Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

law obiding teen fights dispersal orders

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    read my post, the park im talking about has just been upgraded at a huge cost. Right next door there is a youthy. There are many clubs opening up in my area for teens but its more fun going to the park and not letting the little kids have a go of the rides.

sorry i didn't get to read that...maybe in your area but there's nothing much for me to do...
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    I did say it was a childrens park, not aimed at teenagers.

So? Should we have sectioned off places for each generation then? Whatever happened to their rights?
    How do you know I was in no danger ?

What happened to you then?

At any time, did you actually face any threat, or was it just your fear which drove you to leave. There is a difference and in part you fear is likely to have been unfounded.
    under age drinkers, drinking in a public place.....you'd agree with that ? Cos I certainly dont.

No I don't agree with underage drinking. But it isn't my responsibility, it's their parents responsibility.

Again, why is their drinking a reason for them not to be allowed to congregate in a specific area?
    Go about 6oo yards further down the road to the area aimed at teens. They have just spent thousands upgrading the whole park yet the teenagers still insist on playing around on the swings which are aimed at 10 and under.

The area im talking about has a new skateboard ramp, bigger climbing things, benches so they can sit and swill their booze down.

Do you know if anyone asked them if this is what they wanted?

And does this park then negate their right to go any where else?
    Why should I have to be in a childrens park with teens swearing their head off ? Would you think it a good idea for me to ask them to curb their language infront of my Daughter ?
    I can use language so dont get me wrong but there is a time and place for everything and I never use language infront of my Daughter or any other child and I expect the same from others.

Yes you should ask. Why should they be polite, if you aren't? Why should they have respect for you, if you want them banned from the site?

It works both ways and I do think that the older generation needs to set an example, at the moment we are just showing contempt and we deserve that back.
  • Options
    Obviously all groups of young people are out to attack you, and it isn't paranoid at all to believe all the drivel that the Daily HateMail spouts off.

BeckyBoo, why should your unfounded fear impact on anyone else's freedom? I'm terrified of women over the age of 30 with a pre-teenaged daughter in tow, should they be banned from the park too?

If the older generations continually look down on, and patronise youngsters, then youngester will live down to their reputation. Why be a good to people when all that happens is they throw it back in your face?

If all they are doing is having a drink and saying "fuck" a lot then so what? We have gangs of kids opposite out house, and they've never done anything to us except ask for lights. When I've had a light I've given them one, big deal.

If I had a child and they introduiced a curfew where I lived, then that child and his/her friends would be under strict instructions to go out every night and congregate in terrifying groups.
  • Options
    nah you are getting it all wrong, the reason i felt intimidated was the fact that they had ALCOHOL so lets just get that straight. I do not feel intimidated by every teenager, but on this occasion I did so im sorry if you think im some kind of fucking idiot cos i did feel intimidated but I cant help how I felt. They had alcohol and we all know what alcohol can do to some people.

and if I had my way then kids drinking alcohol in public places would have the alcohol confiscated and then they would be taken back home to let the parents know what they had been doing. If my Daughter was in the park drinking then I'd wanna know about it...........end of tbh.

when you have a young child then come back and tell me that you dont mind teenagers saying : Come here ya fucking fat cunt, your a fucking wanker, you are a fucking fat bastard, what do you call that dickhead who shagged that fucking ugly Shazza in the dunes last weeketc etc etc...........unless of course you dont mind your kid going to school repeating things to the teacher. Our Becks is of the age where she knows its wrong but there was a couple of younger ones who could hear what was being said.

anyways ive had my say, let someone else talk.
  • Options
    Why you felt intimidated is irrelevant. You felt intimidated without the gang of teenagers giving you any direct reason to be so, therefore your fear was unjustified, therefore preventing kids from being outside because you have an irrational fear is grossly unfair.

The irony of all these curfews is that, on one hand, the government want kids playing outside so that they aren't all the size of buses, but on the other hand we can't have too many of them playing out because someone might be scared by their hoodies.

Kids drinking alcohol can, and do, have it confiscated, FYI.
  • Options
    How is it unreasonable to expect people in front of young children to not say fuck. Its not a big deal for people to control their language. Unless of course Kermit your children when your older will be taught the use of the word "fuck" before they even go to a park?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Kids drinking alcohol can, and do, have it confiscated, FYI.

Only if they are caught and only if we have bobbies on the beat......which we have very little of, so in reality only a minority get it confisctaed.
  • Options
    How is it unreasonable to expect people in front of young children to not say fuck. Its not a big deal for people to control their language. Unless of course Kermit your children when your older will be taught the use of the word "fuck" before they even go to a park?
    I agree. Whilst there is an argument for allowing kids to do whatever they like in public places (and that is a reasonable position to take), there is also the consideration of other potential users (what you might call 'stakeholders') of these parks/shopping centres etc.

I think being intimidated is a legitimate concern, and those who are belittling that feeling have either never experienced it, or are totally heartless.

Children's play areas are designed for the use of children. If those children or their parents do not feel safe to use these parks then something ought to be done.

To be frank, I think these youths enjoy the feeling of power they get through intimidating others. It's a form of control and may well be expression of their lack of control in other areas of their lives.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Kentish wrote:
    I think being intimidated is a legitimate concern, and those who are belittling that feeling have either never experienced it, or are totally heartless.

If they are actually behaving in an intimidating way then fair enough. But feeling intimidated just becuase they're mucking about in groups, swearing amongst each other and doing nothing else but being loud kids then it's your problem.
    You know how to solve it - give these kids something to do.

If I had kids I'd far rather they were be out with people their own age and learning social skills than stuck at home watching TV or playing a computer.

It's stupid really - the government sells all the playing fields and then wages a war on youths hanging around in groups with nothing else to do.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    If they are actually behaving in an intimidating way then fair enough. But feeling intimidated just becuase they're mucking about in groups, swearing amongst each other and doing nothing else but being loud kids then it's your problem.
    True enough.
    If I had kids I'd far rather they were be out with people their own age and learning social skills than stuck at home watching TV or playing a computer.
    Yes and no. They can learn social skills form playing with their friends - inside or out. If I was a parent, I'd want to know that my kids were safe and were not causing a nuisance and drinking cider in the park of an evening. But that is often the problem - inadequate parenting.
    You know how to solve it - give these kids something to do.
    It's stupid really - the government sells all the playing fields and then wages a war on youths hanging around in groups with nothing else to do.
    There are plenty of parks. These kids aren't playing footie and making dens in the woods - they're drinking and vandalising. They make that choice.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

Unfair.

Being intimidated for a reson, becuase someone's actions represent a threat is one thing. Being intimidated because someone is using public facilities is another.

Fear is the driver here, fear which has been created without reason (in most cases) but the media.

We should have a very good reason to deny someone their rights, and this isn't it.
    Children's play areas are designed for the use of children. If those children or their parents do not feel safe to use these parks then something ought to be done.

I agree.

Banning orders isn't the answer though.
    To be frank, I think these youths enjoy the feeling of power they get through intimidating others. It's a form of control and may well be expression of their lack of control in other areas of their lives.

I agree here.

So why look to banning, rather than in addressing the real issue which you describe.

FYI As a teenager, I used to spend most of my evening hanging around the local rec. I defy anyone to say that they didn't.
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    nah you are getting it all wrong, the reason i felt intimidated was the fact that they had ALCOHOL so lets just get that straight. I do not feel intimidated by every teenager, but on this occasion I did so im sorry if you think im some kind of fucking idiot cos i did feel intimidated but I cant help how I felt. They had alcohol and we all know what alcohol can do to some people.

and if I had my way then kids drinking alcohol in public places would have the alcohol confiscated and then they would be taken back home to let the parents know what they had been doing. If my Daughter was in the park drinking then I'd wanna know about it...........end of tbh.

when you have a young child then come back and tell me that you dont mind teenagers saying : Come here ya fucking fat cunt, your a fucking wanker, you are a fucking fat bastard, what do you call that dickhead who shagged that fucking ugly Shazza in the dunes last weeketc etc etc...........unless of course you dont mind your kid going to school repeating things to the teacher. Our Becks is of the age where she knows its wrong but there was a couple of younger ones who could hear what was being said.

anyways ive had my say, let someone else talk.

:confused: as i have already stated, drunk teenagers are all talk, i mean all talk, there is no reason to feel physically threatened by a group of teen drinkers, you know the saying "sticks and stones etc etc", you really do need to have a mental condition to physically attack a woman in the park while walking her daughter and thats the truth, i don't want to sound patronising but i am a teenager who knows what the craic is with teens, they will not physically attack anyone...second off...where did they get this language from, TV?, their parents?, maybe you should start blaming them instead of the young people, respect is a two way thing, there needs to be co-operation between both sides...at this moment i see no progress...it's always been like this
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    There are plenty of parks. These kids aren't playing footie and making dens in the woods - they're drinking and vandalising. They make that choice.

erm i don't think thats a choice they make naturally...i mean do you really think them teens were born to drink and vandalise...i can almost garauntee that at least one teen out of that group has been abused or neglected by their parents, or one of their parents are alcoholics, i can garauntee that that teen drinks and vandalises because of his anger and alienation from life and i can garaintee that he brings the rest of his mates down because of this, teens are impressionable, they'll do what the "coolest" kid is doing, if thats drinking in a childs park then so be...why blame them..seriously thoiugh why would ya blame them...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    seriously thoiugh why would ya blame them...
    There's a difference between not blaming them and just letting them do whatever they want.

I agree with you about the social problems, and as I said before, these should be the targets of our wrath, not the kids themselves.

However, that doesn't help with the immediate problem and I do think ordinary people have valid concerns.
  • Options
    Theres a big difference between mucking about swearing and mucking about swearing in front of much younger children.
  • Options
    Fear is the driver here, fear which has been created without reason (in most cases) by the media.
    Of course you're right, but that isn't really the point. It makes no difference to BeckyBoo where the fear was planted in her mind as she strolls through the park.
    We should have a very good reason to deny someone their rights, and this isn't it.
    Yep. Innocent until proven guilty is fine, but what about when they are proven guilty? Are banning orders ever appropriate?
    FYI As a teenager, I used to spend most of my evening hanging around the local rec. I defy anyone to say that they didn't.
    Parks are there for kids to play in! Of course groups of young people will hang out there. But when they cause problems for others then their rights to do so will not be absolute.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Of course you're right, but that isn't really the point. It makes no difference to BeckyBoo where the fear was planted in her mind as she strolls through the park.

But it does make a difference to the kids who right to free movement may be curtailed.
    Yep. Innocent until proven guilty is fine, but what about when they are proven guilty? Are banning orders ever appropriate?

Guilt in "court of law" is a different matter.
  • Options
    If you make the case more extreme, in a family pub whre you've got some middle aged men drinking and swearing, climbing all over the climbing frames for toddlers, is that ok? I think both the parents and children would be intimidated. But the men are just drinking and swearing, they're not setting out to be intimidating - but they are. I don't think in this day and age you can just go out and say "If I don't have the intention to be intimidating then it's ok" because other people do matter. Anyone with a sense of social conciounce and decency would realise when they were intimidating others and would try to tone it done. I've been walking along sometimes and just because I'm 17 I suppose you get people avoiding eye contact and such, but I just flash them a quick smile and they smile back and that's that.
  • Options

Oh for goodness' sake, I'm surprised you can breathe with your nostrils that far up your own bottom.

It isn't very nice to listen to people swearing profusely, but so what? The word "fuck" isn't going to leave you face down in a gutter with a knife in your back. A ten-year-old girl knowing the word "fuck", and knowing that it's a bad word, isn't going to destroy the universe. Swearing isn't very nice, but it is NOT a reason to be afraid of someone. I heard a five-year-old calling the ref a "fucking wanker" not so long ago at the footy, are you seriously trying to tell me that you are scared of a five-year-old because he swears?

*sigh*

Big groups of people can appear very threatening, I am not denigrating that fear, which feels very real to the person experiencing it. If you actually paid attention to my argument you would notice that I was saying:

1. A fear of big gangs without them directly doing anything to make you in fear is irrational, no matter how severe the feeling of fear is.

2. Person A having an irrational fear of person B is not a reason to sevely restrict the freedom and liberty of person B. If I have an abject fear of people with beards, should they all be subject to curfew to accomodate my fear?

3. The fear is only created because of ridiculous media reporting anyway. So kids swear and hang around street corners swigging cider: when have kids ever NOT done that? Kids hang around opposite my house, and the worst I've ever experienced is some 12-year-old asking me for a light and calling his mate a "fucking cunt". It's not exactly crime of the century.
  • Options
    Brilliant Kermit you are in a debate thread and feel the need for using personal insults. Nice bit of intelligent debate there! Way to keep the standard up!

Of course it's a problem. It's a CHILDRENS park and BeckyBoo was with her DAUGHTER their. BeckyBoo does not want to subject her daughter to BAD LANGUAGE and thus does not feel that UNDER AGE CHILDREN should be ILLEGALLY drinking alcohol and SWEARING in an area designated for young children. Now your argument is she is unfairly infringing on the liberties of the teenagers despite the fact they are clearly doing something unnacceptable.

I am glad your children will be hearing the word "fuck" out of your mouth and you will educate them with your little picture book at the age of 2 the correct grammer that you excersise when swearing.

It does not matter on the age or individual person involved there is absolutely no excuse for swearing in a childrens play park at all. My argument had nothing to do with fear at all it had to do with the inapprorpriateness of swearing in a childrens play park. I didn't say having young children swearing was something that intimidates me I am saying there is no reason for people to be using that sort of language in an area designated for young children.

I find it very hard to believe many people will support your argument that people SHOULD be allowed to swear in a childrens playground but of course my nostrils are up my arse aren't they which is your opening argument so eloquently put.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Oh for goodness' sake, I'm surprised you can breathe with your nostrils that far up your own bottom.

Kermit read rule 1 as well for future reference. I would of thought by now you would know to read the rules before posting.

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=28758
  • Options
    Brilliant Kermit you are in a debate thread and feel the need for using personal insults. Nice bit of intelligent debate there! Way to keep the standard up!

Of course it's a problem. It's a CHILDRENS park and BeckyBoo was with her DAUGHTER their. BeckyBoo does not want to subject her daughter to BAD LANGUAGE and thus does not feel that UNDER AGE CHILDREN should be ILLEGALLY drinking alcohol and SWEARING in an area designated for young children. Now your argument is she is unfairly infringing on the liberties of the teenagers despite the fact they are clearly doing something unnacceptable.

I am glad your children will be hearing the word "fuck" out of your mouth and you will educate them with your little picture book at the age of 2 the correct grammer that you excersise when swearing.

It does not matter on the age or individual person involved there is absolutely no excuse for swearing in a childrens play park at all. My argument had nothing to do with fear at all it had to do with the inapprorpriateness of swearing in a childrens play park. I didn't say having young children swearing was something that intimidates me I am saying there is no reason for people to be using that sort of language in an area designated for young children.

I find it very hard to believe many people will support your argument that people SHOULD be allowed to swear in a childrens playground but of course my nostrils are up my arse aren't they which is your opening argument so eloquently put.

i'm glad we can't all be as arrogant and patronising as you are...if you look at any major literary pieces this past century, all the greats have used swear words in their works, swearing can be very evocative and isn't a bad thing...so what if children know the F word, they're going to hear it regardless, on TV or from their mates or from people drinking in a park...now tell me...whats so wrong with swearing...does it effect the economy or something? are there cancerous substances in sound vibrations that come from swear words? please i'm dying to know...
  • Options
    Honestly, I'd rather my neices and nephew didn't hear any bad language. I was swearing at 8, and I still swear, and right now I'm struggling to give it up. It's not really done me any damage, but really I don't need to use explitives instead of adjectives my vocabularly is better than that.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Honestly, I'd rather my neices and nephew didn't hear any bad language. I was swearing at 8, and I still swear, and right now I'm struggling to give it up. It's not really done me any damage, but really I don't need to use explitives instead of adjectives my vocabularly is better than that.

:confused: just because swear words aren't in the dictionary doesn't mean they aren't a good way to express emotion and articulate yourself...i don't like the social snobbery surrounding some people, it's like "oh i don't have to say *insert explitive* because i have a high vocabulary and i can say *insert fancy word*...i know a lot of vocabulary but there's nothing better i like to do than swear as you may have noticed on these boards already...
  • Options
  • Options
    actually fuck is in the dictionary.

The fact remains that it should be up to BeckyBoo to regulate the language her daughter hears. Of course she can do this if you imply she can't because she can stop her child watching certain TV programs and not use the language herself. However as soon as some youths start shouting bad language then they take away the decision from her. This is unacceptable in an area that is designed and provided for young children.

Of course turlough your point is irrelevant as young children can not read "major pieces" (which is of course an oppinion so your idea of these pieces could and probably do differ from my own unless you are arrogant enough to believe you know exactly what the major pieces are) so why do they need to know such language yet? I am not arguing against swearing I am arguing against forcing children at such an early age to hear it.

What does fuck mean turlough? Would you like to explain to a very young child or feel its appropriate at such an early age they know? Or will you tell them it has something to do with the Stork? Even better let the teenagers tell them what "fucking" is right after they introduce them to the word.

Good call!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    :confused: just because swear words aren't in the dictionary doesn't mean they aren't a good way to express emotion and articulate yourself...i don't like the social snobbery surrounding some people, it's like "oh i don't have to say *insert explitive* because i have a high vocabulary and i can say *insert fancy word*...i know a lot of vocabulary but there's nothing better i like to do than swear as you may have noticed on these boards already...
    The agression implicit in swearing just isn't necessary. That's my problem with it.
  • Options

Thank you, I was gonna say halleluya but wasnt sure of the spelling :lol:
  • Options
    alleluia or hallelujah
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    alleluia or hallelujah

thank you :D

Im never sure of the spelling of that :blush: