is causing your problems then it would be okay, that is extremely different from someone pushing to sell something that is in now way been proved to worked, even if you are unsure how it works which is perfectly possible

homeopathy i know quite a bit about actually, and it is effectively having a non-pharmocolical effect dosage of a plant extract, which isnt even proved towork, and every experiement bar one (which only worked once and is reckoned they cheated on) has failed to show any effects

i know there are things we dont understand, however there are ways of proving whether methods work even if you dont know why yet, which is acutally how chemistry got started as a subject from alchemy, which then later meged in with physics as it appeared to be physics on a larger scale, and on a larger scale thermodynamics and statistical mechanics

read my link at first page

and yes in many way im doubting youre beliefs im not being intolerant however, believe faith-based garbage if you want just dont claim it has a basis for logical proof

ps - sorry been pub bad spelling
  • Options
    A fundamental 'rule' in any science is never rule out any possibility. There are just too many unknowns, from the relevent to the bizarre. It's possible that magnetic stones only work when the planets are in alignment, for example :p I'm not saying they do, just making a point. All through scientific history you will see where the unlikely or the crazy has been proved right. If people claim it's working for them then surely there is a precendent there that maybe it does work?

yes you do not rule out impossibility, i know anything can happen if you do not knwo what will happen 100%, however there are methods of confirming whether it is that which is donig the desired effect or something else, its called a controlled experiment, the only reason in the past things were called crazy was because of faith-based establishments that had no basis for their arguments to say it was crazy other than a book supposedly written by whomever hundreds of years ago, in all fairness people liek to hear what can contemplate, and well for example if i had no idea of mathematics, id believe anything could make plants revolve around sun, and relativity would seem stupid, how it is relativity that almost exactly predicts the fluctuations in mercurys orbit which newtons gravitiational rules dont work
    I think alternative therapys need to be developed a lot more, we are still in a relatively barbaric age, we cut people up like bits of meat to cure them, and with anything major it's not normally that successful. It is my opinion and possibly always will be that you need to spend time and resources on both improving treatments / science that has already been discovered, but you also need to spend time and resources on developing new treatments and new discoveries.
    the peopel who push the forms of alternative science im on about dont use scientific methods thus it snt even a science. do you hear of people or organisations who push for this sort of stuff to be experimentally proved, no they rely on blind faith that it works, read the link i provide on the 'research' done and that can sum up quite a lot
    Of course, I don't agree with 'filling in the blanks' method, though it's an interesting way of coming up with new hypothosese (sp?). I am always suspicious of modern science though when it is said to be so infallible, from the days of the 'medicine man', to the Greek and Roman four humours / Galen, to middle age leeches, to todays surgery, it's all just been a development which has rendered what came before obselete, I'm pretty sure that modern surgery will follow this route and with it a lot of our beliefs about how the human body works.
    theres a difference between hypotheses and reliable evidence, a hypothesis is a statement which you set out to see if it is true or not using known observational facts and observations with an open mind

modern science, what do you mean, the methods of modern science are exremely reliable, science is a method, not the end results, and the endresults constantly change, ive got the 8th edition of a book made in the 70s, cause that much has been shown to be different in 30 years from the general case, even if just slightly different
  • Options
    show me a reliable scientific study where homeopathy has be shown to work in a mass volunteer controlled sample test which can be repeated

Would it matter if someone invented one for you so you believed implicitly in the treatment? If you believe in it and then it works because you believe in it, then Doc's should be working around the clock to understand belief.
    if you can find a valid experiment that has been repeated to show the same positive effect for a alternative medicine then ill believe you

You are going to struggle to find one I reckon, just like you would struggle to find the early church trying to validate Galileo's conclusions. Not that this means alternative remedies work, only that they get dismissed as quackery and then not investigated, which may or may not be a shame.
    ys i think positive thinking has an effect, but you dont need to pay someone to do a stupid routine to make you think positive

That's you though, everyone knows someone who believes what they are told if it's from a "credible source" ;)
    and yes in many way im doubting youre beliefs im not being intolerant however, believe faith-based garbage if you want just dont claim it has a basis for logical proof

Given what else I usually post about on here, no comment.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Would it matter if someone invented one for you so you believed implicitly in the treatment? If you believe in it and then it works because you believe in it, then Doc's should be working around the clock to understand belief.

which is why i dispice peoples attidue to anti depressants, they do not 'cure' your depression, they are just a treatment, and part of it, that stop your brain from responding to horomones that make you feel bad so you can sort out the root cause so less will be made by your attitude

belif is usful, it can only help so much, as in painkillling and a few immune responses, but you cant do that for everyone, thats what psychiatrists are there for ;) (who i hate with a passion)
    You are going to struggle to find one I reckon, just like you would struggle to find the early church trying to validate Galileo's conclusions. Not that this means alternative remedies work, only that they get dismissed as quackery and then not investigated, which may or may not be a shame.

a recent example is the guy who believes in cold fusion, yes it might be possible,however his experiment fails everytime, as its observatiosn are too vague, and i highly doubt he has suceeded and from what i read of him, he doesnt seem too interested in getting a real experiment done that can measure neutron counts, it is just the cheap route out of full on research in real fusion
    That's you though, everyone knows someone who believes what they are told if it's from a "credible source" ;)

Given what else I usually post about on here, no comment.

you always interesting comments to a discussion :)

ps on a side note, in my lectures at uni, numerous times, we are told "this si not fact, we'll never see this with our eyes, for all we know atoms could be cubes, however we will never know and the best mathematical way of desribing them that fits all the observations we can makes is to assume spherical-ness which then still needs electrons orbitals when you apply quantum mechanics which then explains 99.9999999999% of chemical reactions"
  • Options
    ps - sorry been pub bad spelling

Believe me, there is no difference to your usual spelling.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Believe me, there is no difference to your usual spelling.

: :flirt:
  • Options
    I'm not saying it's my beliefs firstly... But that a lot of holistics do branch from religious ideas... In particular in this day and age, Eastern medicine.
    You shouldn't need to pay to think positive but by the way we're conditioned by society (i.e. to depend on corrupt pharmacutical companies and keep the rich wealthy), we seem to have the need to take these tablets to make ourselves feel better. Again, tablets which often aren't that good for us... Now if somebody heals themself even if it is because of a placebo effect or positive thinking... Is that not a good thing?

Does it not open a door way for a whole new band of research? That is... If the government wouldn't consider it too risky.
    and incompetant doctors, well it was mainly the drug company heavily marketing it that caused the problems, if the medication was used as it was intended ie a chemical method of not worrying so much so you can focus on what is causing your problems then it would be okay, that is extremely different from someone pushing to sell something that is in now way been proved to worked, even if you are unsure how it works which is perfectly possible

But the thing is, people don't push to sell. If people want holistic treatment then they pay for it.

homeopathy i know quite a bit about actually, and it is effectively having a non-pharmocolical effect dosage of a plant extract,

You could use the same definition for herbalism, something else which has been used for years. Is this a pseudoscience?
  • Options
    Johann Hari has written an excellent article on the subject of that film, and the rise of relativism allowing quasi-science to become acceptable.

http://johannhari.com/archive/article.php?id=617
  • Options
    Johann Hari is an arrogant little tosspot.

Ill still read the article though.
  • Options
    modern science, what do you mean

Sorry, I should have made this clear, I mean our current understanding of the world. Which as you rightly pointed out changes every single year. I don't care much for the attitude you encounter sometimes that because it is the most up to date science that it's infallible.

And modern medicine is reliable depending how you define reliable. What about in Star Wars when you can drop someone in a bacta tank and heal them from death practically. I still think medicine has a long long way to go and still believe we are in a 'barbaric' age. People still die from infection caused from open surgery and being in a hospital.

I envision a time where you'll have a little cubicle which will be a shower come bed come medical thing where even if you've just had your leg blown off you can just go for a nice rest listening to your favourite music or tv programme and wake up with your leg back :p.

Ok, I may sound insane, but I'm trying to push a point ;). And I think a misconception you may have is that a lot of people do it without scientific methods, whereas acupuncture is 'voodoo' as far as a lot of western civilization is concerned but hundreds of years of scientific study has gone into it. I agree that some people who push things such as faith healing where you touch someone or something and are healed form a different branch of the big medical tree.
  • Options
    And modern medicine is reliable depending how you define reliable.

And all alternative remedies are reliable depending on how you define reliable too. ;)

If by reliable you mean has worked for "x" percentage of people and might work for you, we reckon, then yeah. Take away the starting presumption that any two people are exactly the same and the whole thing looks decidedly dodgy.

It's a very very wacky premise, when you think about it. If procedure "x" is done on a hundred people and 80 of them get better, then it's assumed that you will have a 8 in 10 chance of the procedure "x" being a success. Obvious bollocks. Think about it.
    Which as you rightly pointed out changes every single year. I don't care much for the attitude you encounter sometimes that because it is the most up to date science that it's infallible.

Yeah I agree. Too many times we get theory minus data, or conclusion or inference, minus the data. Then new "research" is done based on old research. What you can get is a huge inverted pyramid of thinking that can fall over at any moment. A bit like you study the field of politics from the point of view of "nation" or "class" or "race" when those things don't exist, and some madman comes along and wipes out every thought you have ever had on those lines by showing your starting assumptions were bollocks.

Bear in mind that the entirety of some sciences should have been restructured after Einstein, but wasn't. (yet)
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Bear in mind that the entirety of some sciences should have been restructured after Einstein, but wasn't. (yet)

you cant cause relativity and quantum theory in their own way work, cannt blend them together as we know we know it though to explain quantum gravity, which is why a planck second is the smallest division of time you can do mathematical stuff with
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Is there any evidence to support your job?

There's none for CPNs as far as I know.

Eh? :confused: There's our monthly stats that record how many referrals we get, how many assessments we do, how many people we get into Jobcentre provision, specialist provision, FE/HE or employment. We also monitor to see if the jobs are sustained. So yes, there is.