Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Football Icon - Pop Idol with a ball

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I can't actually find a link for this just now but I saw it on Sky Sports News.

In the summer Chelsea are taking part in a football reality tv show called 'Football Icon'. Similar line to shite like Pop Idol except it will be 1000's of wannabe footballers 'auditioning', with the winner receiving a professional contract with the blues. I really didn't believe Chelsea needed to stoop that low just for a bit of publicity. And surely anyone decent enough to win a contract at a premiership side will already be doing fairly well for themselves in football?

I wonder what odds you'd get on Scott Parker entering? :chin:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I agree but sometimes there are players that the scouts miss first time round, and some players dont develop till later in life.
    Ian Wright didn't come into the pro game till late.
    But to be fair it is more of a gimmick.
  • Options
    Ian Wright didn't come into the pro game till late.
    QUOTE]
    Exactly who I was thinking about when I read the first post.

Maybe a bit of a gimmick but so what?? I tell you I wish I was in the age range to enter and it was at Leeds :-) I'd love the chance to go for trials for the club I support and this is giving some young lads a chance to live their dream. I think its an excellent idea and it could un-earth some homegrown talent which is what we want. The more Englishmen in the Premiership is better for the country as a football team and just in general.

Don't see a problem with it personally.
  • Options
    I understand that you have to pay £1.50 to enter.

Someone will be making a shitload of cash off of this...
  • Options
    I dont see the problem with it, could give alot of players the opportunity they need
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I think it's a good idea for the club, a good idea for the potential players and it's going to be quite entertaining.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Sky = tacky, nuff said.

Just a football summer filler programme.
  • Options
    Sky = tacky, nuff said.

Just a football summer filler programme. Sky has nothing else.
  • Options
    Come on people, is this an anti-chelsea thing??

This could make a lot of kids dreams come true, I know it would be my dream to have a chance to play for the club I support. Don't see why the big dis-approval, i probably won't watch any of it but its a giving the kids a chance to live out there dreams.

Anyone here who wouldn't love to be in the age range and have a chance to play for the club they support for a mere £1.50???
  • Options
    Puss,

Do you think it will open and fair - or do you think that someone will already have been scouted and suggestions made for them to enter?

What about those without a hope, is their money going to be returned, if not aren't they just being fleeced?

This isn't about Chelsea at all, I'd feel the same if it was United. The scouting systems work. People have used Ian Wright as an example, but that works the other way too, he made it too - not because of some competition but because he was good enough. I would also add Stuart Pearce to that, look at what he achieved...
  • Options
    I understand that you have to pay £1.50 to enter.

Someone will be making a shitload of cash off of this...

Nice little Premiership winning bonus for Lampard et al. methinks. :yeees:
  • Options
    Do you think it will open and fair - or do you think that someone will already have been scouted and suggestions made for them to enter?
    If they have then its a scam and obviously wrong but why would they do it?? If they have already scouted the talent why go through all this just to give him a contract?? To make money?? Don't think they need cash at all especially not £1.50 off a few thousand people, this kind of money falls through the holes in Abramovics pockets without him realising its missing.

Ian Wright was a success from a late age though, imagine if he had being recognised at 16yrs old, how good could he have being then?? Playing with the best players in the country makes you a hell of a better player, he would have being more of a player than he ever was.